General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why did you young guys buy a Harley?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 03:41 PM
dwyleecoyote
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Bought my 03 Heritage when I was 26, I am 33 now. It's my second bike. First was a 550 honda. I wanted a harley ever since I was about 13 or so- I was in my garage with a friend and we were re-building some ten speed bicycles from a garage sale, and this white haired old man came roaring down my driveway on a red 1990 lowrider. My buddy said ****- thats my dad- next thing I know my buddy is gettin hollered at for something or other by this crazy old man, but I was just staring at the bike- no one in my family rides, and I thought he was the coolest guy I had ever met. Learned and got experience on the Honda, and when it came time to buy a big bike, I didn't even look at anything else.

I got to ride with him a few times, but that white haired old man is gone. The 1990 lowrider still kicks some *** though.

Old 11-12-2010, 03:43 PM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by JaronB
I'm 29 and bought my 08 Street Bob for my 27th B-day. I grew up with a Harley in the Family and started riding my dads 90 FXR Superglide at 17 yrs old. I use to have an R6, but that only lasted a year, just wasn't for me. When I could afford a Harley I was going to get one, it's in my blood. I was fortunate enough to do it in my 20s.
You are fortunate.

I got my first bike, a Kawasaki Vulcan 800A at 34 and my Superglide at 36. I wish I would have just got the HOG right off the bat. Though I could save a few bucks and get "basically the same thing".

I was wrong. DEAD WRONG.

Bike is paid for....it's all mine, and I have since built 2 bikes from scratch...both sold off (rigid sporty bobber and a Honda CB550 Four Cafe racer).

The 'Glide stays for life. Buy the Harley. They are keepers.

~Joe

Last edited by traveler; 11-12-2010 at 03:45 PM.
Old 11-12-2010, 03:45 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 12,258 Likes on 4,784 Posts

Originally Posted by phrogflyer
didn't know there were any other motorcycles out there.
Kinda the way I feel. Someone else said that when asked what kind of bike he rides he likes to say "Harley". When someone asks me what I ride I say Springer. Never occurred to me to mention Harley. Just assume that they would know that. Guess it's a bit arrogant of me but.....OH WELL!

Old 11-12-2010, 04:11 PM
Brewers_Fan
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought my first Harley shortly before I turned 29 and I just turned 30 in August. Why? Well, why not? You spend close to the same amount (or more in some cases) for a metric cruiser and you'll lose your shirt on resale. If I had a heck of a lot more money I'd have a heck of a lot more bikes and (blasphemy!) they wouldn't all be Harleys. My hypothetical collection would include a Ducati or two, maybe an old Triumph or Norton and a sport bike for track days. Plus the six or seven Harleys I lust after.

Back to the original question...I bought a Harley because the Superglide was the bike I wanted. I love the looks, the sound (well I like it, I'll love it when I get my new pipes installed), the ride. It's not about brand loyalty or snobbery for me. I think, generally, Harley makes a better product than it's competitors as far as cruisers go. And okay, maybe a little snobbery and brand loyalty. Harley is an American icon after all.

Old 11-12-2010, 05:06 PM
Marshman
6th Gear

26 now and because the iron looks sexy!

Old 11-12-2010, 06:27 PM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by traveler
You are fortunate.

I got my first bike, a Kawasaki Vulcan 800A at 34 and my Superglide at 36. I wish I would have just got the HOG right off the bat. Though I could save a few bucks and get "basically the same thing".

I was wrong. DEAD WRONG.

Bike is paid for....it's all mine, and I have since built 2 bikes from scratch...both sold off (rigid sporty bobber and a Honda CB550 Four Cafe racer).

The 'Glide stays for life. Buy the Harley. They are keepers.

~Joe
Thanks!! Yea I wish mine was paid for...lol!! I paid more then I wanted too, but I couldn't walk away from the Reaper paint job. I figured what the hell, it's never leaving me and I'll never get rid of it. 1st Harley is staying with me forever. Everything after is play, hopefully just keep adding to the stable.

Old 11-12-2010, 06:52 PM
redbone62
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by phrogflyer
didn't know there were any other motorcycles out there.
i second that!!

Old 11-12-2010, 06:57 PM
harley_rob
Cruiser

I bought mine when I was 25. Took my son, wife, MIL and FIL to Myrtle Beach for Mothers Day. Turned out to be bike week at the same time. FIL brought me one to ride for the week, and I got the bug pretty hard. Bought one a month later.

Old 11-12-2010, 07:09 PM
PowerFactor
Road Master

Wanted one since I was 8. Soon as I had my license, the rest was history. Plus, had a bagger since I was in my late 20s (not far off that now).

Old 11-12-2010, 11:58 PM
djyoung214
Advanced
Default Became a different type of rider.

Got my first Harley at 31... 34 now. That still constitutes as young right?
Started out with crotch rockets, then moved to naked bikes.
Was riding a BMW K1200R then got my 883R just to try it out but ended up a bit disappointed actually. It's a good bike and all, but when you come off a KR and get on a 883R, you're thinking... "What???"
Then little parts start rusting and you're like WTH???
Then got back to just riding Beamers and a switch flipped...
I wanted to ride just to ride at reasonable speeds with the V-Twin thumping along.
I think it was after I had kids... lol Kinda started getting out of the whole "speed" thing and wanted to enjoy the ride a bit more.

Good decision though.

Riding a Street Bob.

Attached Thumbnails Why did you young guys buy a Harley?-img_6911.jpg  

Quick Reply: Why did you young guys buy a Harley?