Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Last ride of the Year for Son and I together,!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 01:20 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts
Default Last ride of the Year for Son and I together,!!!

For the last 4 day its been near 70, Unusual for IND.... and Ive put over 650 miles on the bike

But what I hate to think about is the for the next ten days it only going to be high of around 50 and low at night 30.

And thats just to get us ready for winter.

But on the high note the Son and I rode to Brown county (little Nashville IND) which is bout 100 miles south this past Wed...
it was a perfect day, 70 out and the leaves where just barley past there prime...

Still we had a great day, He took off work and we rode for almost seven hrs...

Its was the first time we rode the old 135 state rd south of highway 44 together... which it is really a great road,, lots of turns and hills....

Bottom line is anytime I get to spend with the Son is a great day..

The added bonus was and is when we get time to RIDE together.

Anybody else Get to spend the Maybe last ride/trip of the Yr with there LOVED ones.?????

Old 11-13-2010, 01:36 AM
Denny69
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool. Was he riding on back with you, or?

Old 11-13-2010, 04:31 AM
walkerinin
Road Master
Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Good times with your son!
I love southern Indiana. Nashville, French Lick, Madison...all great areas to ride.

Old 11-13-2010, 04:38 AM
chopped7
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Denny69
Cool. Was he riding on back with you, or?
it wasn't clear but i would guess his son has his own bike. if his username oct1949 means he was born in 49, his son could be my age (40). i would hope he wasn't riding on the back.

my son is 14. he's actually taller than me now. he won't ride with me anymore because he thinks we will look like homos. he is learning to ride my suzuki savage. we will ride together again someday but not for a year and 1/2. my daughter still likes to ride with me though. i'm looking forward to riding with my son on his own bike. i hope that is something we do together in the future. as far as the last ride of the season, the season is just getting started here. fair weather riders are just now getting them out of the garage.

Old 11-13-2010, 05:24 AM
Lambo
Tourer

How about the other way around, I (son) rode yesterday with my dad. I like to get out as much as possible with him and just cruise. Dad is 78 and rides a wing trike, sometimes we go for a good days ride but we do little short stints mostly. He's an old timer who has ridden his 1950 Harley as a young man and I love to hear his war stories of his riding days. At this stage in the game I'd like to think he is re-living his youth. I am fortunate to have this time, he lives near my family and I now, with his much younger wife to add. When I was 19 I left for the military and we never lived in the same state since, a long 25 years or so. I'd like to think I was the driving force of him getting back in the saddle, about three years ago we must have test rode every trike in two states. I always tested it first, giving me peace and mind that it was safe for him. After a hip and knee replacement this was our best bet. He's logged several miles since he bought the bike, even with couple of two week southern treks. Another big thrill he has accomplished is that we did Rolling Thunder together, I think he was in awe over the whole thing, he lived in D.C. as a young boy while his father (a mason) help build the Pentagon (it was a "wow" moment). So with all that said our temp has been wonderful here and we will most likely get some riding time in December and maybe a day in January. Lately I have despised the winter with the fear maybe we had our last ride...if so I will cherish our rides and miles we have logged together whenever the time comes. I must say my dad has been my best friend as he has always supported me regardless if I screwed up or made a great accomplishment. See my mom passed away when I was 11 years old and we always had a special bond since. I guess he's my hero! I can't wait to ride with my son who is 14...we want to do a trip like you.....and I have done and begin to create our own memories. Who knows, maybe we'll get to have a 3 generation trip. ? Thanks for letting me have this opportunity to say this.

Old 11-13-2010, 07:40 AM
wsteed
Advanced

Lambo....that is awesome. I just bought a Sporty last month, my son bought a "crotch rocket" couple of weeks later. We are just now beginning to get out and ride together. I am looking forward to the time we'll spend together.....thanks for sharing your story.

Old 11-13-2010, 08:01 AM
ButtMan1000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Last Ride with the family this year,

Late October, everyone home that weekend,

Great ride and great time,

Old 11-13-2010, 08:17 AM
Harleyrider_49
Road Master

Originally Posted by oct1949
For the last 4 day its been near 70, Unusual for IND.... and Ive put over 650 miles on the bike

But what I hate to think about is the for the next ten days it only going to be high of around 50 and low at night 30.

And thats just to get us ready for winter.

But on the high note the Son and I rode to Brown county (little Nashville IND) which is bout 100 miles south this past Wed...
it was a perfect day, 70 out and the leaves where just barley past there prime...

Still we had a great day, He took off work and we rode for almost seven hrs...

Its was the first time we rode the old 135 state rd south of highway 44 together... which it is really a great road,, lots of turns and hills....

Bottom line is anytime I get to spend with the Son is a great day..

The added bonus was and is when we get time to RIDE together.

Anybody else Get to spend the Maybe last ride/trip of the Yr with there LOVED ones.?????
Yep.....thats a great road to ride....that whole area's great....have made a big "circle" several times of the area....up 31 from my location to Columbus,then over to Nashville,from there to Bloomington, then on to F Lick,then out 150 to N Albany and back to the house....it's an all-day ride....glad to hear ya got to ride it w/ the young'n...(daughter, myself,she's 31 and nahh....she don't ride.....yet....)

Old 11-13-2010, 09:28 AM
TxCowboy
Road Captain

Originally Posted by ButtMan1000
Last Ride with the family this year,

I just love those tender family moments! </tears>

Old 11-13-2010, 12:30 PM
Denny69
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lambo
How about the other way around, I (son) rode yesterday with my dad. I like to get out as much as possible with him and just cruise. Dad is 78 and rides a wing trike, sometimes we go for a good days ride but we do little short stints mostly. He's an old timer who has ridden his 1950 Harley as a young man and I love to hear his war stories of his riding days. At this stage in the game I'd like to think he is re-living his youth. I am fortunate to have this time, he lives near my family and I now, with his much younger wife to add. When I was 19 I left for the military and we never lived in the same state since, a long 25 years or so. I'd like to think I was the driving force of him getting back in the saddle, about three years ago we must have test rode every trike in two states. I always tested it first, giving me peace and mind that it was safe for him. After a hip and knee replacement this was our best bet. He's logged several miles since he bought the bike, even with couple of two week southern treks. Another big thrill he has accomplished is that we did Rolling Thunder together, I think he was in awe over the whole thing, he lived in D.C. as a young boy while his father (a mason) help build the Pentagon (it was a "wow" moment). So with all that said our temp has been wonderful here and we will most likely get some riding time in December and maybe a day in January. Lately I have despised the winter with the fear maybe we had our last ride...if so I will cherish our rides and miles we have logged together whenever the time comes. I must say my dad has been my best friend as he has always supported me regardless if I screwed up or made a great accomplishment. See my mom passed away when I was 11 years old and we always had a special bond since. I guess he's my hero! I can't wait to ride with my son who is 14...we want to do a trip like you.....and I have done and begin to create our own memories. Who knows, maybe we'll get to have a 3 generation trip. ? Thanks for letting me have this opportunity to say this.
Awesome!!! One of my favorite posts.

Quick Reply: Last ride of the Year for Son and I together,!!!