Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why are MC wheels so expensive?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 04:06 PM
kanelakos
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Tactical111
I've seen tubeless spoke ( looking) wheels and have considered them as they are so fine looking and old school. I just remember adjusting the spokes on my bicycles as a kid and how the wheel would wobble when I stode the bike on it's seat and would spin the wheels. For that reason plus overall strength I like the solid mag wheels on a heavy cruiser.

Fine looking bike BTW; that color is awesome !
Thanks! HD calls it Scarlet Red. I heard bad stories of flats with tubed tires... air releases quickly, cant fix on road to get home ect. Just looked at some wheels after my last post on this thread and these guys weren't kidding! Holy Crap! Pricey bastards! Do you have a link to those "tubeless spoke ( looking) wheels"? I am curious as to the pricing. Being a bit new to biking and not knowledgeable enough, I might have chosen a different model because of the wheels... or am I over reacting?

Old 11-17-2010, 04:46 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Any part has to be mocked up and tested, commonly called R&D and then if all is ok after all the testing and certifications are obtained then they project costs to manufacture and distribute versus revenue received. Only 1 wheel sold(Front and rear are different even when the same size) usually per item R&D'd per bike, 4 wheels per car sold to split the costs, you do the math.

Old 11-17-2010, 07:41 PM
Tactical111
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Question Tubeless Spokes...

Originally Posted by kanelakos
Thanks! HD calls it Scarlet Red. I heard bad stories of flats with tubed tires... air releases quickly, cant fix on road to get home ect. Just looked at some wheels after my last post on this thread and these guys weren't kidding! Holy Crap! Pricey bastards! Do you have a link to those "tubeless spoke ( looking) wheels"? I am curious as to the pricing. Being a bit new to biking and not knowledgeable enough, I might have chosen a different model because of the wheels... or am I over reacting?
Can't recall where I saw them. I did a search on the Inet for MC wheels and came across them. If I recall I'll let you know. It may have been Rev Tech but can't be sure.

Old 11-17-2010, 10:54 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

My Heritage came with wheels. Guess I was lucky.

Old 11-18-2010, 12:10 AM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

It's all about initial costs and production numbers.
As an example, with made up numbers;

Initial costs (design, tooling, etc.) - $10,000
Manufacturing cost - $100
(plus you need to build some profit into that, but lets ignore that part for now)

If you sell just one, the selling price would need to be $10,100
If you sell 10,000 units, your initial cost goes down to $1 per unit - you could sell them for $101. If you sell a million units, your initial cost become an insignificant part of the price.

Motorcycle parts are pretty much always limited production. The market just isn't that big. Many parts only fit one bike, and in some cases, only for a year or maybe a couple of years.

The market for car parts is considerably larger than the bike market. Something like wheels might fit a large number of different models over a long period of model years. The production numbers for those wheels could easily be in the tens of thousands.

It's not some motorcycle industry conspiracy to rob you of your cash. These manufacturers are not getting rich off us. It's just how things work.

Old 11-18-2010, 12:35 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Yeppers its just U........

I notice that back in 1968 when I bought my first set of Harley wheels.

Old 11-18-2010, 01:54 AM
Tactical111
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Thumbs up Makes cents...no dollars!

Originally Posted by MidnitEvil
It's all about initial costs and production numbers.
As an example, with made up numbers;

Initial costs (design, tooling, etc.) - $10,000
Manufacturing cost - $100
(plus you need to build some profit into that, but lets ignore that part for now)

If you sell just one, the selling price would need to be $10,100
If you sell 10,000 units, your initial cost goes down to $1 per unit - you could sell them for $101. If you sell a million units, your initial cost become an insignificant part of the price.

Motorcycle parts are pretty much always limited production. The market just isn't that big. Many parts only fit one bike, and in some cases, only for a year or maybe a couple of years.

The market for car parts is considerably larger than the bike market. Something like wheels might fit a large number of different models over a long period of model years. The production numbers for those wheels could easily be in the tens of thousands.

It's not some motorcycle industry conspiracy to rob you of your cash. These manufacturers are not getting rich off us. It's just how things work.
Now the $2500 billet wheel makes perfect sense. Also with the billets is the cost of the material plus all the machining to cut it down, chrome it, etc. Now when I see a nice custom MC wheel for around $400 I'll consider it a bargain.

Old 11-18-2010, 02:44 AM
kanelakos
Road Master

Originally Posted by Other Sheep
My Heritage came with wheels. Guess I was lucky.

Old 11-18-2010, 02:47 AM
kanelakos
Road Master

Originally Posted by oct1949
Yeppers its just U........

I notice that back in 1968 when I bought my first set of Harley wheels.
I am assuming your response is to my question of over reacting. First set of wheels in '68?? Man.... I thought I was getting old!

Old 11-18-2010, 06:34 AM
4 inch pistons
Road Master
Received 142 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickrc3
Absolutely, liability! I've purhased many wheels for various vehicles over the past 30 years and the one thing I observed with motorcycle wheels was the quality factor.
My other 'illness' is constructing and flying giant-scale R/C airplanes. What do you think about spending $250.00 for one 6" B-17 'scale' wheel?
Foolish? Possibly, but's again, it's what the market bears.

I played that game for over 20 years.--- GIANT SCALE! Quit twice and won't go back. Two servos per wing-- 2 on the elevator and 2 ganged on the rudder at about $120 each. Twin Cylinder gas engine @ $1200 and $200 for the stupid mufflers that are not included. Set of retracts for a giant scale warbird for about $600 and they are not reliable after a month so that you cart wheel down the runway when only one comes down. Put it in a trash bag and start all over. Yep-- I learned my lesson

Quick Reply: Why are MC wheels so expensive?