General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cover or no Cover

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 09:56 AM
daleg3556
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Cover or no Cover

For those of you who don't live in a climate where you can ride year round I am wondering your thoughts on covering your bike vs leaving it un-covered. My bikes will sit several weeks at a time this time of year in a garage with the doors open all the time. Closing the garage doors is not an option for various reasons. My main concern is corrosion and pitting.

Old 11-18-2010, 10:03 AM
Rick-e
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the garage will keep the weather off the bike, I'd cover it with a dust cover. A breathable motorcycle cover, cotton sheet or what I use, a cotton drop cloth.

Old 11-18-2010, 10:10 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I'd cover it with a decent outdoor cover.

Old 11-18-2010, 10:32 AM
CRASH69
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick-e
If the garage will keep the weather off the bike, I'd cover it with a dust cover. A breathable motorcycle cover, cotton sheet or what I use, a cotton drop cloth.
Clean the bike, Cover with cotton, Thats what I do...Crash

Old 11-18-2010, 10:36 AM
rafael53
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, I can ride year round down here but when I kept mine in the garage I was just 2 blocks from the ocean and it was uncovered. But the doors were closed...mainly concerned with theft. I got a small floor oscillating fan which I kept on all the time at low speed....cut down on humidity. No problems with rust or pitting. FWIW I stayed there about 7 months.

Now I have a car port and I do cover my bike but only when I drive my vehicle. Again concerned about theft and no other reason.....don't want to advertise what it is from the street. Still no worries with rust and pitting. Although it dose build condensation under my cover and I do belive if I had to keep my bike covered for any lenght of time that might be a problem. My cover is vented BTW.

I definitely liked the garage and fan better but for reasons that won't concern you. LOL, sounds like I mean non of your business. What I mean is that I ride mine all the time just about so putting on and takin off the cover frequently is a PIA. But you'll cover yours for a while I reckon.

Ha....guess why you asked for people that don't ride year round huh? Sorry....I'm lonely.

I think I'd still prefer the garage and fan...never really worried about dust or any of that stuff anyways.

Old 11-18-2010, 10:38 AM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I use an old sheet. works great

Old 11-18-2010, 10:38 AM
danmo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Mine doesn't get covered, my Dad doesn't cover his or my Mom's either. We covered them one year and it didn't seem to leave them any cleaner.
Though if my Dad is gonna be cutting or grinding he'll throw sheets over them.

Old 11-18-2010, 10:51 AM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,540 Likes on 932 Posts

Cotton Nelson Rigg indoor covers on mine. Keeps them clean but if there is a lot of moisture in your area the cotton will absorb it.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...ust-Cover.aspx

These covers now have a coating on the outside so they don't absorb moisture. Size 2XL for a large cruiser or touring bike will fall to the floor & seal dust out.

Old 11-18-2010, 10:59 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I cover my bike in my garage with two sheets over the winter.

Old 11-18-2010, 11:06 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by daleg3556
For those of you who don't live in a climate where you can ride year round I am wondering your thoughts on covering your bike vs leaving it un-covered. My bikes will sit several weeks at a time this time of year in a garage with the doors open all the time. Closing the garage doors is not an option for various reasons. My main concern is corrosion and pitting.
How come it seems like every question on winter storage, heated gear, etc., comes from South Carolina? Aren't your winter highs in the 50's and 60's or higher? Is it just that I notice the ones from warm climates more?

Quick Reply: Cover or no Cover