General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Your RESULTS of tire pressure check

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 09:47 AM
fernman
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Your RESULTS of tire pressure check

Having high-sided my newly purchased gently used Classic in TWO turns before I realized the front tire pressure was 15 pounds and the rear was 12 pounds (she had been jewelry in the PO's garage for three years and I was a Classic dumb-*** not to check the pressure), I signed on to the check it at least weekly crowd. There was a recent thread on how often we check pressure, but interestingly, no commentary on the findings or how often more compressed 79% nitrogen was needed. Also, no mention of whether there was an allowable range before adding .79N.

So...

During riding season, I check the pressure on Sunday afternoon. Generally, I have to pull out the compressor every other Sunday. During this time of the year, here in NC we might have three nice days per month. I check the pressure before each of these, and generally find I'm 2-3 psi down.

I run 40psi in the rear Elite III and 36 in the front. I will allow 2 psi below these numbers for <100 mile journeys due to the absolute PITA of rolling the bike around to find the valve stem, dragging out the 12v compressor, hooking it up, attaching it to the stem and overpumping to allow letdown.

What's your mileage on this matter? Results and do you have a tolerance, or are you OCD obsessed?

Rainy and 58° in Central NC. Good day to ride on the internet.

Final note... last tire installer put a paint dot on the tire where the valve stem resides. Nice touch on a bagger. Really helps. And yes, I do have to lie down to do the back tire.

Old 11-26-2010, 09:51 AM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by fernman
Having high-sided my newly purchased gently used Classic in TWO turns before I realized the front tire pressure was 15 pounds and the rear was 12 pounds (she had been jewelry in the PO's garage for three years and I was a Classic dumb-*** not to check the pressure), I signed on to the check it at least weekly crowd. There was a recent thread on how often we check pressure, but interestingly, no commentary on the findings or how often more compressed 79% nitrogen was needed. Also, no mention of whether there was an allowable range before adding .79N.

So...

During riding season, I check the pressure on Sunday afternoon. Generally, I have to pull out the compressor every other Sunday. During this time of the year, here in NC we might have three nice days per month. I check the pressure before each of these, and generally find I'm 2-3 psi down.

I run 40psi in the rear Elite III and 36 in the front. I will allow 2 psi below these numbers for <100 mile journeys due to the absolute PITA of rolling the bike around to find the valve stem, dragging out the 12v compressor, hooking it up, attaching it to the stem and overpumping to allow letdown.

What's your mileage on this matter? Results and do you have a tolerance, or are you OCD obsessed?

Rainy and 58° in Central NC. Good day to ride on the internet.

Final note... last tire installer put a paint dot on the tire where the valve stem resides. Nice touch on a bagger. Really helps. And yes, I do have to lie down to do the back tire.
The installer didn't put that dot on your tire, the tire maker did.
Some go at the stem, some go opposite the stem, depending on who made the tire.

No need to get over complicated with the tire checks. Leakdown will be different for everyone. Just check them once in a while, and if they are low add some air. A few pounds low will be enough for me to get the hose out.

Old 11-26-2010, 09:52 AM
Tech23
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I check my tire pressure after each high side.

Tech23

Old 11-26-2010, 09:53 AM
dirtracin23
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not in the "weekly checker" crowd but I do check tire pressure at least once or twice a month and always before a big trip. I do it while up on the bike jack for a bath so no problem for me to find the valve stems.

Old 11-26-2010, 09:53 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,966 Likes on 4,159 Posts
Default Tire pressure

Need to keep a check. Check mine monthly. Since it cooled off around 45 degrees at night caught my front at 21 lb. (normally 30) Small Deuce front does not take much to be off 10lb. My back was about 31 (normally 36) Can not tell by looking or kicking

Old 11-26-2010, 10:03 AM
skidder
Extreme HDF Member
Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts

Use the Official Harley Davidson Tire Pressure Checker thinga ma doo dad thingee.

Old 11-26-2010, 10:20 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,354 Likes on 2,533 Posts

Originally Posted by fernman
Having high-sided my newly purchased gently used Classic in TWO turns before I realized the front tire pressure was 15 pounds and the rear was 12 pounds (she had been jewelry in the PO's garage for three years and I was a Classic dumb-*** not to check the pressure),
am i understanding that you wrecked your new bike twice right after you bought it?

if so, that really sucks. but i also can't believe that you took a vehicle that was sitting for 3 years and didn't check the tire pressure. what else didn't you check? you might want to go over that bike with a fine tooth comb....

Old 11-26-2010, 11:22 AM
albertasaurus
Road Master
Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch
am i understanding that you wrecked your new bike twice right after you bought it?

if so, that really sucks. but i also can't believe that you took a vehicle that was sitting for 3 years and didn't check the tire pressure. what else didn't you check? you might want to go over that bike with a fine tooth comb....
That's what I was thinking when I read the original post.

With that being said, I usually check tire pressures once a week.

Old 11-26-2010, 11:23 AM
Kumite
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by grf000
Need to keep a check. Check mine monthly. Since it cooled off around 45 degrees at night caught my front at 21 lb. (normally 30) Small Deuce front does not take much to be off 10lb. My back was about 31 (normally 36) Can not tell by looking or kicking
With those low pressure numbers I would suspect a tendency for abnormal wear and lower tread life.

For me I pump em up to max sidewall pressure and have as a result gotten better mileage and wear patterns. Make sure they are check before any big ride and at least weekly. Pressure is the most important aspect for tire safety so I am a little rigorous about it.

R. Todd

Old 11-26-2010, 11:30 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

I check mine 1X per week, early Sunday before the ride. Last check netted 42 front, 42 rear which is what I run in Metzelers. I have foudn with tubes in my wheels they stay much closer to the pressure I want. I avhe also ridden them with far too little air in them a few times. I check the pressure and ride 2 blocks to the gas station to fill them as opposed to dragging my compressor out to my carport from my apartment. I knwo the people at the gas station so well from adding air that they see me coming and just turn it on for me every time.

Drew

Drew

Quick Reply: Your RESULTS of tire pressure check