General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer adds "get ready for resale" cost to trade in??

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 12:36 PM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Does not make sense to me at all. Me personally I hate this smoke and Mirrors BS. I would just go some place else.

Old 11-16-2010, 03:48 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 49,052 Likes on 17,933 Posts

Perfect opportunity for your best Samuel Jackson imitation in a nice loud voice , " Do I look Like a Bitch ? Then why you trying to F*ck me like one ? "

Old 11-16-2010, 05:45 PM
nytryder
Elite HDF Member
Received 297 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by ElectraDave
This!

+1 try another dealer.

Old 11-16-2010, 07:14 PM
TheJimer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MNPGRider
When I checked into trading our '06 for a 2011 Road Glide Ultra with the 103, the sales rep said they would have to deduct to check out the cam tensioners, then was estatic when I told him I had already installed Andrews gear drives. It made about a $300 difference on what they would give for mine (which I decided to keep).
I guess it depends on how much they gave you for your trade. Dealers tend to give with one hand and try to take it back with the other. Typically a dealer will use NADA, Blue Book or other price guides to determine the trade in value. They will input the mileage and condition of the vehicle. Supposedly, the price guide takes in account normal ware and tare based upon the mileage.

If you are allowing the sales person to deduct for normal maintenance items for preparation of sale, you are in actuality paying twice for the maintenance.

IMO, unless they are giving you a trade figure above book, you are being screwed.

Jim

Old 11-16-2010, 07:17 PM
TheJimer
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by daleg3556
IMO that should be something the dealer takes into account when he gives you the initial trade in value of your bike, not after the fact.
That is absolutely correct!

Jim

Old 11-16-2010, 07:23 PM
greginNH
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the dealer starts that crap, then tell them that they will have to discount the bike to compensate for the 25% you will lose the moment you take the bike off the sales floor!!

Old 11-16-2010, 07:26 PM
TheJimer
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Bet ya didn't get a kiss with that screwing either that kind of bullshit will only happen if you let it , man up and be a bit firmer about and it won't happen again .

That’s an excellent point. Dealers think that just because some other dumb a$$ customers fell for this crap, everybody else will too.

Jim

Old 11-16-2010, 07:36 PM
tgshoe
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This not normal. The reason the "trade-in" allownace is so much less than the retail value is so the dealer can make the bike ready to sell and still make money when it is sold for the retail value. This is merely another tactic to give you less for your trade-in. Don't you think mileage deductions are to account for worn items? What else would it be for? I absolutley would not go along with that I would go elsewhere and if everyone did it I would refuse to purchase. Somewhere we as consumers must draw the line. Of course looking at it from the other view the dealers may be on to something. How many ride their bikes with no modification? Maybe we should charge for "getting our bikes ready to ride" add on where all the things you "need" to do to your bike is taken off the retail value of your bike. We can charge the dealer at their labor and parts rate. Now that is a good idea.-

Last edited by tgshoe; 11-16-2010 at 07:44 PM.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:41 PM
TheJimer
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Mal74
I bet they also charged you a 'documentation fee' for the titlework on your new bike. Car dealers and bike dealers do this to get more money for 'work' that entails nothing more than getting the title out of a file drawer and typing the needed info on an
MV-1 form. I'll bet if you check your contract you'll find it there. They HOPE you don't see it and walk.

I've had them say that's their 'policy.' I tell them it's my 'policy' NOT to pay a few hundred dollars for something that takes less than 10 minutes and 20 dollars to do!
Documentation (DOC) fee’s are nothing but a huge profit center, of which most it goes to pay the salesperson. Although I have never heard of this sales preparation scam, I suspect it too is a sales commission add-on.

Just like your telephone bill…if they can think of a name to call it, they will charge you for it.

Jim

Old 11-16-2010, 08:19 PM
rickb
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

yeah tell they you need to get 2500 off to get the new one ready to ride new seat, air cleaner, down load set of pipes ETC... bet they'll give it to you LOL

Quick Reply: Dealer adds "get ready for resale" cost to trade in??