General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EVO rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 06:43 AM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,267 Likes on 1,311 Posts

Sorry to hear that your motor didn't last too long. I run AMSOIL in my EVO and change every 5k. AMSOIL recommends changing at 10k! Yikes. Too long for me.

I'm curious, do you know how much oil you were losing inbetween oil changes? My mechanic told me it was normal for an EVO to burn about 1 qt ever 5k.

Old 11-15-2010, 11:22 AM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 69 Likes on 21 Posts

All very interesting comments from what sounds like people in the know. Begs my questions then. I have a 1999 FXR2 with the Evo and carb. My baby has 62K miles on it as she sits quietly on her throne in the Garage. I have NOT done anything but change fluids, replace brake pads, and buy tires. Seems to run just as strong as the day I brought her home. Would any one of you recommend an overhaul of the engine at this point? Always subscribed to the theory of if it aint broke, dont fix it. But I do wonder what the inside looks like. Someone told me that I should have changed out the pushrods TWICE by now but dont know why I would. I am not a motorhead and at best just a shadetree mechanic. Whats your opinion? thanks! Oh, I changed oil every 3K miles and have always ran HD Dino. Oil consumption has always been just under maybe a quart between changes and always looked good when changed.

Old 11-15-2010, 12:34 PM
Fogoms
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hoethree
Would any one of you recommend an overhaul of the engine at this point? Always subscribed to the theory of if it aint broke, dont fix it. But I do wonder what the inside looks like. Someone told me that I should have changed out the pushrods TWICE by now but dont know why I would.
I'd definitely leave it alone. Keep doing what you've been doing until the engine tells you its ready for an overhaul, which hopefuly won't be for many more miles yet. You want to know what the inside looks like? You'll find out one day, be patient. In the meantime you can get a good hint at the condition of the engine by reading your plugs and the fluids you drain out. And if changing out the pushrods isn't in the maintenance schedule, don't bother.

Last edited by Fogoms; 11-15-2010 at 12:43 PM.
Old 11-16-2010, 02:28 PM
LRS
Road Captain
Received 185 Likes on 92 Posts

I lost 1/2 a qt between changes a time or two, but that was always at the times I went on long rides. One time on a ride from Atlanta to Ontario Canada, and once from atlanta out thru missouri.
If it aint broke I sure wouldnt mess with it.

Old 11-16-2010, 04:40 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

All very interesting comments from what sounds like people in the know. Begs my questions then. I have a 1999 FXR2 with the Evo and carb. My baby has 62K miles on it as she sits quietly on her throne in the Garage. I have NOT done anything but change fluids, replace brake pads, and buy tires. Seems to run just as strong as the day I brought her home. Would any one of you recommend an overhaul of the engine at this point? Always subscribed to the theory of if it aint broke, dont fix it. But I do wonder what the inside looks like. Someone told me that I should have changed out the pushrods TWICE by now but dont know why I would. I am not a motorhead and at best just a shadetree mechanic. Whats your opinion? thanks! Oh, I changed oil every 3K miles and have always ran HD Dino. Oil consumption has always been just under maybe a quart between changes and always looked good when changed.
When the sun hits "just right", do you see a hint of smoke coming out the pipes? You already said you didn't notice any other symptoms. If it ain't burning oil, I'd leave it alone.

Old 11-16-2010, 06:21 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,986 Likes on 17,897 Posts

Till that bike starts to feel tired or plugs begin fouling regular I would leave it alone , some of those Evo motors went way over 100,000 before rebuilds or just needing a top end done right off the showroom floor .

Old 11-16-2010, 06:47 PM
yljkt
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Till that bike starts to feel tired or plugs begin fouling regular I would leave it alone , some of those Evo motors went way over 100,000 before rebuilds or just needing a top end done right off the showroom floor .
X2. My 85 FXRS went 85,000 when I re-ringed it and lapped the valves, new valve guide seals, and head and base gaskets. Sold it with over 100k. My 95 dresser was over 100,000 and except for an Andrews cam and other mods, never has the motor apart for a reason. Just winter mods. I ran cheap oil coolers on both, and ran dino oil changed frequently. Evo's seem pretty bullet proof.

Old 11-16-2010, 09:01 PM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 41 Posts

The weak link in EVO's is the INA cam brg. I changed mine out with a Torrington at 27,000 miles on my 99, and it still looked great. Just a piece of mind thing for me. Lifters are another thing that need changed on some of the older ones. I run Castrol GTX 20-50 dino, and change it every 2,000 to 2,500 miles, just because so many EVO's have used this oil and run way over 100,000, and that is what was in it when I got it. Other than the cam brg. and adjustable pushrods, mine is stock, and will stay that way. It has way more power than I need, and my back tires last longer. LOL

Old 11-17-2010, 03:20 AM
LRS
Road Captain
Received 185 Likes on 92 Posts

He should have my engine back to me in a couple of weeks. I removed the oil tank last night and cleaned it very well. I never saw much of anything in it. I guess the filter caught the silt. I figured it bypassed and filled evrything up. When I removed the filter alot of crap came out. Looking forward to gettin her back togather!