General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warranty worriers

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 09:43 AM
craigffb
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 132 Posts
Default Warranty worriers

I haven't owned a Harley for very long so maybe some of you can enlighten me. I see stuff on here about warranty this and warranty that. Save your receipts if you do your own service and such. Are you kidding me??? I don't know about anyone else on here but I do all my own service on everything I own...all the cars and the bike.

I have NEVER once saved a receipt for fluid changes on these vehicles and have never had a problem getting warranty work done on them. I'm pretty sure in modern times they can tell whether or not the fluids have been changed.

But then again I've never had a failure due to oil.

So what's the deal. Are people just period about this stuff or what. And yeah I know Harley this and Harley that...but in reality for most of us I would think the Harley is the least expensive mode of transportation we own.

Flame on.

Old 11-19-2010, 09:46 AM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a GF a while back blow up her engine on her car. She had an extended warranty and the company would not replace the engine unless she showed she had the services done. Lucky we had a buddy who owned a shop and he backdated a couple receipts. Since then I just keep mine on hand if my car or bike is still under warranty. Never had to use them, but it's no big deal to throw them in the file cabinet just in case.

Old 11-19-2010, 09:56 AM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 69 Likes on 21 Posts

Understand your concern but it never hurts to have documentation to prove you did the required maintenance in the event of a warranty claim. If for no other reason I keep the receipts as a record of the maintenance being done, dated, etc. Of course I am **** retentive and most likely a hoarder.

Old 11-19-2010, 09:57 AM
Toypuller
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 5,269 Likes on 1,582 Posts

I do most of my service on both my trucks, my boat and my bike.

All but the bike are out of warranty now. Even when they were in warranty I never had an issue getting warranty work done.

I've never even had a dealer question a warranty issue. Most of them worked with me to get it fixed and back on the road with the minimum amount of hassle.

I've never saved an oil or fluid change receipt.

I do save some of the warranty slips for a while, until I have some time and miles on the repair. That's just so I can refer to them for part #'s and info.

I have a decent relationship with the places I get work done and really believe that attitude more than anything is what saves hassle.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:00 AM
leanhog
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just because Harley do not have a glovebox.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:04 AM
PPBART
Elite HDF Member
Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by craigffb
I haven't owned a Harley for very long so maybe some of you can enlighten me. I see stuff on here about warranty this and warranty that. Save your receipts if you do your own service and such. Are you kidding me??? I don't know about anyone else on here but I do all my own service on everything I own...all the cars and the bike.

I have NEVER once saved a receipt for fluid changes on these vehicles and have never had a problem getting warranty work done on them. I'm pretty sure in modern times they can tell whether or not the fluids have been changed.

But then again I've never had a failure due to oil.

So what's the deal. Are people just period about this stuff or what. And yeah I know Harley this and Harley that...but in reality for most of us I would think the Harley is the least expensive mode of transportation we own.

Flame on.
Never had an issue with H-D, but a few years back we had a dispute with the local Dodge dealer about an engine failure in the wife's Dodge Dynasty. If I had not had the receipts to prove regular service, I'm sure we would have had to sue; once I produced those, we got a new engine without any further argument.

Last Dodge I ever bought...

Old 11-19-2010, 11:34 AM
doghair
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I keep receipts for everything, not just the bike. There are two types, those who have paperwork to back themselves up and those that don't. Guess which type eats less rolaids.

They could also come in handy if you are selling, you could slap them down to show the buyer what had been done. Personally I like it when I'm buying and someone can show me all the paperwork vs. someone that says 'just trust me'.

Old 11-19-2010, 12:10 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Ya can never have too much documentation these days for ANY kind of warranty work!

Old 11-19-2010, 02:27 PM
magna
Stellar HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 148 Posts

Had the return spring in the gearbox go on a Harley i owned some years ago,it was out of the warrenty by a good few months,the spring cost peanuts,but it did a lot of damage when it broke,the bill came to around
£400,but because i had all the service records and bills,Harley picked up the tab.Another reason to keep all the paper work is when you come to sell the bike,having it usually impresses the buyer.

Old 11-19-2010, 02:55 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

I don't worry about my Harley at all, no receipts. 500 miles, big bore, big heads, big tb, exhaust, cams, super tuner ,blah blah blah. If I was a worrier I picked the wrong hobby.