General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wisconsin Helmet Law

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 08:03 PM
Tactical111
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Look closely at your insurance policy. Most of them have the "medical" topping out at $50k to $100k if that much. That's about a month on life support. After that the taxpayers ARE paying for the care. Here in Michigan there is a surcharge on every policy for "catastrophic care" so yes we all are paying for it.

Are helmets a good idea? Hey! Let's ask Indian Larry. Oh yeah....forgot about that one.

Old 11-22-2010, 08:10 PM
TheJimer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why would you have to put a helmet on a Cheese Head?

Jim

Old 11-22-2010, 08:15 PM
Tactical111
Road Master

I'm thinking cheese is better than air.

Old 11-22-2010, 08:18 PM
Ratster
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wideglidebob
stupid people need laws to pertect them from making stupid decisins like not wearing seatbelts, i mean we will end up paying for these stupid people all there lives after they are brain dead
Bullshit. Stupid people let the government run their lives.

Old 11-22-2010, 09:27 PM
charle
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dan conner
if you are willing to carry $1 million worth of hospitalization and long term care insurance...then you should have the right to ride without a helmet. take responsibility for your actions. do not expect the rest of the taxpayers to cover your medical expenses because you choose to act stupid.

Well the shouldnt that apply to riding a motorcycle period. It is much more dangerous than driving a cage. So let just outlaw bikes and stop all the BS. So if your riding down the rode and someone cuts you off and makes you a quadriplegic. I dont want to have to pay for your azz for the rest of you life. Because you decided to ride your bike and not your cage.

Old 11-22-2010, 10:04 PM
Tactical111
Road Master

A million $$ ain't sh*t when it comes to intensive care. A helmet is a reasonable and cheap and common sense way to protect your brain during an admittedly dangerous activity. To argue otherwise is well, as Spock would say, " That's not logical, Captain."

As far as making it a law? I'd say some of the posters on here prove why a law is required.

Old 11-22-2010, 10:30 PM
danmo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hmm didn't mean to start a helmet wearing flame fest.
Just heard that a helmet law got sneaked through. Couldn't find any info so I was curious if anyone else had heard the rumor.

Old 11-23-2010, 01:06 AM
GameShark
Intermediate
Location: Southern Ca, 5 miles north of the Santa Monica Mtns
Default GameShark

Originally Posted by charle
Well the shouldnt that apply to riding a motorcycle period. It is much more dangerous than driving a cage. So let just outlaw bikes and stop all the BS. So if your riding down the rode and someone cuts you off and makes you a quadriplegic. I dont want to have to pay for your azz for the rest of you life. Because you decided to ride your bike and not your cage.
well said !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I rode for years in California before there was a helmet law. And I almost gave up riding when it came in, but I got used to it. It still sucks though. So many sunshine patriots go around saying freedom isn't free, so isn't us paying for someone's injury (when they can't pay themselves) part of that payment for our freedom? What's next? No mountain climbing, no BASE jumping, wearing a life preserver when we surf? Do you really want to live in that kind of world? If so we might as well put the whole friggin country on lockdown and get it over with. And I bet then all you namby pambys would finally become true freedom fighters . . .

Well said !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"I'm not going to pay for your risk taking" What's that? We're paying all the time for people that don't pay the bill. Wake up.

Old 11-23-2010, 06:07 AM
brgtr3
Outstanding HDF Member

So since we're not going to ban cell phone use in cars, why not require $1 million coverage for ALL vehicles to cover the 99% of cagers who drive and yack and try to kill the bikers who don't have helmets?

Old 11-23-2010, 06:46 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by wideglidebob
stupid people need laws to pertect them from making stupid decisins like not wearing seatbelts, i mean we will end up paying for these stupid people all there lives after they are brain dead
So the pro-freedom answer is "don't pay for them." The anti=freedom answer is "we pay for your healthcare even if you don't want us to, and that gives us the right to tell you how to live your life." I work to pay for my healthcare and I don't need some POS nannies telling me what I can do.

Originally Posted by GameShark
So many sunshine patriots go around saying freedom isn't free, so isn't us paying for someone's injury (when they can't pay themselves) part of that payment for our freedom?
No, actually it is part of all of us losing some of our freedom. America was never intended to stand for "we take care of everybody, because it's nice" - the original point (of coming here, exploring forntiers and founding the country) was being individually as free as possible and freedom is dangerous and inconvenient.

So, paying for healthcare for everybody is NOT^ the price of freedom, it is the cost of losing freedom - the fact that people now want to use that exact cost to support paternalistic laws to protect you from yourself makes it clear to anybody.

Unfortunately, from before the revolution until now, most Americans have never wanted freedom and it's a constant struggle for about 20% to try and save it from the other 80%.

Last edited by brenn; 11-23-2010 at 06:53 AM.

Quick Reply: Wisconsin Helmet Law