General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who Rode to work today?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010 | 09:39 AM
Tripleshot
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, 37 degrees and with my leathers on, only cool place was the cheeks of my face. Southern Utah has great riding weather and bumps and cuts in the topagraphy that always make riding a pleasure.

Old 11-18-2010 | 10:08 AM
jstdadd
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yeah, chaps reduce the pain

I rode today in San Diego, my commute is 27 miles one way. Went from 40 degrees to 54 degrees along the way. I always seem to think that I don't need the gauntlet gloves until I've gone about 1/2 mile, then I wonder why I didn't remember yesterday. I try to ride every day that is dry.

Got some leather chaps this week, it helps a lot. I don't have a lot of cold weather gear, but the neck gaiter, the leather jacket, some decent gloves and chaps with 10" daily riding boots bring things from painful to possible.

My limit is about 37 degrees; windshield will fog over, there is usually muck on the road, and I worry about small amounts of black ice in the canyons if I hit a cold spot. I try to avoid the rain, people here don't drive much in the rain, so they go way too fast for the conditions and half the tires have no tread...besides the obvious ... riding in the rain sucks!

BUT - I ride every day that I can. Lots less scooters on the road in the morning than a month ago.

Old 11-18-2010 | 10:09 AM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I ride most days all year around. Living in the mtns at 4200' elev east of San Diego I have some whacky weather variations to deal with and live off a 2 mile stretch of dirt road. Soooooo, if the dirt road isn't muddy after a rain or snow I usually ride. Day time is usually 40's or 50's even on a cold day down in SD, but here in the mtns it can be in the teens where I live. If below 30* I usually wimp out unless it's a road trip I'm leaving on. It's a 67 mile commute each way... 135 miles a day.

Calif? I've been here over 26 yrs. I've got 3 yrs to retirement. When that day comes I'm out of here and will be living at my place east of Kingman, AZ in the mtns. The weather in Calif is arguably the best on earth - hence the riding is nearly impossible to beat, but the idiots, liberals and impending collapse of this state thanks to it's communist leadership is too much to put up with. Arizona is hardcore conservative and that's where I belong...

Last edited by Arizona; 11-18-2010 at 10:30 AM.
Old 11-18-2010 | 10:16 AM
HarleyRanger
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ride every day here in Las Vegas. Have to, don't have a car.

Old 11-18-2010 | 10:19 AM
MADDOG187
Road Master

did it day before yesterday , about 0 degrees , not good ,very frostie and i got very cold hands , rained yesterday and today , hope its dry 2moro , ill be at it again , it will be cold though ,about -3 on the way home at 2 am .....i must be mad , 30 miles each way , im hanging on as long as possible ,but when theres a bit more ice about , ill lock her up and do some mods ill still get the odd spin during the day though

Old 11-18-2010 | 10:23 AM
Big_Al47
Ultimate HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 93 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by SoonerSoftail
It was 43 this morning. It was a bit cool but not too bad.
Same here.... a 3/4 helmet, ugly goggles and large beard really help with the cold

Old 11-18-2010 | 10:42 AM
deadhawg
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 1,802 Likes on 690 Posts

[quote=CRASH69;7546850]
Originally Posted by deadhawg
I wasn't the guy who said they hate living in so cal, but I do live there. It has it's good points, the weather being one of the biggest, but lots of things about it suck big time. Traffic, smog, liberal, tree hugging, gun hating morons, high taxes, stupid laws, posers and rubs.

I always wanted to move to cali, I quess im better off staying in Florida...Crash
It's a great place to visit, some of the best bike roads anywhere in the world, the PCH (Pacific Coast Highway) is awesome, riding through the redwoods is amazing, even Death Valley in the springtime is a great ride. Too bad the politicians have screwed it up so bad.

Old 11-18-2010 | 10:47 AM
rafael53
Road Captain

Originally Posted by HarleyRanger
I ride every day here in Las Vegas. Have to, don't have a car.
Ha...I remember them days. I drive mine to work everyday. Can't beat the cost of gas. Filled up this morning...only 11.75. My vehicle would have been 60 to 70 bucks.

Old 11-18-2010 | 12:27 PM
cadman311
Club Member

I ride to work daily rain or shine.

Old 11-18-2010 | 12:36 PM
Giddy_up
Intermediate

Rode to work almost everyday when I worked. The picture of my scooter is in the parking lot of my office. Now that I don't work, I ride. . . well, that-a-way!

Quick Reply: Who Rode to work today?