General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you have bought a Harley if...

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 07:19 PM
RamAirThree
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by .357 Magnum
A few of us were talking about that on the Sportster forum recently. Turns out, that stereotype died back in the '80s. Harley's made a lot more technological advancements popular than most other manufacturers.

Off the top of your head, can you name another motorcycle manufacturer whose entire lineup (including their smallest bikes) has EFI? Harley is, to my knowledge, the first company to embrace that new technology this wholly and completely.

Off the top of your head, can you name another motorcycle manufacturer whose entire lineup of street-legal bikes was all either shaft-driven or Kevlar/Aramid/carbon-fiber belt driven before Harley? Most other manufacturers have been trying to get away from chains for a while, but it's Harley that made it so popular. Victories, Yamahas, etc. would probably still be chain-driven if Harley hadn't pushed the development of belts made from modern materials and worked out a lot of the kinks.

There are more examples: dual-compound tires stock on tourers, disc brakes all around (hell, Honda's knockoff of the Sportster still has a drum brake on the rear, and it even costs more than an entry-level Sporty!), fly-by-wire throttle control, ABS... turns out Harley is just really good at picking which new technologies actually improve usability and maintainability, and eschew the "tech-for-tech's sake" "upgrades."

And of course, we're all out buying them. We don't stick our noses in the air and refuse to buy them because they've moved on past cables, carbs, points ignition, and all that crap. Harley customers like it modern... but only when there's a good reason for it! Don't stick a radiator on my engine; I don't want to have to check yet another fluid, fix yet another source of leaks, and have yet another periodic maintenance to perform. But yes I do like my oil-free belt drive, thank-you-very-much!
well said but I have to be honest here, I remember buying my first electric start Harley and all the kicker dudes booed me... Needless to say with age they soon swallowed their words. Especially the guys like me that have stroked motors and stuff... lol.

Btw... wasn't the Honda Goldwing the first successful shaft driven bike? Not trying to deny your post just confused if I am mixing up on my memory or not.

Old 11-28-2010, 07:30 PM
motordrum
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by schumacher
Harley made a lot of dirt/scooter etc type bikes that Harley owners bought up. So does this thread say that if today Harley brought back some of the other stuff (which I personally would find cool, regardless of where it was made) that a lot of you wouldn't buy it? I personally think it would sell amazingly well

Hey Schu! I've got 2 of those Rapido's (bottom pic and made in Italy Harley/Aermacchi btw) in my garage that I am in the process of rebuilding. When I get them done you should come on over and we can race them!

Last edited by motordrum; 11-28-2010 at 07:35 PM.
Old 11-28-2010, 07:37 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by motordrum
Hey Schu! I've got 2 of those Rapido's (bottom pic and made in Italy Harley/Aermacchi btw) in my garage that I am in the process of rebuilding. When I get them done you should come on over and we can race them!
sounds like a plan

Old 11-28-2010, 07:41 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Off the top of your head, can you name another motorcycle manufacturer whose entire lineup of street-legal bikes was all either shaft-driven or Kevlar/Aramid/carbon-fiber belt driven before Harley?
BMW

and yer missing my point 357. Harley regularly introduced new models that were much more than adding some chrome or lowering an existing model. Big difference from whats being done today.
I'm not knocking Harley in this thread. I'm defending their history, and pointing out the majority of Harley riders today don't want change or new models, and that attitude ends up hurting Harley. Moco becomes the victim because of limited thinking, something the company has never had to deal with before.

Last edited by schumacher; 11-28-2010 at 07:47 PM.
Old 11-28-2010, 07:58 PM
heybaylor
Stellar HDF Member
Received 143 Likes on 83 Posts
Default amazing

this thread is wonderful..If only Black and Decker,IBM, and a few other manufactures had "kept the illusion of made in America"
Harley has done a great job of waving the Flag..

My 1991 sportie has a frame designed ,made in America..
However the evolution engine is designed in Japan
Has a Kehin carb (japanese)
the electrics are all Japanese, as is the suspension. (,I/E showa) Most of the parts are made in Mexico ,as are the mercury outboard(american outboard)
point is , nothing is totaly made in america anymore , so get over that crap.
I own two HD's (91 sportie,03 Fatboy) because they re-sell good .
But my favorite bike is a old Honda CX500 , cause it dont break, or make me spend foolish money to make it custom ,( if you put lipstick on a pig , it is still a pig) go figgure.

back in the fifties, the good bikes were " limey bikes"
BSA,Triump,Areial..
If you wanted to ride , then that's what you bought.

The HD's were oil leaking( on the showroom floor) ,heavy and only old guy's/ and police bought them . .
Now to the future!!!
HD has done a outstanding job of advertising, supported by dyed in the wool loyalest bikers..( I am one of them )

IT does have a mystic about it
Where else can you get 50 year old suspension design , vibrating engine that has to be rubber-mounted, and a unbalanced engine(fires both cylinders on the same crank revolution?
(think they added counterbalance"bandaid" on some) way too heavy to flick around corners, wobbles in curves, and has marginal brakes?

All This said , I do like to feel the vibes , and only have owned them since 1956
I cant explain it !!!!

Old 11-28-2010, 08:16 PM
dirtracin23
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JayStronghawk
Saw a brand new 57 Harley-Davidson when I was 8 years old and said that's what I want.. 12 years later made it reality .. 40 years after that still riding them ..
If you didn't, I bet you wish now you would've kept that first one around. Be real nice to have to bee bop to the local waterin' hole or coffee shop.

Old 11-28-2010, 08:20 PM
RamAirThree
Road Captain

Originally Posted by heybaylor
this thread is wonderful..If only Black and Decker,IBM, and a few other manufactures had "kept the illusion of made in America"
Harley has done a great job of waving the Flag..

My 1991 sportie has a frame designed ,made in America..
However the evolution engine is designed in Japan
Has a Kehin carb (japanese)
the electrics are all Japanese, as is the suspension. (,I/E showa) Most of the parts are made in Mexico ,as are the mercury outboard(american outboard)
point is , nothing is totaly made in america anymore , so get over that crap.
I own two HD's (91 sportie,03 Fatboy) because they re-sell good .
But my favorite bike is a old Honda CX500 , cause it dont break, or make me spend foolish money to make it custom ,( if you put lipstick on a pig , it is still a pig) go figgure.

back in the fifties, the good bikes were " limey bikes"
BSA,Triump,Areial..
If you wanted to ride , then that's what you bought.

The HD's were oil leaking( on the showroom floor) ,heavy and only old guy's/ and police bought them . .
Now to the future!!!
HD has done a outstanding job of advertising, supported by dyed in the wool loyalest bikers..( I am one of them )

IT does have a mystic about it
Where else can you get 50 year old suspension design , vibrating engine that has to be rubber-mounted, and a unbalanced engine(fires both cylinders on the same crank revolution?
(think they added counterbalance"bandaid" on some) way too heavy to flick around corners, wobbles in curves, and has marginal brakes?

All This said , I do like to feel the vibes , and only have owned them since 1956
I cant explain it !!!!
True but you can thanks world trade for that and the need to compete but none the less the roots are in America and so is the mystique so I still support it with pride.

As for too heavy, they are lighter or equal to most comparable models I read about. Never had a problem with wobble in the curves and as for marginal brakes .... well that's what skill, a wrench and after market parts are for and you should still be ahead of the game in comparison to what the other bike's depreciation will cost you in the long run.

Old 11-28-2010, 08:31 PM
.357 Magnum
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RamAirThree
well said but I have to be honest here, I remember buying my first electric start Harley and all the kicker dudes booed me... Needless to say with age they soon swallowed their words. Especially the guys like me that have stroked motors and stuff... lol.

Btw... wasn't the Honda Goldwing the first successful shaft driven bike? Not trying to deny your post just confused if I am mixing up on my memory or not.
Yeah, those "kicker purists" sure shut up after a few times of not gettin' 'er turned over right away, and getting left behind.

Same fuss when points ignition went to electronic. "I can't fix it on the side of the road!" fussed the old-timers. "I don't have to fix it at all, ever" said those who understood that "change for an obvious improvement only" is good.

As for Honda, yes, they used shaft-drives before Harley used belts, but Honda still has chains in its lineup, for some reason. They should take a hint from Suzuki, whose cruiser line is mostly shaft-drive, but they finally added a belt drive to their smallest models (the S40, I think they're called?) So now Suzuki has caught up to Harley in maintenance-free final drive on everything. I was all happy with Honda when I saw that they'd finally added shaft drive to their VFR Interceptor... but then they added a new 600cc-class replacement, the Varadero, that's chain-driven again! Now there's a company that's stuck in the past. Hel-lo Honda! Try to keep up, please!

Old 11-28-2010, 08:40 PM
RamAirThree
Road Captain

Originally Posted by .357 Magnum
Yeah, those "kicker purists" sure shut up after a few times of not gettin' 'er turned over right away, and getting left behind.

Same fuss when points ignition went to electronic. "I can't fix it on the side of the road!" fussed the old-timers. "I don't have to fix it at all, ever" said those who understood that "change for an obvious improvement only" is good.

As for Honda, yes, they used shaft-drives before Harley used belts, but Honda still has chains in its lineup, for some reason. They should take a hint from Suzuki, whose cruiser line is mostly shaft-drive, but they finally added a belt drive to their smallest models (the S40, I think they're called?) So now Suzuki has caught up to Harley in maintenance-free final drive on everything. I was all happy with Honda when I saw that they'd finally added shaft drive to their VFR Interceptor... but then they added a new 600cc-class replacement, the Varadero, that's chain-driven again! Now there's a company that's stuck in the past. Hel-lo Honda! Try to keep up, please!
Ha!!!! I do not miss points at all. Think I still have the feel-a-gauge in my tool bag though for some reason... lol. I got ya on the shaft drive thing and great info as well. Sorry about that, I just remember I had an Uncle with a 78 Goldwing and remember it as the first time I ever saw shaft drive on a bike, so when you posted that I thought I was having a brain fart.

Old 11-28-2010, 09:07 PM
NR4TW
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RamAirThree
Yeah I ran into some of those Yamahas and Hondas... lol. I felt bad when the frustrated owner of that Honda 1800 even realized he needed me to throw out a rope for him to hold on to so his bike could keep up with my Sporty.
Well you can delude yourself into believing your Sportster is going to outrun the 113ci Yamaha that's in the Raider, and the Stratoliner, but the reality is those bikes are putting out much greater power than your Sportster, even if it is a 1200. The facts as proven on the dyno show the Yamaha 113ci engine and Victory 100ci engine put the TC96 to shame. Believe what you want, but the facts show you are just flat out wrong.
On another note my Gawd man does not anyone ride to back American made anymore, to show American pride? I just can't seem to comprehend this boasting of foreign machinery. Guess I was raised differently. I mean I have nothing against foreign bikes on the road but to hear boasting for foreign and nothing but complaints for domestic just has me dumbfounded.
That crap is tired. The most American thing someone can do is spend their money however they choose. The most American thing a US company can do is put out a product that competes well in the marketplace on it's merits and doesn't rely on someone choosing the product because it's made in America rather than choosing it based on it's merits.
I do not think some realize how much work and design is involved for an unbalanced air cooled bike to compete against an easier designed balanced water cooled bike. Come on give Harley some credit.
Well H-D can continue to rely on brand loyalty and false patriotism, or they can advance technology and put out a product that can compete on it's merits. Dependence on brand loyalty and false patriotism is losing strategy, and history shows that innovation and producing a quality product are what have actually helped H-D compete in the past.

The V-twin itself when put into production in 1907 and re-introduced in 1911, is an example of H-D using innovation and actually competing in the market to beat the competition. The introduction of the Evolution engine in 1984 is another example of H-D innovating to compete in the market.

Also, before you lecture me about supporting American products, and pushing false patriotism, you should learn a little about the history of H-D. The company did one of the most un-American things possible in 1983 when they begged the government to impose tariffs on motorcycle imports with a displacement greater than 700cc. Rather than actually compete in the market on the merits of the bikes, H-D asked the government to hamstring the competition.

Again, I really like my H-D, but unlike you I refuse blindly support one brand and ignore the merits of other brands/models.

Quick Reply: Would you have bought a Harley if...