General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rant-do they really expect us to believe that?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 06:02 AM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by scoteh
I bought a '99 Softail off eBay this year and scored a great deal. Then a set of risers and handlebars. Also great deals. There is a lot of crap to wade through to get to the good deals, though.
That pretty much says it for me..........there is a lot more fodder to wade through but there are some deals. Maybe not make a buck which I never tried to do anyway but I still sell my no longer used goodies and pick-up a few at good prices.

Old 11-25-2010, 06:20 AM
BuckeyeMan
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is where I sell all my gently used HD parts. In fact have three items up for sale now. Also, a great place to sell my shirts that my belly doesn't seem to squeeze into any longer.

Old 11-25-2010, 09:27 AM
Big_Al47
Ultimate HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 93 Likes on 40 Posts

Military discount at Harley dealers?? Is this for active military only or can vets get in on this??

Old 11-25-2010, 09:35 AM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Big_Al47
Military discount at Harley dealers?? Is this for active military only or can vets get in on this??
first I've ever heard of it myself

Old 11-25-2010, 10:04 AM
Dustball
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I still use Ebay a lot and agree that the deals of old are fewer and farther between; but they still exist for used or "scratch and dent" stuff. For new items, I can usually find better deals on HD stuff at Zanotti's or one of the other on-line discounters then I can find on Ebay.

-Dusty

Old 11-25-2010, 12:50 PM
arcticharleyman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch
gotta vent here. i was looking for some stuff on ebay, and like usual, did not find anything, and came away pissed off. you used to be able to find good stuff there, but now it seems everybody and their brother is trying to make it their primary source of income, instead of a way to clear out your old stuff.

example,

now don't get me wrong, i'm not singling out this particular dealer, many seem to do this. but really, 'our everyday low prices' means msrp. why would i buy from these guys at msrp, +shipping, when i can go to my 'local' dealer (60 miles away), save 10% just for being a vet, not pay shipping, and have it in hand right now (provided they have it in stock)? granted, i'll have to pay sales tax, but still comes out less than these ebay ripoffs.

i don't begrudge anyone the right to make a buck, but please, don't insult my intelligence by selling at msrp and calling that 'everyday low prices'.

okay, rant over, need to go take some meds, or at least drink a beer or three ......
Well...for one, they are their every day low prices.
In other words, their every day prices
And they consider them to be their low prices because they also have higher prices.
Hence..their every day low prices.
The never sell for less.
hahahaha

Old 11-25-2010, 01:25 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I prefer the buy it now priced items. Don't have time to play that bidding war crap where you end up losing to someone who is willing to pay retail just to beat you out. Makes me laugh sometimes.

Old 11-25-2010, 01:34 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,376 Likes on 2,547 Posts

Originally Posted by Big_Al47
my dealer gives it to retired, active, vfw, cvma, etc.....

Old 11-25-2010, 04:20 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 355 Posts

I have great luck both buying and selling on eBay. I disagree there are less deals than before. There's as many or more than ever. Just the volume of sellers has skyrocketed. Let me give you an example. 5 or 6 years ago you could simply type in the word "Shovelhead" and nothing else, and you would get 15 maybe 20 pages of related stuff. Mostly used stuff and the overpriced retard retailers were in the minority. Type in that same word today and you get over 100 pages, mostly vendors and "resellers" trying to make a buck on stuff they got from a lot sale or from China. But of those 120 pages of Shovelhead parts there's still that 15 or 20 pages worth of Shovel guys trying to unload there used stuff so they can buy more used stuff to change around or fix up their ride. Deals can still be had on eBay, you just have to be willing to sift.

Old 11-25-2010, 10:11 PM
justanotherjim
Road Master

Location: kingman AZ. We aren't in hell, but you can see it from here!!!
Received 62 Likes on 21 Posts

I agree with the majority in regards to buying on Ebay. I have had much success with buying parts for my home, car, bike, etc..