General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Demo ride gone bad...

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 04:51 AM
domenicp7
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Demo ride gone bad...

Just forget about demo days ever go into a dealership when they are giving out free hotdogs. The newbies come tearing into the parking lot like its a pitstop at Daytona. You need to be careful of the ones with the brand new pirate outfits.

Old 03-06-2008, 06:26 AM
badwhine
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Ouch! I saw a demo ride gone bad back in 2002. Guy got off his Iron Horse and onto a Buell for a demo. It didn't take longfor disaster to strike.

Old 03-06-2008, 06:57 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Heard of these, never have seen one, and really don't want to. Bike crashes, be they newbies, morons, traffic gone bad, whatever, bum me out, period. The only bike I've everdemo rode is a V Rod at a Demo day, when they first came out. If you haven't ridden one, DO, very stable platform anda GOOD ride.
Wanna ride the Cap'n. Kick it and go. I don't have a problem. Only 2 ppl have ever gotten it away from the curb. And only because I told them about the shifter. I am too paranoid to ride someone else's ride. Did ride a buddy's Ultra back from Tenn because he was having back spasms. I never leave someone stranded. He rode in the rig with Momma. He is also one of the 2 guys who got the chop away from the curb.

Old 03-06-2008, 08:17 AM
GreeneyedT
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't believe how many people have the nards to ask to ride my scoot. I bought it new in May &the first time I rode it to work, I had 3 or 4 people ask for the keys. Sure....I just shelled out $20,000 on a new ride. I would be more than happy to hand you the keys. Want to take my hub for a ride too? Let me give you my ATM card & keys to the house while I'm at it. Would you like to try on my underwear too? When the last guy asked to take it for a ride, I asked if he could afford to replace it if he wrecked. He informed me that it would be absolutely no problem. I believe his exact words were, "Of course, I make a lot more than you do." Therefore, I promptly advised him that there was a dealer less than 2 miles away that would be happy to help him out. Some people have more ***** than brains.

Old 03-06-2008, 09:09 AM
kudzu35
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I've ridden my mom's husband's '03 Softail Classic and was very timid first time getting on it. I've only asked to ride it once and while he has no problem with it I do. I just, ungh... I never rode a demo on a Harley but I have on a Triumph Daytona 675. Triumph actually encourages buyers to test ride and they get someone from the shop to ride with you. I've seen some first time sportbike riders have a terrible experience just out of the lot. Someone buys a Yahama R1 or Suzuki GSX-R 1000 or even that monster Hayabusa and wreck it within a mile from the shop while the sales men just laugh. When I bought my Sporty in 2006, a guy was buying a KTM 400 and dumped it right in front of the dealer's drive way.

I just had'em trailer it to my house.

Old 03-06-2008, 10:47 AM
Gypsylady
-Moderator-"Wench with a Wrench and Queen of Quips"
Received 1,980 Likes on 755 Posts

I let a friend ride mine a few years ago. He was killed. NOBODY rides my bike & I don't ride theirs. The sad part is, even after I tell them why, they STILL want to argue with me!

Old 03-06-2008, 11:34 AM
big_al
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It really sucks to be "HIM" right about now!!!

What a dumbass!!!!

Old 03-06-2008, 12:15 PM
MyFirstHD
Road Master

I am glad they do demo rides, but I waited until I had a few years and quite a few miles under me before ridinga strange bike.

Rode the Gold Wing and it felt so weird I was worried I'd drop it in the lot. A couple months later I demo'd the Electa Glide Ultra. Again, too worried about dropping it to even think about getting on the gas. I'm not a bad rider, but there are always a couple dozen people watching as you leave,like they are watching NACAR for the crash.

I want to demo the V-Rod this spring, but I will probably be too worried about dropping it to jump right on the throttle. Still, glad there are dealers that let us demo.

Please, let's not be so wreckless that we screw it up for the next generation that wants to test ride a model befor buying one.

Old 03-06-2008, 01:03 PM
06train
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: TowJam

ORIGINAL: blueduece

So i am at the local dealer yesterday for their open house, its later in the afternoon, about 4:00. I have already done my shopping and i am in the process of putting my 21/2 year old in the truck. I hear a V-rod start up and watch as the demo rider starts to pull out of the parking lot, the whole time he is headed towards the street he is revving the throttle. He pulls onto the street, which is a two lane each way and very busy. Doesnt he whack the throttle one more time as he pulls out, sends the rear of the bike to the left, gets off the throttle, rear of the bike goes to the right and then its all over, bike tumbles and does a cart wheel, he tumbles with it, thought for sure there was going to be blood and/or boken bones. He seemed to be ok, looked shook up and limping a little, the bike didnt look so good, bent handle bars, big dent in tank, fender smashed and lots of scratched paint.
What a f***ing idiot.

This is exactly why most motorcycles dealers (outside of BWM and Harley) don't offer demo rides. [sm=headbang.gif]
Hell dude if Iwere selling bikes I would encourage it

Old 03-06-2008, 01:51 PM
Jrsess
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts

Some people think all roads are race tracks!

Quick Reply: Demo ride gone bad...