General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Texas Registration Information for Title Transfer issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 09:22 AM
underdog2003
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Texas Registration Information for Title Transfer issues

I started another thread in reference to my problem with getting my title from Harley Financing in a timely fashion so I could register my 09 FXDB that I bought from a co-worker's son who is in the military and had his bike financed and registered in California. It has been 6 weeks since my bank paid off that loan with Harley, and still no title yet.

I went to the DMV today and found out some useful information in regards to this process that I wanted to pass along to those from Texas that find themselves in my same predicament (apparently my situation is a very common one; especially when dealing with Harley).

In Texas you can get a 30 day temporary tag for $25 and all you need to show is proof of insurance and the VIN. When you buy the temporary tag you can tell the clerk on what date and time you would like the tag to take effect.

If you have a hard time getting your title from anyone, any company in any state, you can get a bonded title which is in essence as good as the original and will show you as the official new owner. For this process you will need to bring all applicable paperwork on your purchase such as loan papers, bill of sale, copies of checks etc. and they will make a decision if they are satisfied that you are in fact the new owner. It is not an automatic process, however, if you have undisputable paperwork that shows you bought the bike it shouldn't be a problem.

To do this you can't just go to any Tax office, you have to go to a designated one. In Collin County, where I live, that office is at 1925 E. Beltline Rd. Ste 100 Carrollton, TX 75006 972-417-0884.

I hope this information will help someone down the road.

Old 11-16-2010, 09:36 AM
CWDoc115
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry your having problems. Thanks for the info. Hope this resolves for you soon.

Old 11-17-2010, 04:20 PM
smketr7139
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought my 99 Springer in Texas from a HD stealer and had a similar issue. I made all my arrangements over the phone with the dealer and even wired a large deposit to them before I even went down there. I gave them a weeks notice prior to my departure and LONG drive down there. I paid for the cycle with a BANK check but they would not produce the PHYSICAL title for the cycle. They said that it would be shipped to me FedEx...so I made sure I got every and all paperwork and swallowed the lump in my throat and came home with my cycle. AFTER 2.5 WEEKS I called the dealer back and informed them I still did not have my title. The DMV in IL told me to just get my proof of Insurance and carry my bill of sale and I was legal with the Texas Plate. It ended up coming at the 3 week timeline and it was FedEx but it was over-nited!! They blamed Harley...