Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Apparently I have no skill

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 03:21 PM
Ragnar Danneskjöld
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Apparently I have no skill

I've only been riding for nearly a year (6000 or so miles since March), but I still have a problem with dirt/sandy roads.

I see people who take decent turns or curves without issue, but whenever I do my rear tire just slides out, even if I'm not accelerating or using the brakes. Is it something you just simply get used to?

Old 12-01-2010, 03:27 PM
dortiz
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Only 3000 miles for me. I take a dirt/gravel road to get home. I find a constant and smooth throttle fixes it. The smoother and more constant I enter the area, especially really loose gravel the smoother I cruise through.

Old 12-01-2010, 03:45 PM
Blargh
Road Captain

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45hRT...layer_embedded#!

this is ewan mcgregors crash in dirt in the 'long way down' movie, some discussion about how he didn't keep pressure on the foot on the outside peg in the turn, he didn't turn into the skid, and also he should not lean into the turn as he would in street riding

Last edited by Blargh; 12-01-2010 at 03:50 PM.
Old 12-01-2010, 03:51 PM
MATUCHI
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you pick up a dirt bike you will learn all sorts of tricks. I started on a dirt bike and still ride one.

Old 12-01-2010, 03:54 PM
sonoffatboy
Tourer

Originally Posted by MATUCHI
If you pick up a dirt bike you will learn all sorts of tricks. I started on a dirt bike and still ride one.

true dat...

Old 12-01-2010, 03:54 PM
Ragnar Danneskjöld
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by MATUCHI
I've been thinking a bit about that lately. The reason I'm so paranoid on dirt roads is because I don't want to damage the bike because of something so stupid. A dirt bike would allow me to practice and not worry about dumping it (barring serious damage).

Old 12-01-2010, 03:58 PM
sonoffatboy
Tourer

Originally Posted by X04D
I've been thinking a bit about that lately. The reason I'm so paranoid on dirt roads is because I don't want to damage the bike because of something so stupid. A dirt bike would allow me to practice and not worry about dumping it (barring serious damage).
really just keep at it..it will come...you may be just too tensed up...

Old 12-01-2010, 04:00 PM
Ragnar Danneskjöld
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by sonoffatboy
really just keep at it..it will come...you may be just too tensed up...
Probably has to do with my two drops already. First one was trying to do a u turn on paved road covered with dirt from construction, at night, with tinted lenses. Second one was while riding in the rain, but it's because I was riding too fast and had to apply more brake than I should have.

I'll get over it eventually. I just want to ride competently so I don't have to avoid certain roads.

Old 12-01-2010, 04:04 PM
RPS1981
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dortiz
I take a dirt/gravel road to get home.
Man, I've got a gravel driveway and the dust on my bike from that makes me crazy. I can't imagine a dirt/gravel road.

Old 12-01-2010, 04:05 PM
klf33
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by X04D
Probably has to do with my two drops already. First one was trying to do a u turn on paved road covered with dirt from construction, at night, with tinted lenses. Second one was while riding in the rain, but it's because I was riding too fast and had to apply more brake than I should have.

I'll get over it eventually. I just want to ride competently so I don't have to avoid certain roads.
take it easy, run your pace, everybody is different,
I did not 'enjoy a relaxing' ride on my first bike until after 5K miles, and I did not feel confident around grooves/sand/gravel until after maybe 15K of riding and going to racing school (track racing school with sport bikes) and riding a bit of dirt bikes.

So, relax, take it easy, and do not feel pressured, remember it is all muscle memory.

Quick Reply: Apparently I have no skill