General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's involved in painting chrome?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2010 | 01:07 PM
rafael53
Road Captain

I hear you...why must we have such expensive tastes. Or rather why everything we like cost so much.

Nice look BTW....yeah, I like pink too.

Even though the wheels IMO add the most to the look I do believe it still be a looker with standard wheels....for now anyways. Get the tins the color you want first for now.

Oh, wait a second...LOL, ya want the wheels first huh?

Old 11-19-2010 | 03:04 PM
studiopeg
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by rafael53
I hear you...why must we have such expensive tastes. Or rather why everything we like cost so much.

Nice look BTW....yeah, I like pink too.

Even though the wheels IMO add the most to the look I do believe it still be a looker with standard wheels....for now anyways. Get the tins the color you want first for now.

Oh, wait a second...LOL, ya want the wheels first huh?
LOL ya I want those wheels... the neat thing about all this is, I traded doing a website for the bike being painted over the winter, so the tins won't cost me $ just labor.

I also traded doing a website for a custom seat, pillion, backrest, tank panel, and windshield bag. The guy makes GREAT custom seats, he told me I can have anything I want -- any skin, any mods, any stitching -- whatever I want. I'm just having trouble figuring out what I want

So the wheels will be the big $$ expense -- I got a quote back from Ride Wright --$1700 for the set. I need to talk to Santa...

Old 11-19-2010 | 03:08 PM
studiopeg
|
Road Warrior

BTW does anyone know about what mileage is average for needing a new back tire? I'm at 10,000 miles now and forgot to look at the back tire before she went into storage.

Old 11-19-2010 | 06:27 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Riders Club Member

I wouldn't do this color for 2 reasons:

1. You will totally kill the resale value of the bike. No guy will buy it, and even most female bikers (my GF included) don't want a pink bike.

2. It will be obvious that the bike is female owned (unless maybe you live in San Fran) and unfortunately, these days that could leave you vulnerable to criminal actions or worse, especially if you are riding alone.

Old 11-19-2010 | 06:36 PM
HD&CUMMINS
Banned

Originally Posted by dickey

1. You will totally kill the resale value of the bike. No guy will buy it, and even most female bikers (my GF included) don't want a pink bike.

2. It will be obvious that the bike is female owned (unless maybe you live in San Fran) and unfortunately, these days that could leave you vulnerable to criminal actions or worse, especially if you are riding alone.

I agree with the resale part. If youre going to keep the bike forever(and you are for sure about this) and its paid off I would do whatever you want to the bike. If its not paid off and you plan on moving up later dont do it. A dealer will low ball the hell out of you or not even take it.

If keep forever then go for it, If paid off allows you to take a hit and not have to sell it for a certain payoff price. Some guy may offer you $9k because he has to repaint etc and may take a hit but thats what you do with a custom bike/truck/car etc.

I dont agree with the criminal actions. Are you saying because its pink she will be hurt by others? If so thats just flat out retarded.

I dont think anyone will mess with you if its pink. They will know its a chicks bike and if riding alone or in a pack I would give a thumbs up to you.

Old 11-19-2010 | 06:56 PM
studiopeg
|
Road Warrior

Those are good points, they really are. But 1) my bike is paid off, and 2) I rarely ride alone, it just isn't any fun for me.

I've already customized my bike beyond the resale value point. I've got over 1,300 crystals all over it. One already knows it's a chick's bike. I get tons of gawkers and compliments but it's obvious the bike has a limited re-sale target audience already.

I really love this bike. I want a Road Glide very badly, but would never trade my Deluxe for anything. I want a Road Glide in *addition* to my Deluxe Someday... But in the meantime, I want to make my bike my own and keep it for a very long time.

Originally Posted by dickey

Old 11-19-2010 | 08:22 PM
zukeeper
Elite HDF Member

to hell with resale , its YOUR bike , make it yours

Old 11-19-2010 | 08:45 PM
studiopeg
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by zukeeper
to hell with resale , its YOUR bike , make it yours
Preach it! Amen!

Old 11-19-2010 | 10:46 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Riders Club Member

Originally Posted by HD&CUMMINS
I agree with the resale part. If youre going to keep the bike forever(and you are for sure about this) and its paid off I would do whatever you want to the bike. If its not paid off and you plan on moving up later dont do it. A dealer will low ball the hell out of you or not even take it.

If keep forever then go for it, If paid off allows you to take a hit and not have to sell it for a certain payoff price. Some guy may offer you $9k because he has to repaint etc and may take a hit but thats what you do with a custom bike/truck/car etc.

I dont agree with the criminal actions. Are you saying because its pink she will be hurt by others? If so thats just flat out retarded.

I dont think anyone will mess with you if its pink. They will know its a chicks bike and if riding alone or in a pack I would give a thumbs up to you.
YOU might give her the thumbs up, & so would I, but if some degenerate lowlife sees the bike when she's parked somewhere alone, they KNOW it's a girl's bike & might hang around to give her a hard time OR WORSE!! That is the same reason why alot of women living alone use their first initial instead of their name for their phonebook listing.
I get nervous enough when my GF rides alone, & she has a carry permit and packs a roscoe when she rides.

Old 11-19-2010 | 11:13 PM
j1mmy
Elite HDF Member

you could buy new stainless spokes for your bike for less then $100,ea.wheel. have them powder coated what ever color you want,pink.probaly around $100 for all,then have an indy take your wheels off,cut all the old spokes out of the rims,and relace new colored spokes,then put back togeather..for 2-3 hours labor..still would be 5-600 but a lot cheaper then custom wheels..for a chick that bike would be awsome..wish i could build something like that for my wife.. the only problem is i wouldnt be able to sneak it out for a ride anymore..

Quick Reply: What's involved in painting chrome?