Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oregon Bed Rolls, Anyone bought one recently?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 09:37 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Watch Guy
I appreciate it. They just seem so damn expensive.
That's what I thought. I can get (actually, "I have") a military sleep system that packs smaller and includes 2 sleeping bags, a waterproox Gortex bag and a stuff sack for less.

I have this one, but you could easily get 4 or 5 of them on Ebay for the Cav Store's price:

Last edited by brenn; 11-27-2010 at 09:40 AM.
Old 11-27-2010, 12:09 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,240 Likes on 4,779 Posts

I think they are worth the money. Very well made and should last a lifetime. I used mine for several weeks on everything from picnic tables to sharp, jagged rocks and am using it now in my semi on a steel bunk.

I slept on it in the Alaska and the northwest territories in some pretty cold and wet weather with nothing but the clothes I had on and the rain fly and stayed warm and dry.

As far as being able to get others for less..............You can buy two Yamaguchi's for what a Harley cost's.

Just sayin!

Old 11-27-2010, 02:13 PM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by IronAss
As far as being able to get others for less..............You can buy two Yamaguchi's for what a Harley cost's.

Just sayin!
Yeah, but the lower cost one I mentioned is rated to -10 degrees, you can ditch a layer to make it even smaller in summer, and the goretex cover is wind and waterproof, so you can zip up in it in the rain. And you don't even have to bring your own blanket or sleeping bag to put inside it.

Cowboy stuff is cool, but the bed roll costs more than a sleep system (around $100 or less on Ebay) and does less. To me, it just looks like wasted space for guys who are camping.

Old 11-27-2010, 02:19 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by brenn
Yeah, but the lower cost one I mentioned is rated to -10 degrees, you can ditch a layer to make it even smaller in summer, and the goretex cover is wind and waterproof, so you can zip up in it in the rain. And you don't even have to bring your own blanket or sleeping bag to put inside it.

Cowboy stuff is cool, but the bed roll costs more than a sleep system (around $100 or less on Ebay) and does less. To me, it just looks like wasted space for guys who are camping.
Ok. Sounds like we are comparing apples and oranges here. If my memory serves me the bedroll is marketed to be a quick and easy way to throw down and get a comfortable rest without having all the other **** associated with camping. Kinda like what I used mine for. Pull over on the shoulder, find a bush to park behind and crash for a few hours, get up roll it up and go.

Old 11-27-2010, 02:28 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Actually I think we've knda hijacked this thread. The original question was about shipping time.

My apology to Watch Guy.

Old 11-27-2010, 04:08 PM
AThousandHurricanes
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Spend your money on real gear. Go to a backpacking store, get a thermarest pad and a good down sleeping bag. They will both take up less space that this, and keep you a lot warmer and more comfortable. My Marmot +15 degree bag packs down to about the size of two softballs side by side.

I pretty sure I can fit my thermarest pad, marmot bag and MSR 2 man tent in the space as the Oregon bedroll a about the sane weight. YMMV.

Old 11-27-2010, 04:26 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Hey IronAss, I became interested in the Oregon BedRoll reading your great account of the Hoka Hey. Which one do you have? Thanks.

After your response, we can get back to the original thread.

Old 11-28-2010, 03:47 AM
Watch Guy
Stellar HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Just curious Ironass

I think they are worth the money. Very well made and should last a lifetime. I used mine for several weeks on everything from picnic tables to sharp, jagged rocks and am using it now in my semi on a steel bunk.

I slept on it in the Alaska and the northwest territories in some pretty cold and wet weather with nothing but the clothes I had on and the rain fly and stayed warm and dry.

Just sayin!
Why do you have just a steel bunk in your sleeper and not a mattress?

Old 11-28-2010, 07:22 AM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Watch Guy
Why do you have just a steel bunk in your sleeper and not a mattress?
The matress was a POS and I threw it away!

Old 11-28-2010, 07:56 AM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

The matress was a POS and I threw it away!
As a side note.....I am probably not the norm. I have had 3 back surgery's and have degenerative disc disease. I have never been able to sleep well on any mattress in any truck I've been in.

I sleep better on my bedroll than I do on the mattress that we have on our bed at home.

I absolutely love the damn thing. That's not to say it's any better than what others are recommending (I've haven't tried any of them) just sayin it's the best rest I've had in a long, long, time.

Quick Reply: Oregon Bed Rolls, Anyone bought one recently?