General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MMI Job Placement

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 01:18 PM
badwhine
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SpaceCoast Harley
15 months ago when my class started at MMI we were told that MMI had a 94 percent rate. My class graduated this past Friday with no one getting jobs thru MMI. Looks like false advertising to me.
Welcome to the real world, where experienced techs are being laid off and new grad's are not in demand.

Old 11-25-2010, 02:23 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,254 Likes on 4,783 Posts

Sad to hear that. I went there in the late 80's and had several job offers before I even finished the school. Times have changed.

You might have to relocate but I'd get ahold of a copy of that travel book/road atlas that HOG puts out with all the dealerships listed in it and just start dialing the phone. Check with indy's as well. I'm sure you will find something.

If you are considering starting your own shop I would suggest getting someone to work for you or go into business with you that has some experience in both the business end and the wrenching end as you will find out..........They only taught you the basics and you will need someone with real world experience to mentor you the first several months you are out there.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 11-25-2010, 02:36 PM
DinoVelvet
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dawg
open your own shop
this is what I'd like to do

Old 11-25-2010, 03:27 PM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ever go to the HD dealers or Indy shops and look at the Thunder Press magazine they got out.

Check it out online man. They got job offers

http://www.thunderpress.net/Director...ssifieds.shtml

Old 11-25-2010, 03:55 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

How many dealers have closed their doors in the past three years and dumped their mechanics into the mix?

I think the fast food industry has made us impatient. I'd like to order a hamburger and fries, where are they?

I'd like a job, where is it?

Old 11-25-2010, 04:35 PM
rixida
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool keep your head up

Everywhere does that . I went to a computer school that boasted a good placement and I bombed out also. They just want your money. They dont really care what happens too you once you leave. But keep trying. What else can you do in life.

Old 11-25-2010, 06:52 PM
1skrewsloose
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I didn't go to MMI, but a tech school that boasted high employment rates also. Went online and did a ton of searches and resumes', did get a job after a month and did have to relocate from Dallas to Hartford. Really hated leaving the warm weather. The bottom line is it's a numbers game, put yourself out there to as many companies that you can, helps if you're willing to relocate. my .02. Good luck!

Old 11-25-2010, 07:12 PM
Wide_Open
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 149 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by rixida
Everywhere does that . I went to a computer school that boasted a good placement and I bombed out also. They just want your money. They dont really care what happens too you once you leave. But keep trying. What else can you do in life.
Yes. Any for profit school is going to make whatever claims they have to in order to keep students enrolling so the profits keep coming.

Old 11-25-2010, 10:42 PM
95th 1200
Road Master
Received 102 Likes on 70 Posts

Tech school for wrenching doesn't help at all. I went to UTI for auto, diesel and industrial. 3 ASEs, graduated Alpha Beta Kappa, 3.89 GPA, 7 Student of The Course certs and 6 Directors Honors List. Where do I work? Midas making 9.50 an hour. Shops don't care what titles or certs you have, they want to hire someone to change oil and do basic work for cheap. Did I mention they want to hire you for peanuts? Classroom training vs real world wrenching are two different things - to what level of half-***-ing you'll stoop to is up to you. The shop has to make a profit at the expense of the customer, with you being the collector. Good luck!

Old 11-26-2010, 12:40 AM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member
Received 223 Likes on 158 Posts

What the trade schools give you is called "Entry Level Skills".
That 94% number will include you if you take any job even remotely related to the mobile vehicle industry. BTW driving a truck counts!
There are a lot of good and experienced technicians looking for work these days.
I started working for minimum wage and now work as the National Training Manager for an international company.
Find a job, any job, at any pay, work hard, have patience . . . everyone has opportunities, but the folks who get to take advantage of them are those who are already prepared to take advantage of them when they come up . . . not those who wait for them and then try and prepare . . .

Quick Reply: MMI Job Placement