General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No more riding to work until it calms down...

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 04:50 PM
oldfartjc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: No more riding to work until it calms down...

ORIGINAL: zukeeper

Whats traffic ?? the nearest road around here that has more than two lanes is over 45 minutes away if you hammer down. Course no traffic goes hand in hand with no pay LOL
So where do you live as your secret profile says nothing?

Old 09-21-2006, 05:11 PM
Bluerose

ORIGINAL: dogtownmax

a question for you though: when you were being tailgated by the suv, should you have let him pass, or were you keeping up with the traffic ahead of you (obviously while maintaining a _reasonable_ following distance)? i ask because you mentioned getting in some riding before the time change, which in souther california doesnt mean much, so i wonder if your growing apprehension may reflect an awareness of the skills needed to have a chance at staying alive in commute traffic.
Actually I was in my cage doing about 5 mph over the speed limit on a surface street and boxed in, there was no place for me to "let him pass". My cage is definately big enough not to be invisible. The big suburban, or what ever it was, was about 5 feet off my rear bumper, there was a car about a car length ahead of me (I always give room even in my cage). The toyota truck beside me got tired of following the car in front of him and thought my lane was the lane he wanted to be in so he started to move into my lane at my right front fender. I swerved and hit the brakes slightly (did not slam them) to give him room. He suddenly realized I was there and swerved back into his lane....The truck behind me gave me a rash of road rage for slowing down in his path.

This is the worst street I drive on in the morning....people go way too fast to a blind light. I have already been rear-ended once at that light (yes I was stopped...I was an adequate distance from the car in front of me that I did not hit it)

I realize this is all typical....I have lived in So. CA for 25 + years. Every year at Labor Day I have to shift my driving schedule by leaving at least 10 minutes earlier or more to account for the heavier traffic. I just don't see a reason to get on the freeway and put myself in that situation when I don't have too. I've gotten to the point where I just hate freeways and go around when I can (I drove to Hollywood daily for many many years), for my last job I didn't have to use them and loved it.

With the exception of getting rear-ended this year I had not had an accident for over 20 years and no tickets for over 15 years. I'm no speed demon while driving but I know to stay at the speed of traffic.

As far as getting riding in before the time change....it's simply a preference. I ride because I enjoy it not because I have too. Just don't think stressing myself out is worth it.

Old 09-21-2006, 05:22 PM
firemankrug
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Bluerose
Am I being a whimp??? I don't think so....how can I enjoy my bike if I'm dead? I was hoping to get some more riding to work in before the time changes, looks like it might not happen.....sigh.

I don't think your being a whimp, you've got to go with your gut feelings. If you aren't enjoying the ride whats the point. Don't feel to bad, my riding to work days are numbered this year, the snow will be falling here in Salt Lake real soon. Winter SUCKS!

Old 09-21-2006, 05:37 PM
ClinesSelect
Tourer

ORIGINAL: dogtownmax

ORIGINAL: ClinesSelect

I'd love to ride to work every day but not with these idiot cagers. I barely feel safe in my truck.
yeah, it sure as heck isnt for everyone. for me, its the opposite, i cant stand sitting in traffic, so i will generally happily take the trade off in comfort to be able to split lanes and park easily. when im riding in the rain in traffic though, even i have to wonder what im doing. its a life i guess. being on the bike makes me happy, even when traffic annoys me.

We rented a bike and road through Oakland and San Fran during rush hour a few weeks ago. It wasn't too bad on the 880.

There isn't a freeway between my house and my work, unless I want to go way out of my way, so its all crowded surface streets.

Old 09-21-2006, 06:23 PM
chops
Tourer

On my way into work this morning on the Freeway (Fort Lauderdale FL area), I happened to snag on a frayed piece of polyester rope that was blowing like a tumbleweed across 3 lanes, but the rope was at least 30 feet long...

When I ran over it I looked in my rear view and couldn't see it, turned around and there it was whipping around like a wedding veil train at 85 mph. I'm sure that got a few laughs this morning and probably on the internet somewhere.

I managed to get off on the side and it was snagged on the jiffy stand spring.

I wasn't off the road two minutes and a sport tourer had pulled off 50 yards in front to see if I needed help. I was quickly back on the road and gave him a thumbs up.

Old 09-21-2006, 06:37 PM
cjmilez
Ultimate HDF Member

My roommate feels the same way Bev, when she first got her bike, she was so excited about riding her bike to work (about 45 min ride). Last week, she got in and stormed through the door and said that was her last trip on the bike as far as driving to work. She has 3 people pull out in front of her, one guy behind her hit the brakes and skidded about two ft away from her, and another person try to pass a car on a two lane highway with her coming in the opposite direction. She was WORN OUT!!! [] She felt like she was at war with all the cagers...looking right, glancing left, darting here, braking there... She said she is going to stick with driving the cage to work....less stressful! Sad to say, but it is a war with the cagers out there...everyone's in a hurry. [:@]

Old 09-21-2006, 06:41 PM
grunt
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hear ya on the frustration. It seems every day a moron is found in your path. I am using mine every day for work, but there are days I just want to bring the Glock and go on a killing spree of epic proportions.

Old 09-21-2006, 06:59 PM
bikergirl40
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

When you're out there on a day to day basis...don't sweat it! You have to have a level of comfort to do this safely. If you're tense because you feel your are really pushing your luck, then find an alternative. You're using common sense, girlfriend! Good for you!

Old 09-21-2006, 07:14 PM
zukeeper
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: oldfartjc

ORIGINAL: zukeeper

Whats traffic ?? the nearest road around here that has more than two lanes is over 45 minutes away if you hammer down. Course no traffic goes hand in hand with no pay LOL
So where do you live as your secret profile says nothing?
southern IL

Old 09-21-2006, 09:31 PM
Hiram
Road Captain

Being able to ride to work is one of the reasons I don't mind (too much) having to be to work at 5:30 AM. Less idiots on the road. Don't get off until 7:30PM so lite traffic then too. FNG's start this week and next so hours will go down to normal just in time for the everyday riding season to end. Then it's catch as catch can, but I still absolutely refuse to get on the freeway at rush hour, AM or PM.

Quick Reply: No more riding to work until it calms down...