General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you have bought a Harley if...

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 07:20 AM
BigGdawg
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"As for blindly being patriotic, I heard that before, and then laughed it off as I watched all the Walmart shoppers with their carts full of Chinese imported crap crying because they lost their jobs in the industry they were employed with. They said that on camera in tears just before they got in their Hondas and drove away. It's not blind patriotism my friend its called putting back into our own economy what you take out. " Good words ^^^

Old 11-29-2010, 07:22 AM
RamAirThree
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Captain Chaos
I'm sure I have an EXTREMELY unpopular opinion but I would be MORE likely to buy a Harley if it weren't for that "stump puller" v-twin engine.

I have nothing against the v-twin in fact, I like the general power characteristics of them (I.E. how they make power). My problem with Harley's V-twin is how little power they make. As a self confessed power junkie 65hp does not get me excited. The thought of spending $2000-$3000 to make the power it should have had to start with doesn't excite me either (heaven forbid I should actually try to make GOOD power-$$$$$$$$$). I like turning a wrench as much as the next guy but I HATE feeling like I'm wasting money. There are plenty of twins out there that make good power straight off the showroom floor (many for a lesser MSRP) and that $2-3G investment it would take to make a decent performing Harley will make quite the scream ride on one of them. I did own a Buell at one time and even though it was a little short on power it was still satisfying and it had all of the "character" of my Sportster. Selling that bike was a bit of a blunder. Until Harley starts putting a little more emphasis on power this will probably be my last Harley but not necessarily my last v-twin.
I understand what you are saying but if I am not mistaken I believe at the most when comparing cruisers (not the rocket bikes of course) at the most there is only a difference of 10 hp if that much depending on model to model and I remember hearing in some comparison where Harley had more. I also was under the understanding that Harley seem to be a better balanced bike. You do get more torque hence the out of the hole "stump pulling torque" and that's where you get your times in the 1/4 mile or as some say that's what gets you through the gears. HP is just top end....
I do know the Japanese versions have a worse resale value in every case and in the long run unless you go nuts in aftermarket parts with the money lost in resale value it breaks down to being a compatible investment.
I am not trying to sway you understand but only adding more insight to consider plus if you are a fan of the v-twin sound and feel, you cannot replicate either with foreign as design is the reason for that.
Just some thought, but you are the one that has to be happy so trying out different bikes isn't a bad thing. In the end it's all about what thrills us.

Last edited by RamAirThree; 11-29-2010 at 07:32 AM.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:38 AM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoff
I'd buy a Harley if it wasn't a V-twin. There's lots more to a Harley than the motor.
+ 1, but I sure do love the sound and feel of the HD V-twin.

Old 11-29-2010, 07:51 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Heck No,the heart of a Harley,what makes a Harley a Harley, is the Air Cooled V-Twin.If it ever goes away it will spell the end of an era spanning many generations.

Old 11-29-2010, 11:17 AM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by schumacher
Indian made more than just V-Twins, just like Harley.
Doesn't anyone in here know any motorcycle history at all?
Yes we know many different engine designs were used. They make what will sell and others will try to capture part of that market.
I guess my point didn't come across in this coulda shoulda woulda thread.

Old 11-29-2010, 11:48 AM
cadman311
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was in my early riding days I had Italian Harley Davidson 1967 Harley Davidson Sprint. I took that bike and made a rat bike out of it. It was the best little bar hopping bike around. You sat about a foot off the ground with a chopped front end and sound like a half of a Harley going down the road. Back then I would keep six bikes in my yard. The need for speed and being young. Yes I had a bunch of jap 4 cylinder bikes.

Old 11-29-2010, 03:30 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by XL50#674
+ 1, but I sure do love the sound and feel of the HD V-twin.
+2. They're very unique

Old 11-29-2010, 08:29 PM
Gruamach
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If Harleys didn't have the engine that it's had for 100+ years now....it probably wouldn't still exist.
The motor is part (a major part, I think) of why Harley has existed as the ONLY American company to still be around for an unbroken 100 years.

Old 11-29-2010, 08:34 PM
RamAirThree
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gruamach
If Harleys didn't have the engine that it's had for 100+ years now....it probably wouldn't still exist.
The motor is part (a major part, I think) of why Harley has existed as the ONLY American company to still be around for an unbroken 100 years.
another great point, you either love it or you don't but I am yet to see any other manufacturer able to clone the feel and sound of a Harley in the modern market.

Old 11-29-2010, 08:36 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Gruamach
well.......

Pfizer Drugs founded 1849
Levi's 1850
Arrow Shirts 1851

I'll stop there

Quick Reply: Would you have bought a Harley if...