General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EVO rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 10:37 AM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Fogoms
Here we go, another oil thread...
LOL Not looking for an oil thread.

But I am sick and tired of people sayin' "there are no reports of oil related failures". Well, I felt I had to ask. It's not like anybody runs around making reports all the time.

Legitimate question. What oil was run in this motor?

Old 11-14-2010, 10:56 AM
Manes
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

back in post #6 he stated Amsoil every 5k miles. Thats stretching it a bit in the motor IMO. I like every 2.5k miles and a primary change every other. And unless my last change occurred near the end of my riding season I do both just to have fresh for next year. Again, just IMO.

Old 11-14-2010, 10:59 AM
Faast Ed
Banned

Originally Posted by Manes
back in post #6 he stated Amsoil every 5k miles. Thats stretching it a bit in the motor IMO. I like every 2.5k miles and a primary change every other. And unless my last change occurred near the end of my riding season I do both just to have fresh for next year. Again, just IMO.
Thanks. I missed that.

Amsoil. Hmmmmm.

Old 11-14-2010, 11:01 AM
Faast Ed
Banned

Originally Posted by LRS
Putting some kind of computer balanced crank assembly in it,Boring it 20 over, puting wiseco pistons, ev27 cam, porting the heads and some other mods he was talkin about. He recommends thunder monster baffles in my straight pipes. He said that balanced crank assembly will be sweet and eliminate alot of vibration. I had run amsoil in it every 5k. He said in an evo he recommends changing it every 2500. He said he really didnt know why it went so early... I figured it went because its mine haha.
You will like that EV27 and the balanced crank.

Old 11-14-2010, 11:19 AM
bloodfarts
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love evos and never owned one. Definitely will be my next harley. Im going to buy the 25th anniversary interceptor first though, did a service on one a few weeks ago and fell in love with it on the test ride. Back to the evo though I will try to find a stock one rebuild it, ev27, high flow and some "old" SE mufflers the good ones= perfection.

Old 11-14-2010, 12:05 PM
Fogoms
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Faast Ed
LOL Not looking for an oil thread.

But I am sick and tired of people sayin' "there are no reports of oil related failures". Well, I felt I had to ask. It's not like anybody runs around making reports all the time.

Legitimate question. What oil was run in this motor?
Just havin' some fun with you, that's all. About the oil, I agree that it's a legitimate question, but I have to think there's more to the story than any of us will know. Amsoil, Mobil 1, the Chavez ****...all that stuff has been running in bikes for years, seemingly without under-50K motors blowing up all over the place. I just don't think it's the oil, or the frequency of changes if every 5K is really how often it was changed.

I'll bet it's a combination of how the bike was broken in, ridden, treated, and maintained. If it was the Motor from Hell right from the factory it probably would have had some serious problems long before now. If I remember correctly the OP said in a prior post that he had the bike for 40K of its 44K life, so I wonder what went on in its first 4K miles that he may not know about, or its last 40K that he hasn't mentioned? Like I said, we'll probably never know. No disrespect or offense intended.

Old 11-14-2010, 01:36 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,986 Likes on 17,897 Posts

40 yrs of bikes and being a mechanic I can tell you sometimes there is no reason for it , just is . I've seen them pop at 8,000 and others have way over 150,000 with a valve job and still running . Good habits and a gentle break in will hedge the odds but sometimes " **** Happens " .

Old 11-14-2010, 01:41 PM
Faast Ed
Banned

I'll bet it's a combination of how the bike was broken in, ridden, treated, and maintained.
Likely nailed it there.

I rode with an evo out to Sturgis. Big passenger and lots of luggage. Kept his throttle pegged all the way there and back (darn near). Motor is still together but I can imagine some wear had to take place. He worked that puppy.

Old 11-15-2010, 05:36 AM
LRS
Road Captain
Received 185 Likes on 92 Posts

Well guys, I have ridden this bike pretty hard. I dont pop wheelies and do burn outs and all of that crap, but me and my wife have went on some pretty long rides, sometimes 6-700 miles a day. We keep it pegged pretty good when were on the hwy and have done alot of mountain riding. I ride with all twin cams, so Ive had to keep it pumped up to stay with em. I changed it every 5k before because thats what the manual called for, but I will not do it again. Im going to 2.5 k from now on. The guy doing my build came highly recommended and has been very straight with me thus far and thats what he advised. As for the 1st 4k of my bikes life, I would assume it was "lugged to death". The individual I bought it from was scared of it and was fouling out plugs the day I bought it. Pullin the choke out and loading the carb. He had to go get a new set. I saved that bike from a life of being a garage ornament and blanket rack.

Old 11-15-2010, 06:05 AM
Fogoms
Road Captain

Originally Posted by LRS
Well guys, I have ridden this bike pretty hard...I saved that bike from a life of being a garage ornament and blanket rack.
Well OK then, there you have it. I was just curious and you answered my question. You did the all right things: you saved the bike, you rode and enjoyed it the way you wanted to, and you're going to reward the bike by remaining faithful to her and giving her a new life. Good for you!

Best of luck with the rebuild and ride safe.

Quick Reply: EVO rebuild