General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trends that have come and gone.

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 03:30 PM
4 inch pistons
Road Master
Received 142 Likes on 82 Posts

A agree that the two wheel boats are the thing right now (see sig pic). I do think there is a niche growing for the Sucker Punch Sally group (I could ride one of them). I also think the MoCo is correct in expanding the Sportster line. My 05 883 was nothing like what they have coming out now with the Iron and Nightster. Bobers are the "personality bikes" today.

Old 11-20-2010, 03:35 PM
rmatt34
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
They give me way too much to work with , it's too easy .

It's kinda like who is a biker or what is one kinda thing all over again . 20 - 30 yr ago if you wanted a chopper you either got started on the project yourself with some buddies or you went to local custom shop and worked with those guys to shape the bike the way you wanted it . You buy stacks of chopper mag's , haunt the swap meets , pour over parts catalogs the few we had then you got the hacksaw and the welder out .

Now it's all about throwing down the Master Card , I want that one do you have it in blue ? Everybody is all about instant gratification today gotta have it now . You put nothing into something and you'll never get anything back , kinda shallow isn't it ? Ok that was cool for while , now what do I do ? Oh I need a new toy , what about .......... .

Sounds adult ADHD to me .

and everyone is getting so damn spoiled by their cages and they gotta have all that crap on their fancy bikes too !!!

It's pretty sad how soft the Motorcycling community has become as a whole...

In my totally unprofessional opinion ...

Old 11-20-2010, 03:57 PM
AThousandHurricanes
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I win the lottery tonight, Indian Larry's shop starts work on my new bike tomorrow. I'll take a rigid pan/shiovel with a springer, scalloped tank, baker kicker, twisted downtube, apes with none of those messy controls/levers, typical Larry velocity stacks, jockey shift, rootbeer metalflake.

Something like this with maybe a little less chrome and rake:

Old 11-20-2010, 05:24 PM
999 Customs
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know all about the floor falling out of the chopper market. I traded my 06' GSXR 1000

for an 09' Big Bear Venom Chopper

The PO handed me a clean pink and receipts for $40K from the the build. 117" S&S, Shorty carb, TONS of WCC parts, it was nice, but I'll take my Bagger over it any day.

Old 11-20-2010, 05:48 PM
999 Customs
Cruiser

I agree, that's why I prefer pro streets.. But at 6'3" you can see over the tank just fine..

Old 11-20-2010, 05:48 PM
TORQUEY
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts

I think choppers are cool. However, who needs a 9 to 11 foot long bike? I could see a few inches more wheelbase to my FatBoy but that's about it. I also like HORIZONTAL, not almost VERTICAL gas tanks that you can hardly see over. What's with that?

Old 11-20-2010, 07:30 PM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 999 Customs
I know all about the floor falling out of the chopper market. I traded my 06' GSXR 1000

for an 09' Big Bear Venom Chopper

The PO handed me a clean pink and receipts for $40K from the the build. 117" S&S, Shorty carb, TONS of WCC parts, it was nice, but I'll take my Bagger over it any day.

That's a heck of a trade. Maybe it seems better to me because I hate sport bikes so much, but still...

I saw a guy complete the entire MSF Experienced Rider Course riding a chopper just that size.

Old 11-20-2010, 07:38 PM
999 Customs
Cruiser

Hate em or not, at the most you can pull $9,000 for the GSXR, I sold the chopper for $17,500 in 2 days..

Old 11-20-2010, 08:05 PM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 473 Likes on 277 Posts

The recent chopper "craze" can best be described as ostentatious; especially if you were around in the "real" days.....

Old 11-20-2010, 08:18 PM
warrconn
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

With choppers it's always cyclical, it seems. They come and go. They come back, and then when they start getting a little too ridiculous, they go. I loved 'em in the '60s, then they got goofy with 40"over front ends, teeny little front wheels, humped back K&Q seats with backrests 6 feet high, etc. In the 90s, they started out as clean, stripped machines with hot-rodded mills...so far so good. Then 300 rear tires, those stupid Headwinds headlights, splashy paint jobs and more crap being bolted on.

It seems like choppers kind of fade when they get too excessive...the very thing a chopper is NOT supposed to be. Some of those wide-tired monstrosities look like they don't even need a kick stand. Choppers will come back in a big way again and then over-indulgence will kill 'em again.

Old stock bikes and bobbers never seem to go out of style, though.

Quick Reply: Trends that have come and gone.