General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer adds "get ready for resale" cost to trade in??

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 07:39 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

I would have walked out their door soooooo fast they wouldn't even have seen me doing it! That is total BS.

Old 11-14-2010, 07:56 PM
FroggyFatBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

it goes on all the time.. dealers of any kind automatically deduct $500-1,000 on trade value, you just don't know it because they don't tell you..

Old 11-14-2010, 09:03 PM
logdon17
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FIrst of all, how the hell did they come up with over $300 for a set of brake pads and an oil chage?!?! These items can be done with basic hand tools in about an hour for about $75 in parts (assuming its synthetic). And yes, if they tried to slip that in after they gave me a trade price I would absolutely walk out the door.

Old 11-14-2010, 09:17 PM
rocknrick
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Man, that a deal beaker based on principal if nothing else. They should take into account any expected costs to any bike they trade for and base their offer on that. In this specific case, I would have done the oil change myself, but then they would have charged you for new tires. Darn stealers!

Old 11-14-2010, 09:20 PM
babalu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

the craziest part of this story to me is you went into the dealer to buy some t-shirts and got talked into trading in your 2 year old bike for a new one...

Old 11-14-2010, 09:31 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I would have told them I need to think about it and went home. Then gone to another dealer and see if you can beat the deal.

Old 11-14-2010, 10:09 PM
Motorbones
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They tried something simular when I went in and I didn't buy it. They always look for some hook to make money with and I can't say I totally blame them. They are in busines to make money. You just have to be savy enough to catch what they're doing and not let them get away with it. It took me 2 days of negotiating to get what I wanted, but I got the job done. It's silly for them to blow a 18-27,000 deal over a couple of hundred bucks... and like it's been said, you can always walk away and go somewhere else...

Last edited by Motorbones; 11-14-2010 at 10:18 PM.
Old 11-14-2010, 10:17 PM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

What's done is done. Deal is already over...you have a new bike. Do you like it so far?

In the big scheme of things...it's not worth getting worked up over. Did they play you?

YES.

Keep that in mind with ANY future business. In fact, you COULD tell the sales manager that you will have to think twice about having any upgrades done on your bike by them because of it. If he doesn't care, then tell the owner.

But...again....what's done is done. If you like the bike you got, and I'm sure you do, then let it go. Life is too short to get mad over things that have already happened.

The soaking they wanted to give me on my bike is why I bagged my current bike over getting a new FLHX.

Just my .02

~Joe

Old 11-15-2010, 02:39 AM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

The only price you need to be concerned with is the drive away price. It does not really matter how the dealer arrives at that price. Negotiate the difference and walk away if you don't like it. Seems simple enough to me. I try not to get pizzed off with dealers or salesmen. If it's a ridiculous offer, I just laugh and walk away.

Old 11-15-2010, 05:33 AM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 503 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by semiret
Is it normal for the dealer to make you pay to get your trade ready for resale???
yeah...... but they factor THAT amount before making you an offer.....

bottom line... are you HAPPY? with the new bike, and your "out the door price"?

Dealerships have all their fees....that they play with.... everyone of them is "negotiable" to the extent that a dealer simply moves the amount from one column to another

The only thing that matters to ME.... is the final price....HOW that number is divided, by the seller... is their problem

Quick Reply: Dealer adds "get ready for resale" cost to trade in??