General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sunglases: Polarized???

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 05:52 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Unless glasses are real poor quality it's hard to believe.My PhotoGrey's have worked flawlessly for 15 yrs or as long as I can remember.Have to add mine are prescription maybe a different finish.

Old 11-21-2010, 07:42 AM
roadking2000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 128 Likes on 101 Posts

I've gone both ways and it's hard for me to believe anyone that has tried them would want to wear anything but polarized glasses. I see water, oil, or whatever, just fine with my shades on and I've never had a problem seeing anything on the road. If someone is having a problem seeing some road surface contaminant of some sort with polarized glasses, is the trade off of having perpetual reduced glare and the ability to generally see better not worth the trade off? It sure would be for me, but then again I can't recall anything on the road that I couldn't or didn't see because of polarized lenses. The absolute only time they have caused a problem is when I'm sitting at the pump filling up. It's difficult to see the $$$ rolling up. I have no gps, laptop, or anything else with a screen to deal with when I'm riding, so polarized is the only way to go for me.

Last edited by roadking2000; 11-21-2010 at 11:41 AM.
Old 11-21-2010, 10:16 AM
Matt990724
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by roadking2000
I've gone both ways and I it's hard for me to believe anyone that has tried them would want to wear anything but polarized glasses. I see water, oil, or whatever, just fine with my shades on and I've never had a problem seeing anything on the road. If someone is having a problem seeing some road surface contaminant of some sort with polarized glasses, is the trade off of having perpetual reduced glare and the ability to generally see better not worth the trade off? It sure would be for me, but then again I can't recall anything on the road that I couldn't or didn't see because of polarized lenses. The absolute only time they have caused a problem is when I'm sitting at the pump filling up. It's difficult to see the $$$ rolling up. I have no gps, laptop, or anything else with a screen to deal with when I'm riding, so polarized is the only way to go for me.
+1 on the pump... I can see the $$$ but I can never read the damn screen telling me to "enter zipcode" or "do you want a wash?"... lol

Old 11-21-2010, 11:58 AM
Harley Joe
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Polarized are also good for night driving as well (in a cage). A lighter tint cuts out all the glare from oncoming headlights and keeps your eyes from tiring so quickly.

It would be tricky to use a polarized helmet face shield along with polarized glasses...other than that, they're good for all occasions.

Old 11-21-2010, 01:08 PM
MCHOGG
Road Captain
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

I picked up a pair of prescription Wiley X last thursday, wore them this weeked they are very great, no wind behid the lens. Snug fit without the inserts.
I have always had polarized lenes and accept that you have to take them off at gas pumps and ATMs because of the LCD screens.

Old 11-22-2010, 12:55 AM
tstucky
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's only cause they want to sell you the $100 riding glasses they have on the shelf.. Everything else is 'unsafe'!!

Old 11-22-2010, 10:23 AM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rhirsch1
The only problem I have with my polarized lenses is reading LCD screens. It might be due to the backlight but I can see potholes and road irregularities OK.
+1. I use to ride with the,, but stopped when I got my new HD glasses. At first they almost make you feel drunk till you get use to them, but all the clouds are super crisp and you do see detail better.

Old 11-22-2010, 09:12 PM
beammeup
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

"I hears some people at the dealership" should have tipped you off to do the oposite.

Old 11-22-2010, 10:08 PM
vaham
Road Master
Received 63 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Polarized for me !

After over 30 years of riding, I couldn't imagine anything other than polarized lenses in my Rx sunglasses. I was hooked from the first time I used them- so much less eye strain and irritation at the end of a long day. Just recently bought a pair of liquid polars... very comfortable !

Old 11-22-2010, 10:15 PM
j1mmy
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

i wear polerized sunglasses, i do get a weird rainbow efect thru my windsheild..but so what.. a rainbow colored pot hole has the same effect as a black pothole..you avoid both of them..

Quick Reply: Sunglases: Polarized???