General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Las Vegas & Area Winter Bike Trip

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 10:00 AM
BlueNoser
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Las Vegas & Area Winter Bike Trip

Planning on doing a fly & ride to Vegas this winter. Looking at a seven day trip and renting a bike for 2 of them. Will rent for 3 days if wife is willing (she wants to gamble and see shows.)

Would like to hear from some locals, is two full riding days realistic to see area, ie Grand Canyon loop, I was thinking 1 full day out, motel somewhere, one full day back.

I know what the maps show, but I like to stop, see the sights, hit a few local watering holes etc. and maps don't show what the local riders know.

Thanks

Old 11-22-2010, 10:10 AM
Safe Sax
Cruiser

Im not local however I made the trip with a friend last year and rented bikes for 3 days.

Didn't do the Grand Canyon think bud did do Death Valley, Red Rock Canyon and Zion.

All day trips will leave the wife plenty of time to gamble.

Old 11-22-2010, 12:41 PM
fishcop
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Trip

You could do it but the Grand Canyon is close to 300 miles each way.Probably will not leave much time for sightseeing. Personally, I would do Death Valley, nice day trip. Do Red Rock, Valley of Fire and the Hoover dam in a another day trip. Zion is nice but watch the weather they get snow in that area, plus that is a complete day trip in itself. When do you plan to get here? I wouldn't mind maybe meeting you at the Harley Dealership and help you plan some trips. PM me if you want.

Old 11-22-2010, 12:57 PM
Jack Straw
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The weather can be shitty at the Grand Canyon as well - as in snow. I'd head south/southwest Death Valley area. Nice riding, open roads.

I know this is obvious, but it'll still be chilly no matter where you go, especially in the mornings.

What you could do, if the weather permits, is head out north of Las Vegas on Hwy 95, then hit Hwy 160 to Pahrump, then south/southwest into Death Valley. Stay down there somewhere, then head back to Vegas the next day - taking your time, of course.

I'm the type of person that doesn't like to rush rides. So, unless I'm going somewhere specific, I keep the miles per day low (compared to most maniacs), and stop to smell the flowers (or drink beer, smoke cigars and google the local talent). Speaking of which, if you go the route I suggested be sure to stop at two places - both very biker friendly.

First is the Short Branch Saloon in Crystal, NV. It's located between Parhump and the Hwy 160/95 turn off, just north of Parhump (you'll have to zoom in to see it if you're using Google Maps). It's a great little biker bar, out in the middle of freakin' nowhere. It's awesome. There's a couple of legal brothels down the street as well, if you're into such things. The girls will give you a tour without pressuring you to buy any action, but they expect a tip. I got a good pic of one of the girls posing with my bike last time I was there. But don't let that scare you, as the Short Branch is not a brothel, just a normal little bar a few blocks away.

Then, on the way back to Vegas on Hwy 160 be sure to stop at the Mountain Springs Saloon, as this is a biker bar, catering to bikers. Good food, usually a band, paved parking, etc. There's always a ton of bikes there on the weekends, as it's not too far from Vegas and makes for a nice little ride out of town for us locals. But be sure to check the weather, as Hwy 160 climbs about 5k ft there at Mt Springs...not much, but it can get a freak snowstorm in the winter. However, a good 90% of the time, it's fine. Leather required though, of course.

Have fun.

Oh, and if you're in town on the bike, stop at Mr. D's on the west side of town, perhaps on the way out or way back in, on Oakey and Rainbow. Biker bar, hot bartenders, decent food and bike parking out front.

Last edited by Jack Straw; 11-22-2010 at 01:01 PM.
Old 11-22-2010, 01:03 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I heard the HD Fly-n-Ride program is ending 12/31 this year. As far as rides, I rented in Vegas a year ago in April and rode to the Hoover Dam, Valley of Fire and Red Rock. Had a blast.

Old 11-22-2010, 06:48 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Good info from fleabite. Don't know when in winter you plan on going but a loop around Grand Canyon would be very iffy on both sides. I had trouble doing the north rim in a Jeep one winter.

Old 11-22-2010, 06:55 PM
bamarider
Tourer

Oatman, Arizona!!

Old 11-22-2010, 07:09 PM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

South! Head over the Hoover Dam bridge (can visit but not ride over the dam now), swing by and visit us in Kingman on your way to Oatman, AZ. Death Valley would be great as mentioned. Grand Canyon and Flagstaff have already seen snow......lows in the teens so a bit chilly that direction.

If you come this way there is a 50's diner named Mr. D's or hope the road up the Haulapai mountain is clear and have lunch at the Lodge. Getting up to Oatman via old Rt 66 is great twisties with little to no rails and drop down into Topock, AZ and Needles, CA. Back up through Laughlin (more gambling) and on up 95 back to Vegas. This could be a day trip (400 - 450 miles?) or take a night and take in Rednecks BBQ or upscale dinner at Mattina's here in Kingman.

Lot's of old mines and one active on the way to Oatman. Many old stretches of Rt 66, abandoned structures cool to see and even a couple of good museums. What are the activities you guys like? Party hardy, history or something in between?

Old 11-22-2010, 08:21 PM
BlueNoser
Tourer

Thanks everyone and thanks fishcop, I will contact you when plans are more cemented.

It's funny but I was expecting "hope you can handle the heat" remarks. The snow and cold remarks surprised me. I guess I have to brush up on some geography.

Hope everyone is enjoying their fall riding. It dipped below freezing here today,snowed, and the DOT salted all the roads. That will be the end for most of the riders.

Old 11-22-2010, 08:38 PM
TheJimer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueNoser
Planning on doing a fly & ride to Vegas this winter. Looking at a seven day trip and renting a bike for 2 of them. Will rent for 3 days if wife is willing (she wants to gamble and see shows.)

Would like to hear from some locals, is two full riding days realistic to see area, ie Grand Canyon loop, I was thinking 1 full day out, motel somewhere, one full day back.

I know what the maps show, but I like to stop, see the sights, hit a few local watering holes etc. and maps don't show what the local riders know.

Thanks
Three days to the Grand Canyon would be a comfortable ride giving you time for sight seeing. A cool up there this time of the year!

Jim

Quick Reply: Las Vegas & Area Winter Bike Trip