General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No more riding to work until it calms down...

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 03:30 PM
Bluerose
Default No more riding to work until it calms down...

Since Labor Day the piddly 18 miles I ride/drive to work on the freeway has turned into a mad house. The first day I went to work after vacation the freeway was light so I thought "Woo Hoo I'll ride to work a few days this week!"...smoke has been bad from the wild fires so I decided not to ride the next day...good thing I didn't.

In the 4 days I have driven to work this week I have been almost killed at least 3 times (once by a guy that wanted to be in my lane while I was being tailgated by a huge SUV who actually honked at me for slowing a swerving to avoid being hit), and cutoff by some mad person about once every mile or 2.

Tuesday I saw quite a few bikes but I haven't many since I think more people are getting the same idea I am...It's just too dangerous out there to be on a bike. This morning there were 5 accidents involving motorcyles on the traffic report (I usually hear about 1 a week maybe..which for L.A. is not so bad considering the number of people), 2 of them were fatal.

Am I being a whimp??? I don't think so....how can I enjoy my bike if I'm dead? I was hoping to get some more riding to work in before the time changes, looks like it might not happen.....sigh.

Old 09-21-2006, 03:34 PM
KeithB
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: No more riding to work until it calms down...

nope, your smart, live to ride another day

Old 09-21-2006, 03:39 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I used to be a motorcycle messenger in Los Angeles for about 10 years. I had that happen to me all the time too. Eventually I got relatively used to it. I learned to stay on my toes as well and steer ahead. The tailgating issue still gets me real bad. It is always someone in a HUGE suv. I just get outta their way like you were doing. I learned to not take any of the traffic personally after a while. People are just like a bunch of rats in a maze while in their cars. Thats the way it is. Always has been, and always will be. Some days no problems, some days problems. We live in a huge city. The fires are another issue altogether. I'm not too close to them so i don't think about it, but breathing all that smoke is nasty. Especially when it is direct as opposed to through your air vents.

Old 09-21-2006, 03:40 PM
ClinesSelect
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd love to ride to work every day but not with these idiot cagers. I barely feel safe in my truck.

Old 09-21-2006, 04:12 PM
dogtownmax
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Bluerose

Since Labor Day the piddly 18 miles I ride/drive to work on the freeway has turned into a mad house. The first day I went to work after vacation the freeway was light so I thought "Woo Hoo I'll ride to work a few days this week!"...smoke has been bad from the wild fires so I decided not to ride the next day...good thing I didn't.

In the 4 days I have driven to work this week I have been almost killed at least 3 times (once by a guy that wanted to be in my lane while I was being tailgated by a huge SUV who actually honked at me for slowing a swerving to avoid being hit), and cutoff by some mad person about once every mile or 2.

Tuesday I saw quite a few bikes but I haven't many since I think more people are getting the same idea I am...It's just too dangerous out there to be on a bike. This morning there were 5 accidents involving motorcyles on the traffic report (I usually hear about 1 a week maybe..which for L.A. is not so bad considering the number of people), 2 of them were fatal.

Am I being a whimp??? I don't think so....how can I enjoy my bike if I'm dead? I was hoping to get some more riding to work in before the time changes, looks like it might not happen.....sigh.
its good to be aware of your own mental state, and know when you just dont have the perspective needed to ride on any given day. its also good to know when there are external conditions that make riding more dangerous than usual (like flooded roads, smoke producing fires, ice.). you may be on to something though as you report more motorcycle fatailties and accidents on the traffic report.

mostly though, the riding conditions in southern california (where you are if im not mistaken) are pretty stable, which mostly eliminates the external factors. I lived and rode there, so im speaking from experience. no ice, and little rain factor out most of the external stuff. bad drivers are a constant.

a question for you though: when you were being tailgated by the suv, should you have let him pass, or were you keeping up with the traffic ahead of you (obviously while maintaining a _reasonable_ following distance)? i ask because you mentioned getting in some riding before the time change, which in souther california doesnt mean much, so i wonder if your growing apprehension may reflect an awareness of the skills needed to have a chance at staying alive in commute traffic.

Old 09-21-2006, 04:16 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,232 Likes on 1,846 Posts

I ride the lovely VT roads to work whenever it isn't raining Not much traffic. Although I live so damn close it is only two miles and takes about 5 minutes.[][:'(]

Old 09-21-2006, 04:16 PM
dogtownmax
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: ClinesSelect

I'd love to ride to work every day but not with these idiot cagers. I barely feel safe in my truck.
yeah, it sure as heck isnt for everyone. for me, its the opposite, i cant stand sitting in traffic, so i will generally happily take the trade off in comfort to be able to split lanes and park easily. when im riding in the rain in traffic though, even i have to wonder what im doing. its a life i guess. being on the bike makes me happy, even when traffic annoys me.

Old 09-21-2006, 04:32 PM
DMSC
Road Master

I get asked by non-riders (some times by riders who don't ride every day) all the time HOW I ride in the dowtown area.

I tell 'em "Yeah, it IS dangerous!". Not going to stop riding, however!

Invisible...Invisble...Invisible...[&:]

Old 09-21-2006, 04:46 PM
zukeeper
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Whats traffic ?? the nearest road around here that has more than two lanes is over 45 minutes away if you hammer down. Course no traffic goes hand in hand with no pay LOL

Old 09-21-2006, 04:49 PM
DMSC
Road Master

ORIGINAL: zukeeper

Whats traffic ?? the nearest road around here that has more than two lanes is over 45 minutes away if you hammer down. Course no traffic goes hand in hand with no pay LOL
I guess everything has a down side...[&:]

Quick Reply: No more riding to work until it calms down...