General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First bike suggestions..

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 02:49 AM
oi2342001
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First bike suggestions..

Hi all,

I found this forum a few days ago and have been on it almost none stop. This is great stuff you guys have here, tons of info about everything Harley related. My question is about a first bike. I got my license a couple years ago and passed the MSF course getting the best course score in my group (only 6 peolpe but I am still proud and it would have been perfect but I stopped 3 feet past the stop line at the end [:@]) and I haven't been on a bike since then. As a lot of you know also we rode in a parking lot so I have no "real" riding experience. I really want to get a Harley (probably a sportser) but I am having second thought about it for my first bike. I'm thinking that I should get a rice burner instead (def not my first or second choice but I wont have to worry about dropping it or messing up some shiney chrome). I still have at least a year before I get something (I am a sr. in college and would like to get something after I graduate), but I've been looking for a couple years now and now I'm really getting serious about it.

Also if I get a Harley I would get a new one or slightly used one. If I get a rice burner I wouldn't mind getting one used just something to learn on. So what I'm getting at is do you guys and gals think it would be best to go with a rice burner to learn on or a Harley.

Thanks,
Mike

Old 09-24-2006, 02:53 AM
Taildraggerdave
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: First bike suggestions..

Get the Harley.
If you get a Metric, then whenever you ride, and whomever you meet, you'll always be saying that you wanted the HD but settled for the other. Get the HD you want the first time. If money is an issue then wait until it isn't.

Old 09-24-2006, 03:11 AM
ThePirate
Cruiser

If you're still learning then it doesn't matter what you get. Pick up a cheap import and get as much time in the saddle as you can. IMO if you get a new HD even if it is a sportster you will be too worried about dropping it and not concentrating on riding. Oh, for your info we just had a TROLL in hear asking oppinions and his name was MIKE, so go easy and you'll get all the info you want.

Old 09-24-2006, 04:38 AM
fatrob
Cruiser

Hi Mike

I was like you couple of years ago - I bought myself a new Sportster, an 883 custom. I loved that bike and it seemed perfect for me (I'd done all my training at Rider's Edge so had already ridden a few Harleys). Sportie's gone now but there's a shiny new Heritage wher it used to be! Go do it!

Old 09-24-2006, 07:48 AM
RudeDog
Road Warrior
Received 14 Likes on 2 Posts

Buy rice for your first bike. Think of how you'll feel the first time you see your bike going skidding down the road on it's side in front of you or lying on it's side next to you. Would you feel better knowing it's a honda or a Harley? We're all prone to slight mistakes when perfecting our skills. A slight misjudgement on 2 wheels is totally different than it is on 4 wheels. Put the roadrash on the honda and save the enjoyment for the Harley.

Old 09-24-2006, 09:05 AM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

your in college right,,,, that means open parking,,,, hassel with maint. proby not many tools, security,,, drinking, I would find a used bike like honda shadow, there cheap,and tuff,,,,once you land a decent job , look at purchasing a big twin like a HD dyna,,,, by pass the sporty, no one keeps them long anyway,,,,,, then you can pass the jap bike down to your wife or g/f

Old 09-24-2006, 09:35 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: electaRICK

your in college right,,,, that means open parking,,,, hassel with maint. proby not many tools, security,,, drinking, I would find a used bike like honda shadow, there cheap,and tuff,,,,once you land a decent job , look at purchasing a big twin like a HD dyna,,,, by pass the sporty, no one keeps them long anyway,,,,,, then you can pass the jap bike down to your wife or g/f

First part makes alot of sense. I disagree about by-passing the Sportster. I've been riding 60+ years and that's my current ride !! (love it)

Old 09-24-2006, 10:08 AM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 82 Likes on 77 Posts

ORIGINAL: oi2342001...My question is about a first bike. I got my license a couple years ago and passed the MSF course getting the best course score in my group (only 6 peolpe but I am still proud and it would have been perfect but I stopped 3 feet past the stop line at the end and I haven't been on a bike since then. As a lot of you know also we rode in a parking lot so I have no "real" riding experience. I really want to get a Harley (probably a sportser) but I am having second thought about it for my first bike. I'm thinking that I should get a rice burner instead (def not my first or second choice but I wont have to worry about dropping it or messing up some shiney chrome). I still have at least a year before I get something (I am a sr. in college and would like to get something after I graduate), but I've been looking for a couple years now and now I'm really getting serious about it.

Also if I get a Harley I would get a new one or slightly used one. If I get a rice burner I wouldn't mind getting one used just something to learn on. So what I'm getting at is do you guys and gals think it would be best to go with a rice burner to learn on or a Harley...
I think you pretty much answered your own question....Get a Honda. If you want something that you're not gonna get all spastic about when ya drop it the first time....Get a used Honda. Get something big enough: Honda Shadow or equivalent as it seems you want a 'cruiser' style bike. Something that you're not gonna get 'tossed' around too much on the highways by the wind/semis/RVs. Ride the crap outta it (and get the crap scared outta yourself); in every type of weather, every time of day, and in every type of traffic.

Dollar for dollar, I can't really say whether you'll get hurt either way purchasing a slightly used Shadow vs a 'slightly' used Sportster...Then in a year (or two) selling it for the HD that you want. You can buy handfulls of nice Honda Shadow models for around $5K (or less), versus paying around $7K (and up) for a used low mile 1200 Sporty. Remember that if the bike's got over 10K miles on it, you're gonna have to think about a new set of tires soon. Use this opportunity (and the cost difference) to acquire all your riding gear too. Get the good stuff and it's gonna be expensive; Helmet, Leathers, rainsuit, Boots, Gloves, etc, etc..

Good luck...And welcome to the 'club'.

Old 09-24-2006, 10:20 AM
KeithB
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Mike, you got a lot of advice, so i will just say welcome to HDF.

Old 09-24-2006, 11:01 AM
grunt
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hell, get a used 80s version Sporty. Goes for around 3000. Not the prettiest, not the fastest, but good to learn on. Worse case, get a Buell Blast (used). Seen a few only 2 years old and $2000. Very easy to ride, great mpg

Quick Reply: First bike suggestions..