General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's involved in painting chrome?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010 | 03:38 PM
DCLXVI
Road Warrior

I've used paint on chrome with great results. First sand it then apply self-etching primer. Once that is dry apply paint in a normal fashion. Powder coating is nice but paint can be just as nice. You just have to take your time with prep work.

Old 11-18-2010 | 04:25 PM
HD&CUMMINS
Banned

Def. PM or google thepowderpro.com I think. Seems to do awesome work and great prices. Everyone who has dealt with him here loves his work.

I would def. get them powdercoated. For both wheels you might look at about $50-$100 a piece. I had 18x12 on my truck and wanted them to be pc black from chrome. Was quoted $75 a piece.

I have painted chrome. I had chrome bumpers on my truck. Takes some time to prep but isnt that bad actually.

Sand the chrome, use a self etching primer( i used an army green color) then paint over in whatever color in a normal fashion. Hitting all the spokes might be tough but can be done. I have seen paint hold up well and PC chip within a few days. ****, spray painting parts etc is awesome. If you prep and take time it can look great with paint. Dont rush it and make sure you have a clean area a stand is a plus(horse) and nice weather.

Heres my truck. Sanded down well, acrylic clean, self etching primer, then black spray paint. No issues.

front bumper and grill

rear bumper

Last edited by HD&CUMMINS; 11-18-2010 at 04:33 PM.
Old 11-19-2010 | 10:02 AM
studiopeg
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by hoethree
check these pink spokes out, maybe the vendor can help you

http://www.bikeman.com/BTI-SF7283.ht...ign=GoogleBase

Cool I am checking this out right now... even tho those are bicycle spokes like you said maybe he can point me elsewhere

Last edited by studiopeg; 11-19-2010 at 10:05 AM.
Old 11-19-2010 | 10:17 AM
SMF
Banned

Thats powder coating on the spokes miss. Just buy the new wheels because if you take them in to get painted they are going to paint the whole thing or charge you take the wheels apart. If you get it done before they build the wheels its usually 2 dollars a spoke for pc.

Old 11-19-2010 | 10:23 AM
studiopeg
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by monstead
give these folks a try...don't know anything about them, but a conversation might give you some insight. http://ridewrightwheels.com/cms/inde...d=46&Itemid=54

Another thought is to post in the Softail section...there are a few guys out in Calif that have fat spokes on their Deluxes - the look is pretty big out that way. Maybe someone over there can give you some specific advice.
Thanks, bookmarked!

Old 11-19-2010 | 10:25 AM
abi
Tourer

Originally Posted by DCLXVI
I've used paint on chrome with great results. First sand it then apply self-etching primer. Once that is dry apply paint in a normal fashion. Powder coating is nice but paint can be just as nice. You just have to take your time with prep work.
+1. I've painted a number of chrome parts without any problems. I would NOT recommend paint on wheels however. Spinning wheels combined with flying rocks equals lots of chipped paint.

Old 11-19-2010 | 10:26 AM
studiopeg
|
Road Warrior

That came out great, looks very good!

Originally Posted by HD&CUMMINS
Def. PM or google thepowderpro.com I think. Seems to do awesome work and great prices. Everyone who has dealt with him here loves his work.

I would def. get them powdercoated. For both wheels you might look at about $50-$100 a piece. I had 18x12 on my truck and wanted them to be pc black from chrome. Was quoted $75 a piece.

I have painted chrome. I had chrome bumpers on my truck. Takes some time to prep but isnt that bad actually.

Sand the chrome, use a self etching primer( i used an army green color) then paint over in whatever color in a normal fashion. Hitting all the spokes might be tough but can be done. I have seen paint hold up well and PC chip within a few days. ****, spray painting parts etc is awesome. If you prep and take time it can look great with paint. Dont rush it and make sure you have a clean area a stand is a plus(horse) and nice weather.

Heres my truck. Sanded down well, acrylic clean, self etching primer, then black spray paint. No issues.

front bumper and grill

rear bumper

Old 11-19-2010 | 11:11 AM
studiopeg
|
Road Warrior

monstead,

I just contacted them because the pink spoked bike pic looks just like their wheels, even though I didn't see pink as an option on their website. I'm waiting to hear back from them. Thank you SO much for finding this!!

Originally Posted by monstead
give these folks a try...don't know anything about them, but a conversation might give you some insight. http://ridewrightwheels.com/cms/inde...d=46&Itemid=54

Another thought is to post in the Softail section...there are a few guys out in Calif that have fat spokes on their Deluxes - the look is pretty big out that way. Maybe someone over there can give you some specific advice.

Old 11-19-2010 | 11:20 AM
rafael53
Road Captain

I believe you should also check Mammoth Wheels and DNA. They have fat spoke wheels and I believe they have color options. They aren't cheap though...man they aint cheap. But at least might help you get where you're going.

Old 11-19-2010 | 12:53 PM
studiopeg
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by rafael53
I believe you should also check Mammoth Wheels and DNA. They have fat spoke wheels and I believe they have color options. They aren't cheap though...man they aint cheap. But at least might help you get where you're going.
Yeah, this option might be out. So far I am hearing the price will be $$$$$. I don't know if it would be worth it.

Ultimately, this is the look that I want (although this is mostly Photoshop):

Quick Reply: What's involved in painting chrome?