General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wisconsin Helmet Law

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 03:39 PM
frenchman
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dan conner
if you are willing to carry $1 million worth of hospitalization and long term care insurance...then you should have the right to ride without a helmet. take responsibility for your actions. do not expect the rest of the taxpayers to cover your medical expenses because you choose to act stupid.
So, means that if you go down and break your leg/ankle/whatever, and would lose a foot/hand/whatever, taxpayers shouldn't care for you because you didn't wear protective racing gear? If you go skiing and break your spine, taxpayer shouldn't pay for your expenses?
Freedom of choice. Wear your helmet all you want, but don't **** on those who chose not to.

Old 11-22-2010, 04:38 PM
jthom33
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry, gotta go with Dan on this one. If you want to play, dont expect me to pay your insurance bill. Cover it yourself. Before some jackwagon jumps on and starts listing everything that can go wrong with someone, not interested in hearing it. I am getting dam tired of paying for others because I am fortunate enough to have a job.

Last edited by jthom33; 11-22-2010 at 04:41 PM.
Old 11-22-2010, 05:22 PM
Flatlander
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I gotta job also. Two of them as a matter of fact. I also have insurance (the law). If you wanna get pissed off about your earnings going to people who don't deserve it. Look at the pathetic state of welfare in this country. Me not wearing my helmet is not your choice it is mine, Deal with it. Riding motorcycles is inherently dangerous, deal with it. And don't forget to enjoy the ride!

Old 11-22-2010, 05:42 PM
jthom33
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're making my point. It is a choice to ride w/o a helmet, dont EXPECT me to pay for your medical costs if you have no insurance. I dont really care for helmets myself, but I have insurance to cover my CHOICE. There are few people who make the CHOICE to become unemployed, some do, but thats another article.

Old 11-22-2010, 06:13 PM
MATUCHI
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

California has had a mandatory helmet law for eighteen years and a lot of the riders in this state have never ridden when we didn't have to wear one and feel anybody that even thinks about not wearing one is stupid. Very few feel it's a freedom that was taking away. But now there is a lane splitting law that might be passed and you should hear all the riders gripping about how our freedom is being taken away.

Since I rode the first thirty years without a helmet and my whole life lane splitting, I find it ironic that people here in California feel lane splitting is so much more safer than riding without a helmet. They both have their ups and downs - but splitting through traffic at speed is pretty dicey, even with a full face helmet on.

Old 11-22-2010, 07:27 PM
Nubz
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

making laws saying I have to wear a helmet and have to wear a seat belt is not freedom

things like this should be our choice not forced on us

Old 11-22-2010, 07:41 PM
farmerstu
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my $.02 riding without a helmet feels good. just like a lot of fun stuff it might be more dangerous. so lets all stay home, nobody work the oilfields or farms . and we will save society.. beyond that I firmly believe that if i go down i'm better off with a helmet. I also firmly believe that I am more likely to go down if I'm wearing a helmet.

Old 11-22-2010, 07:42 PM
NickD
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

>>and a lot of the riders in this state have never ridden when we didn't have to wear one<<

I rode for years in California before there was a helmet law. And I almost gave up riding when it came in, but I got used to it. It still sucks though. So many sunshine patriots go around saying freedom isn't free, so isn't us paying for someone's injury (when they can't pay themselves) part of that payment for our freedom? What's next? No mountain climbing, no BASE jumping, wearing a life preserver when we surf? Do you really want to live in that kind of world? If so we might as well put the whole friggin country on lockdown and get it over with. And I bet then all you namby pambys would finally become true freedom fighters . . .

Old 11-22-2010, 07:44 PM
Tactical111
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

" Stupid is as stupid does." Forrest Guuuummp

I rode in the 60's in San Diego without a helmet. Had two serious incidents; one landing on my head literally and split my face open. I was lucky enough to survive them. I really don't get anyone now adays supporting riding a MC without a helmet; unless he is 19 yrs. old and still immortal like I was.

Old 11-22-2010, 07:56 PM
zukeeper
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jthom33
Sorry, gotta go with Dan on this one. If you want to play, dont expect me to pay your insurance bill. Cover it yourself. Before some jackwagon jumps on and starts listing everything that can go wrong with someone, not interested in hearing it. I am getting dam tired of paying for others because I am fortunate enough to have a job.
your not paying my insurance , hate to tell you but a lot of people have jobs WITH insurance , its our right to decide , so we don't need your permission to play

Quick Reply: Wisconsin Helmet Law