General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why did you young guys buy a Harley?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 02:21 PM
NVP
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, why the Harley brand, though? Many of you talked about why you got a bike and others you considered, but what is it about Harley that made it the best fit for you?

Old 11-12-2010, 02:38 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,572 Likes on 2,890 Posts

As a mechanic when you look at a harley it is fairly straight forward: engine, trans, oil bag, fuel tank. Nothing is really hidden and covered up by plastic covers and the frame is nice and solid. And the power to cc's for an air cooled engine is pretty good too. And sooo many custom parts to make it a very personalised bike.

Old 11-12-2010, 03:10 PM
MilsurpShooter
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 17,842 Likes on 6,376 Posts

Originally Posted by NVP
So, why the Harley brand, though? Many of you talked about why you got a bike and others you considered, but what is it about Harley that made it the best fit for you?
Because... Well.. Because... It's a HARLEY! lol j/k To be honest I looked around at some of the Suzuki/Yamaha Harley look a-likes. Liked the V-star a lot and was real close to buying that until I saw the Crossbones. I'm a big history buff, love the older stuff. When purchasing my first car I was leaning toward an old 63 Cadillac lol. Saw the crossbones and it reminded me so much of an old school 40's and 50's era bike. None of the Suzuki, Yamaha brands had anything even close to what it looked like.

Figured I'd never get my hands on an old 42 WLA or WXA so why not get something new that resembles it at least a little bit?

Old 11-12-2010, 03:12 PM
leanhog
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by NVP
To make people ask silly questions of course.

Old 11-12-2010, 03:17 PM
RussianMonk
Tourer

Well got my first bike 81XLH 1200 when I was 19. Then this year around my 20th birthday I bought an 07 nightster, which I love.

To me it seemed like harleys were geared more towards cruising. I also love the way they sound......still get excited every time I start mine. Everyone always told me to get a honda or something for my first bike. I figured I really wanted a harley so why not buy one right off the bat. Also when someone asks me what kind of bike I have, theres just something about being able to say harley......

Additionally when I first told my parents I wanted a motorcycle (around 17), I told them I wanted a crotch rocket. They got angry because they heard of to many stories ending badly with them.

Also my family has been riding harleys for years. So I guess I thought that if they have been riding them for this long, there must be something good about them

Last but not least they just seem like the all American bike

Hope this answers your question

Old 11-12-2010, 03:17 PM
JC650
Road Captain

First bike at 22 was a Softail Standard. Next was a Fatboy and the an Electra Glide that I bought at 29, Im 33 now. My good friends family were all into Harleys for a long time so I pretty much grew up around them. They just seem like the right bike for me.

Old 11-12-2010, 03:21 PM
beaureed445
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I got bit by the Harley "bug" when I was 17 or 18. I just knew that I wanted one....but I waited until I was 23 to finally get one. It was Oct '02, and the 2003 models were on the floor. My 1st ride was a 2003 XL883C.

Old 11-12-2010, 03:21 PM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

When you buy any other make, you buy a bike, and that's it.

When you buy a Harley, you join a family. The purchase is just the beginning.

It's tradition. Every Harley made can be traced back to 1903....it's a slow evolution.

Timeless design....time tested and proven. When it comes to cruising, 100+ years of development resutls in a unique and second to none riding experience.

When it comes to CRUISERS....Harley-Davidson is the king.

Buy one and you'll be miles ahead. If you try to save a buck and get the "same thing"...you will go down the road MANY of us did (like me), and find yourself back at Harley with a real depreciation when you go to sell or trade in your metric bike.

~Joe

Last edited by traveler; 11-12-2010 at 03:24 PM.
Old 11-12-2010, 03:30 PM
phrogflyer
Road Master

didn't know there were any other motorcycles out there.

Old 11-12-2010, 03:34 PM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm 29 and bought my 08 Street Bob for my 27th B-day. I grew up with a Harley in the Family and started riding my dads 90 FXR Superglide at 17 yrs old. I use to have an R6, but that only lasted a year, just wasn't for me. When I could afford a Harley I was going to get one, it's in my blood. I was fortunate enough to do it in my 20s.

Quick Reply: Why did you young guys buy a Harley?