General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why are MC wheels so expensive?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 08:13 AM
Just Dave
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Tactical111
Those are nice and about what I was thinking of for my Electra Glide. Can I ask what brand and where to find them? $350 ea. is expensive but doable for me.
He told you the brand, They are Harley Wheels. Read his post again. I have just been down this wheel road recently because I wanted to get rid of a 21' pizza cutter on a Softail Custom and put a 120 on the front to improve the drive ability. After searching high and low I came to the conclusion that the Harley wheels are the most reasonable priced ones out there. Probably because of volume of sales. I wound up getting lucky and ran across a Clearance Rev-Tec that was just what I wanted for $ 97.00. I could not believe my luck and figured something had to be wrong with it but I ordered it anyway and it arrived new in box just as advertised. Turns out some guy had ordered it and paid 75% down and then the folks never heard from him again and had been sitting on it for two years. So thanks for my wheel sir, whoever you are, I hope all is well with you and rest assured that the wheel is being put to good use.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:53 AM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by MidnitEvil
It's all about initial costs and production numbers.
As an example, with made up numbers;

Initial costs (design, tooling, etc.) - $10,000
Manufacturing cost - $100
(plus you need to build some profit into that, but lets ignore that part for now)

If you sell just one, the selling price would need to be $10,100
If you sell 10,000 units, your initial cost goes down to $1 per unit - you could sell them for $101. If you sell a million units, your initial cost become an insignificant part of the price.

Motorcycle parts are pretty much always limited production. The market just isn't that big. Many parts only fit one bike, and in some cases, only for a year or maybe a couple of years.

The market for car parts is considerably larger than the bike market. Something like wheels might fit a large number of different models over a long period of model years. The production numbers for those wheels could easily be in the tens of thousands.

It's not some motorcycle industry conspiracy to rob you of your cash. These manufacturers are not getting rich off us. It's just how things work.
You did the math.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:59 AM
MADDOG187
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if bikes come with wheels , why change them ?

Old 11-18-2010, 03:42 PM
GMbagger
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MADDOG187
if bikes come with wheels , why change them ?

Really? Your gonna start this?

Last edited by GMbagger; 11-18-2010 at 03:47 PM.
Old 11-18-2010, 05:07 PM
Tactical111
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Thumbs down Take pity...

Originally Posted by Other Sheep
My Heritage came with wheels. Guess I was lucky.
on the less fortunate. Just because your bike came with wheels doesn't mean everyone's did. I don't think you even realize the pure agony of seeing your bike sitting on blocks day after day as you search for wheels?

Jeez, man have some compassion!! I bet you kick little puppies and knock down old ladies too?? You really need some sensitivity training, dude.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:04 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Tactical111
on the less fortunate. Just because your bike came with wheels doesn't mean everyone's did. I don't think you even realize the pure agony of seeing your bike sitting on blocks day after day as you search for wheels?

Jeez, man have some compassion!! I bet you kick little puppies and knock down old ladies too?? You really need some sensitivity training, dude.
Your bike is on blocks? Really? And we are supposed to know that how? HAHA.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:15 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Yeah... biker rednecks. 3 bikes in the yard, none have wheels, all up on blocks. On the front porch, there are two old, ripped up motorcycle seats where everyone sits and drinks their beer.

Old 11-19-2010, 03:17 AM
BBBSS
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cheap car wheels are just that, cheap. Junk, heavy, weak castings with poor chrome that will pit and peel in a year. You get what you pay for.

Old 11-19-2010, 03:57 AM
Tactical111
Road Master

Hey Kowan, check out www.jpcycles.com. They've got some really nice looking tubeless spoke wheels for a few hundred bucks each. Not sure if they have the right fit for your bike but there is a pretty good selection. The reason I'm even considering new wheels is because my rear wheel has a "slow" leak losing about 4lb./wk. It's not the stem or the tire so it must be the rim is pitted as I had the same thing happen on a truck rim. That got me looking at new "aftermarket" wheels. I'm sure I could fix my stock cast mag spoker and probably will.

Old 11-19-2010, 04:00 AM
Tactical111
Road Master
Wink Budweiser...

That's right; and the bags are full of empty beer cans. Where the hell else am I supposed to keep them?

Quick Reply: Why are MC wheels so expensive?