General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rant-do they really expect us to believe that?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 11:14 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,374 Likes on 2,545 Posts
Default rant-do they really expect us to believe that?

gotta vent here. i was looking for some stuff on ebay, and like usual, did not find anything, and came away pissed off. you used to be able to find good stuff there, but now it seems everybody and their brother is trying to make it their primary source of income, instead of a way to clear out your old stuff.

example,

Just click and buy now above and you can take advantage of our everyday low prices! We’re an Authorized Harley-Davidson® dealership located in Battle Creek Michigan, so you can buy and bid with absolute confidence.
now don't get me wrong, i'm not singling out this particular dealer, many seem to do this. but really, 'our everyday low prices' means msrp. why would i buy from these guys at msrp, +shipping, when i can go to my 'local' dealer (60 miles away), save 10% just for being a vet, not pay shipping, and have it in hand right now (provided they have it in stock)? granted, i'll have to pay sales tax, but still comes out less than these ebay ripoffs.

i don't begrudge anyone the right to make a buck, but please, don't insult my intelligence by selling at msrp and calling that 'everyday low prices'.

okay, rant over, need to go take some meds, or at least drink a beer or three ......

Old 11-24-2010, 11:28 AM
SOLOLUCKY
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds typical...the longer I ride the less things I can find on Ebay that I "need" (or want)...lotsa the same crap over and over it seems like as well.

Old 11-24-2010, 11:31 AM
mi2az
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been watching a few items, The have their reserve set do high that it has been relisted several times.

Old 11-24-2010, 11:34 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

Dealers started infiltrating the classified ads around here years ago. Just another salesman's ploy to reach more potential customers and to keep/drive prices up. I agree, if I wanted to buy new from a dealer I'd go to a dealer and buy new.
What do you think they would do if you set up near their parking lot selling preowned parts?

Old 11-24-2010, 11:37 AM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

I have found a "few" good deals on ebay, but most of the time I wonder to my self, what are these people thinkin'? I can usually get better deals on new Harley-Davidson parts at any of the local dealers.

Old 11-24-2010, 11:40 AM
Ribaldmanikin
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can filter out a lot of the overpriced listings by filtering out buy-it-now. I wish I could filter out any listings with a reserve though... they're a waste of time.

Old 11-24-2010, 11:40 AM
cadman311
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had this bike for about 3 weeks now. I order things from my dealer still looking for them to come in. I ordered 15 things from E-Bay and those things are on my bike.

Old 11-24-2010, 11:41 AM
DEGRider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What these people think is a FOOL and his money or in our lazy world today. The old adage still applies buyer beware!! Gotta go my bid is winning on a 68 beetle volkswagon radiator....

Old 11-24-2010, 05:03 PM
Jack Straw
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Ebay is done for the causal seller. No more cleanin' out the garage for the normal guy. The "Power Sellers", basically anyone in retail, from the guy trying to make a living selling **** online, to the your huge retail stores.

No more regular guy selling stuff. Which means no more good deals. It's been that way for a while.

And, fair warning to any regular Joe trying to sell a few things now and then - Ebay is not your friend. It's now a huge pain in the ***, and you can get burned very quickly and easily the way it's set-up now. Buying stuff is fine, but selling stuff is a risky proposition because the big guys have ruined it by scamming buyers over the years. Now the table is turned on them, protection for the buyer, which is great.. However, it makes it 100x easier for someone to scam the regular Joe trying to sell something.

Last edited by Jack Straw; 11-24-2010 at 05:05 PM.
Old 11-24-2010, 05:42 PM
2002flstc
Road Warrior
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

There are still good buys on eBay, not as many as there once was but they are still there. As stated before, eliminate the Buy it Now ones...

Quick Reply: rant-do they really expect us to believe that?