General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer adds "get ready for resale" cost to trade in??

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 09:41 PM
Ozoneman
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tgshoe
This not normal. The reason the "trade-in" allownace is so much less than the retail value is so the dealer can make the bike ready to sell and still make money when it is sold for the retail value. This is merely another tactic to give you less for your trade-in. Don't you think mileage deductions are to account for worn items? What else would it be for? I absolutley would not go along with that I would go elsewhere and if everyone did it I would refuse to purchase. Somewhere we as consumers must draw the line. -
I agree! I hate dealing with salesmen like that! My wife had a Street Bob that we planned to trade in so we took it around to a few dealerships. The guy at one dealership goes over the entire bike listing the smallest things. And then deducted those things off the NADA wholesale price. He found things I didn't even notice before (for example, a scratch on a footpeg). Then he adds an amount to deduct for a 10,000 mile service that wasn't even due yet (bike had 7,500 miles on it). That did it! Needless to say, we walked out of that dealership really fast!