General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trends that have come and gone.

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 09:42 PM
Harleybass
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by brgtr3
Harleybass, that is a very cool looking chopper! Always loved the old british iron (but I grew up with the Triumph cars: TR4A, GT6, and then a TR3A).

Ride safe!
Yeah, I was into the Brit cars too. I had a 61 TR3A, wish like Hell I still had it. But, all of a sudden Kids started showin up, and the back seat is not too passenger friendly. I got one of the old Austin Mini Coopers, and that had enough room for a friggin playpen in the back and was still fun to drive.

Old 11-20-2010, 09:46 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

I remember a lot more of them that were in the late 60's and 70's..

They just built good riding bike and not the $70k like the one today.....

One that actually most all could afford and buy...

Old 11-20-2010, 09:59 PM
Rockyriver
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Stretched gas tanks came in style in the late 90's went out of style and are now back in style. Billet aluminum was the craze of the mid 90's and now I see it but not as much.

Old 11-20-2010, 10:00 PM
Harleybass
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Oh hell ya !! that made for a serious trip in the way back machine ! Had several BSA's over the years , one of them looked more than a little like that 53 of yours LOL , did I see an old Hurst-Airheart brake setup on the back ?

The wildest I ever got was ragged 59 pan motor in one of those weird long *** Sante softride frames with that long goose neck out front that stuck out 10" and the little springs on the rear like the old Bemmer Earls frame's , remember those ? Bike was 9' 8" long wheel tip to wheel tip , cool as it got till you had to turn it . After the second 21" over springer I buckled went tubes and got a disk brake for the front . Solved the turning problem , I'd lock the brake turn it and lean a bit and nail it . 95% of the time did a nice tight 180 dognut , the other 5% made for good red face stories for my buddies .

Damn I miss those days , the bikes where as colorful as the owners every body was real and biker chicks didn't look like my grandmother ..........

Late 70's and early 80's my ex & I were in several issues and few of the " In the Wind " rags , small woman with a huge rack the camera really liker her .
Ya like my old Trumpet, I used to ride that down to Overton Square in Memphis, thats where all the Hippies hung out, you could drink 25 cent draw beer, of course where the Hippies were, is where the smoke was, score a dime bag, pick up one of the Student Nurses from UT Medical, when they got off shift, and end up Drunk, Stoned, Well Screwed and Howlin at the Moon!

It was nothing for Overton Square to have 30 or 40 Choppers lined up along the curb! My friend, those were the "Good Ol Days". Of course we only drank the finest wines, Strawberry Hill and Annie Green Springs, I think they were about 49 cents a fifth.

Old 11-20-2010, 10:01 PM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Rear tires over 200 wide.....I hope they are all gone soon.

"billet barges"

"factory choppers".....i.e. 30,000 +++ priced bikes.

If you want a real bike you can be proud of, and will be quality, start with a Harley-Davidson, and modify it to fit you PERSONALLY.

Those that have been around and know the game will see it for what it is, and will appreciate it.

IMHO, REAL choppers have a 130 back tire.

~Joe

Last edited by traveler; 11-20-2010 at 10:19 PM.
Old 11-20-2010, 10:27 PM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Harleybass
Ya like my old Trumpet, I used to ride that down to Overton Square in Memphis, thats where all the Hippies hung out, you could drink 25 cent draw beer, of course where the Hippies were, is where the smoke was, score a dime bag, pick up one of the Student Nurses from UT Medical, when they got off shift, and end up Drunk, Stoned, Well Screwed and Howlin at the Moon!

It was nothing for Overton Square to have 30 or 40 Choppers lined up along the curb! My friend, those were the "Good Ol Days". Of course we only drank the finest wines, Strawberry Hill and Annie Green Springs, I think they were about 49 cents a fifth.
Damn....that sounds great! Make the girl a thin brunette, and I'm THERE!

~Joe

Old 11-20-2010, 10:29 PM
Tech23
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree the hot rod bagger is the latest craze. I never understood why one would spend 25K and up for a rigid chopper...not real functional, practical, or comfortable. Lots of great deals to be had on low mileage bar hoppers on craigslist. Some sellers have not come to realize they are going to take a hit if they want to sell. Some are slamming their baggers so low they are removing the comfort factor. As it is the stock Street Glide looses the magazine shoot outs because of its factory one inch lowered rear suspension. I think the custom builders need to realize long bikes are out and custom bikes with bags are in. Comfort and handling matter when these days most can only afford one bike.

Tech23

Last edited by Tech23; 11-20-2010 at 10:33 PM.
Old 11-20-2010, 10:32 PM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member

I kinda came to that conclusion, and thus my Superglide reflects that...little by little.

Sure is nice having room to carry stuff for once.

~Joe

Old 11-20-2010, 10:37 PM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by 999 Customs
Hate em or not, at the most you can pull $9,000 for the GSXR, I sold the chopper for $17,500 in 2 days..
Well...you done good with the evo bagger you built.

~Joe

Old 11-20-2010, 10:59 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 49,016 Likes on 17,913 Posts

Originally Posted by traveler
Damn....that sounds great! Make the girl a thin brunette, and I'm THERE!

~Joe

3 bottles of that nasty Boones Farm wine and she will as thin as you want ..

Quick Reply: Trends that have come and gone.