General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GPS system & mount questions from those that have tried a few...

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 08:50 AM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 473 Likes on 277 Posts

You don't have a fairing on your fatboy, so you'll be mounting on the handlebars...I've tried both the Ram and the Tech Mount and prefer the Tech Mount with my Zumo450 on my FXDXT handlebars...the Ram put the Zumo out too far and I didn't need all the articulation. Didn't get the bluetooth version either; wouldn't hear it on my bike...

Attached Thumbnails GPS system & mount questions from those that have tried a few...-cabot-trail.jpg  
Old 11-21-2010, 09:28 AM
Classic Eagle
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tom Tom One 125 with a Ram Mount. No problems with it.

Old 11-21-2010, 12:55 PM
SportsterPapa
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pictures?

Old 11-21-2010, 12:56 PM
SportsterPapa
Cruiser

For sure I won't hear anything on my ride

Old 11-21-2010, 12:59 PM
SportsterPapa
Cruiser

Originally Posted by avetter11
I have the garmin 765t and I just use the suction supplied w/the unit and attach it to the speedo on my flstc. The unit tells you your speed, so covering the speedo is fine. easy to read, and access as well as being easy to pop off and take w/you when you leave the bike.
Doesn't hurt the Speedo?
The "Hold" is solid?
If yes and yes, then I'm done; cause I'd rather not leave any sign of the unit on the bike when I'm off it...

Old 11-21-2010, 01:03 PM
SportsterPapa
Cruiser

Maybe that's where I will mount when Santa gives me the Ultra Classic Electra Glide

Old 11-21-2010, 03:11 PM
Foodog
Elite HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts

Garmin Nuvi 1350 for the GPS. Ram for the mount. gpsgeek.com for the power cord. A 4 pin Deutsch plug connects to the accessory plug under the seat of my 09 Low Rider so the GPS turns off and on with the ignition switch.

Old 11-21-2010, 03:22 PM
Motorbones
Road Master

First off, I started off with a Burgman 650 (or a Burger). Don't sweat the twisties stuff and I can asssure you, you probably have a better ride. Maintenance on them can be a pain and/or expensive... more so than a Fatboy.

There's a variety of ez-on-ez-off mounts on eBay that are worth checking into. I use one. I'm awaiting deliver of a hardwire power cord that I'll tap inro my acc. switch with and just stash when not using the GPS. Ram mounts will probably hold it best, but are more or less a permanent fixture on your bars. You might consider teathering the device somehow so that if it pops off, it won't end up as electronic road kill. I'm using a Garmin Nuvi 755T, but there are a mulitude of GPSs that'll work. Just be careful that if you get one that isn't waterproof, you keep it out of the rain and bike wash.

Old 11-21-2010, 03:57 PM
zukeeper
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SportsterPapa
Doesn't hurt the Speedo?
The "Hold" is solid?
If yes and yes, then I'm done; cause I'd rather not leave any sign of the unit on the bike when I'm off it...
it doesn't hurt the speedo , its just a suction cup ( a very good one ). the ones that come with garmin ( and I would assume tom tom ) are rock solid , you have to flip a lever then pull on the tabbed part of the cup to get them to release. quick and easy , and the speed display is more accurate then my stock lol ( 1998 wide glide)

Old 11-21-2010, 04:06 PM
macgrg
Advanced

I've had a Nuvi 1459 suction cup mounted to my RK windshield for over 2000 miles. It shakes a little at idle, but under speed it's fine. I mounted a flip top cigarette receptacle under my left side cover and ran the cable under the tank. I carry some baggies in my windshield pouch for the rain. I really like the speedometer on th GPS, don't have to take my eyes off the road. I am able to access all the features with my gloves on. $179.00 at Best Buy.

Quick Reply: GPS system & mount questions from those that have tried a few...