General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's involved in painting chrome?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010 | 12:08 PM
SlowRain
Road Master

I think powder coating, at least in the long run, is probably your best solution. By the time you prep chrome for paint, and then in several years find yourself dealing with it again...well, powder coating is a better option to go with.

Old 11-18-2010 | 12:36 PM
48pan
Tourer

Best thing to do IMHO is to buy new spokes and have them painted of powdercoated. Paint won't stick to chrome because of the smooth surface. If you're going to use your spokes you have now you'll have to disassemble the wheels and scuff up the surface on the spokes. Sand or bead blast or sandpaper/ scotchbrite will do the trick. The spokes should be painted/powdercoated off the wheels, you'll get a more even coat that way. Powdercoating does give it a stronger finish but the draw back to powdercoating is it is more difficult to touch up is you get damage. Paint is not as hard as powdercoating but it is easier to touch up. I'm more of a fan of paint for that reason, but I've never painted/powder coated spokes. Just my 2 cents.

Good luck with the look.

Old 11-18-2010 | 01:02 PM
brenn
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by piasspj
To paint chrome scuff it real good with scotch bright pads then acid wash to etch it. That's the way we did it years ago. It actually held up fairly well,
but I did repaint some after a few years.
I was thinking of painting some chrome pipes black - my plan was to sandblast with aluminum oxide. I don't know if it would take chrome off, but it would give a rough, even surface.

For pink - powder coat is a good choice - here's some info on DIY powder coating: http://www.powderperfect.com/ppstoreeastwoodDIY.asp

If I didn't want to do powder coating, I'd get some duracoat from Lauer. http://www.lauerweaponry.com/duracoat_faqs.cfm

Old 11-18-2010 | 01:16 PM
studiopeg
|
Road Warrior

Thanks everyone, great stuff. Lots of leads to go on now.

Over the summer I did pick up a local guy's powerdercoating business card, so I think I will give him a shout and tell him what I'm looking for.

Can't wait for Spring -- new paint, new seats, new pipes... she's gonna be a sweet ride.

Old 11-18-2010 | 01:19 PM
kamut
Tourer

The Powder Pro is a site sponsor located in Illinois. His name is Joe. He responds to PM's (very responsive), very good reputation. You can mail stuff to him to powdercoat if need be.
You might want to check with him.

Old 11-18-2010 | 01:46 PM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member

I'm not a chick and I like pink too!!

Old 11-18-2010 | 03:03 PM
studiopeg
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by fasthoss
i'm not a chick and i like pink too!!
you rock!

Old 11-18-2010 | 03:07 PM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member

check these pink spokes out, maybe the vendor can help you

http://www.bikeman.com/BTI-SF7283.ht...ign=GoogleBase

Old 11-18-2010 | 03:11 PM
monstead
Club Member
From: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM when I can find the time....

give these folks a try...don't know anything about them, but a conversation might give you some insight. http://ridewrightwheels.com/cms/inde...d=46&Itemid=54

Another thought is to post in the Softail section...there are a few guys out in Calif that have fat spokes on their Deluxes - the look is pretty big out that way. Maybe someone over there can give you some specific advice.

Last edited by monstead; 11-18-2010 at 03:15 PM.
Old 11-18-2010 | 03:25 PM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member

Looks like Monstead is on the right track for those colored spoked wheels. Betcha they have'm.

Quick Reply: What's involved in painting chrome?