General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's involved in painting chrome?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010 | 10:55 AM
studiopeg
|
Road Warrior
Default What's involved in painting chrome?

OK first no smart-alec comments: I'm a chick and I like pink. I am going to paint my Deluxe to pink and white over the winter.

I really love how the chrome spokes in this pic are pink. I've seen many other bikes with the rims, forks, and other things painted. Looks great.

What's involved in getting this look?

Thanks

Old 11-18-2010 | 11:01 AM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member

Not sure bout painting chrome. Those look like some kind of covering on each spoke. Nice looking bike for a lady.

Old 11-18-2010 | 11:06 AM
RjCapp
Road Master

repaint the tins, have ur seat customized with pink dyed leather, buy new wheels with pink powder coated spokes. I did not notice chrome painted pink.

Old 11-18-2010 | 11:06 AM
bubbabear
Road Master

Those are aftermarket wheels, can't remember the company, maybe hallcraft?

Old 11-18-2010 | 11:12 AM
bronxbill
Road Warrior
Veteran: Marine Corp

Very hard to make paint adhere to chrome even if the chrome is scuffed. You will eventually get chipping and peeling. Powdercoat is a better way to go.

Old 11-18-2010 | 11:27 AM
studiopeg
|
Road Warrior

Wait a sec... so you powdercoat over the chrome? Sorry I'm a bit naive about this stuff.

The below pic sure seems to have chrome wheels but the inner "spokes" are green. So that's powerdercoating over chrome?

I've already got a custom seat, pillion, backrest, tank panel, and windshield bag all in progress. I'd really love to do something with my wheels too.

Thanks everyone, you guys are great

Old 11-18-2010 | 11:42 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by studiopeg
Wait a sec... so you powdercoat over the chrome? Sorry I'm a bit naive about this stuff.

The below pic sure seems to have chrome wheels but the inner "spokes" are green. So that's powerdercoating over chrome?

I've already got a custom seat, pillion, backrest, tank panel, and windshield bag all in progress. I'd really love to do something with my wheels too.

Thanks everyone, you guys are great
Think of powder coating as modern paint. Basically fine particles of plastic are sprayed on the surface (similar to spray paint) then baked to cure. You can get kits to do this yourself and a regular kitchen oven will work for baking (I would dedicate an oven to this sort of thing).
It is harder than paint and adheres better.

To paint chrome scuff it real good with scotch bright pads then acid wash to etch it. That's the way we did it years ago. It actually held up fairly well,
but I did repaint some after a few years.

Old 11-18-2010 | 11:50 AM
Finn111
Road Warrior

What they will do is strip the chrome off the spokes (Or just go buy new, non-chromed ones) THEN Powdercoat and reinstall them.

Old 11-18-2010 | 11:52 AM
twistr
Road Warrior

The chrome parts have to be prep'd...Paint does not adhere to well to chrome..powder coating is a way better option (more durable) and most coaters will recommend stripping the chrome too..JMO

Old 11-18-2010 | 12:05 PM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member

Sandblasting would be the best way to remove the chrome before painting or powder coating.

Quick Reply: What's involved in painting chrome?