Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A few Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 07:44 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 327 Likes on 189 Posts

I noticed you have an '08 so the answer isn't simple.
Most instructors will tell you to use the thumb switch first. There are two reasons for this. 1. It keeps the switch clean and working properly.
2. It becomes instinct, if you need to shut a bike off in an emergency.

Now for the '08 complication. If you accidentally rotate the throttle as you hit the kill switch it may reset the idle speed of your bike. (This was a little bug with the throttle by wire system, I think they corrected it in later years). Using the ignition switch reduces the possibility of this because you will probably remove you right hand from the throttle to reach for the ignition switch.

Now for the fix. If you find that your bike want to idle at much more than 1100 RPM it is easy to fix. Simply cycle the ignition switch on and off 4 or 5 times waiting a few seconds at each position without touching the throttle or starting the bike.

Old 12-01-2010, 07:46 PM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

2008 Softail Models manual pg 37
The engine off/run switch should be used to shut the engine off.

Old 12-01-2010, 07:46 PM
chrisangie
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In the owner's manual for a 2010 softail is says "The engine off/run switch should be used to shut the engine off."

Old 12-01-2010, 07:54 PM
mctwist
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess if there was a problem with using one way or another then they would'nt have made both switches do the same thing, right?

Old 12-01-2010, 08:00 PM
lonslo
Intermediate

Originally Posted by piasspj
I noticed you have an '08 so the answer isn't simple.
Most instructors will tell you to use the thumb switch first. There are two reasons for this. 1. It keeps the switch clean and working properly.
2. It becomes instinct, if you need to shut a bike off in an emergency.

Now for the '08 complication. If you accidentally rotate the throttle as you hit the kill switch it may reset the idle speed of your bike. (This was a little bug with the throttle by wire system, I think they corrected it in later years). Using the ignition switch reduces the possibility of this because you will probably remove you right hand from the throttle to reach for the ignition switch.

Now for the fix. If you find that your bike want to idle at much more than 1100 RPM it is easy to fix. Simply cycle the ignition switch on and off 4 or 5 times waiting a few seconds at each position without touching the throttle or starting the bike.
piasspj, there is a easy fix for the idle issue you describe, tt380 is a free download that solves this problem , also will give you the heat management system. dealer installed it for me and it solved that problem, took about 3 minutes.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:05 PM
rogerthat
Novice

According to the schematic for my 04, the kill switch takes power off of a pin on the security module and the main switch takes power off of that plus the lighting, fuel injectors, accessories, etc. Both the security module and the ECM remain powered regardless of which switch (or both) are chosen (how else would the alarm work?). I'd say it doesn't matter except for the issue of keeping the kill switch clean and habituation of hitting it first to kill the engine in an emergency. My $.02.

Old 12-01-2010, 09:52 PM
1skrewsloose
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Kinda a strange post until the advent of ecm's and all. Just kill the motor and be done with it. Are they going to include this info in the MSF school?
Sometimetimes technology is not your friend!!

Old 12-01-2010, 10:07 PM
CEJohnson21
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Kill switch on the handlebar and than the switch on the tank.

Old 12-01-2010, 10:07 PM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I doubt that it matters but I'll use the manual's method - kill switch then ignition switch.

Old 12-01-2010, 10:26 PM
treefiddy
Road Master
Received 29 Likes on 10 Posts

Quick Reply: A few Questions