General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'07 Owners - Will You Change Pipes for Sound Only?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2006, 12:19 AM
TN Fly NN
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '07 Owners - Will You Change Pipes for Sound Only?

I'm about to buy an '07 Road Glide. I've heard some stock '07's and thought they sounded pretty good. Certainly better to my ear than previous year stock pipes.

Question is: Will you change pipes just for sound? Thinking that if the pipes sound good enough that will save some $$ for now. Then make changes later for performance (or not).

Thanks

PS: Keep in mind that I'm a Tennessee redneck, so motorcycles are supposed to be loud (but not necessarily loud enough to make your ears bleed)

Old 09-23-2006, 12:25 AM
BOARGAURD
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default RE: '07 Owners - Will You Change Pipes for Sound Only?

I tried the VH turndown slip ons on my 07 EG Standard and it was way too loud for me. Kinda felt weird since I just came from a WG with 1 3/4 drag pipes. I put on the new SE II slipons yesterday and it has a low tone, better than stock and it is not annoying. It could be a tad louder but I am happy with my decsion.

Old 09-23-2006, 12:31 AM
OzarkHarleyguy
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

At this time I'm not going to change the pipes; maybe later but not now.

Old 09-23-2006, 12:33 AM
KeithB
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am happy with the stock pipes, they deffintely have the Harley sound and turn heads

Old 09-23-2006, 12:35 AM
E DOGG
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not a "Nu B" (NEWBIE) for nothing!!! I got some slip-ons that sounded louder than stock. The Dealership told me it was okay just to change the pipes. I read in hear that someone had glowing exhaust pipes.(Meaning the bike is running too lean) I rode at night and mines was glowing. I took them off and put back the Stock.

I only wanted the loudness , due to people changing into my lane . Because they can't see or hear me.

When I do change my pipes, I'll do the bigger intake and SE tuner "Procedure" as well.

Hope that helps.[]

Old 09-23-2006, 12:48 AM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

On my '07 Heritage, I first installed the SE slip-ons, SE A/C, and SERT. Yesterday, I installed Rush slip-ons with the 1.75" baffles and am happy with the sound. They are loud, but not too loud (I personally wouldn't them louder).

Jim

Old 09-23-2006, 09:46 AM
Heritage07
Road Warrior
Received 88 Likes on 71 Posts

ORIGINAL: j2dawson

On my '07 Heritage, I first installed the SE slip-ons, SE A/C, and SERT. Yesterday, I installed Rush slip-ons with the 1.75" baffles and am happy with the sound. They are loud, but not too loud (I personally wouldn't them louder).

Jim
Have the SE slip ons on my 07. Louder then stock but could be just a tad more. How does your Rush slip pns compare to V&H staggard big shots? I rode a buddies 05 with V&H's on them and thought they were a bit too loud(could hear myself think!) and I have not heard them with the quiet baffles that they offer.

Old 09-23-2006, 10:05 AM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

ORIGINAL: Heritage07

ORIGINAL: j2dawson

Jim
Have the SE slip ons on my 07. Louder then stock but could be just a tad more. How does your Rush slip pns compare to V&H staggard big shots? I rode a buddies 05 with V&H's on them and thought they were a bit too loud(could hear myself think!) and I have not heard them with the quiet baffles that they offer.
They're considerably quieter than the V&H I've heard. I got the tighest baffles so they wouldn't be too loud. I just wanted them louder than the SEs. I think they are not only louder, but sound better as well.

Now I gotta sell these $300 SE slip-ons!

Jim

Old 09-23-2006, 11:13 AM
bay13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only reason I put my slip-ons, on, was for sound. So to answer the thread question YES I would. I wanted the sound, if the inforcement of the law wouldn't allow my pipes/slip-ons, I would have left it stock and had a dyno tune done on the bike to get rid of the lean condition my bike had.

Old 09-23-2006, 11:21 AM
mikec
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I put slip ons for the sound too. I agree about the lean condition.
Waiting to put the A.N. A/C on. Sert and Dyno time just to much
right now.

Quick Reply: '07 Owners - Will You Change Pipes for Sound Only?