Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What does it mean "Harleys have soul"?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 12:30 PM
c50plus
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 3 Posts

frog13, excellent disertation! That is perfect retotic for describing how a harley has soul.

Old 11-12-2010, 12:37 PM
G20
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by sargek
Well, for me it means it's a machine with a personality: it vibrates, is a bit of rolling nostalgia because of the company's age, and has remained relatively unchanged in terms of basic engine design for around 100 years. It sounds, looks and feels like a motorcycle should: rumbles, shakes, etc.

I can't put my finger on it and that's probably why someone came up with the saying: "If I have to explain, you wouldn't understand."
Exactly! I do think some of the imported bikes are more efficient in ways than HD, but they don't make me feel alive when I've ridden them. I would rather have a bike with personality or "soul" than mass produced perfection.

Old 11-12-2010, 12:37 PM
sargek
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Frog13 - understand completely and very well said - you explained the original question with a example that I really understood. Not sure if anyone else does this, but who else pats the tank on their bike while riding, like you'd pat your dog's head? I do, wierd though it may be, and I always say "thanks baby", meaning I guess, thanks for running sweet and getting me to where I need to go.

Old 11-12-2010, 12:48 PM
mnskip
Tourer

Originally Posted by Scratt
The first part of sargek's post explains it, but I'll add to it.
It shakes, rattles, you can feel the sound of the pipes through the bike and that makes it feel alive or with a soul.

How's that?
I like the shirt you have in the pic. LMAO when I seen it. As far as soul, I never understand people who complain about the ride and vibration of there bike. I'll fix what ever needs fixing, but if it didn't shake and rattle I would wonder what was wrong with it. I do believe my 08 will be my last. And yes, I like the way it shakes at a stop light, rides a little rough, and makes a little noise, but thats soul, and it makes me smile every time I ride it.

Old 11-12-2010, 12:56 PM
flyer91
Tourer

The hell with soul ..... I wish it had **** ..........

Old 11-12-2010, 12:58 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 660 Likes on 410 Posts

Soul is a subjective call. I think it's reflected in the style and sound of a Harley.

Jap clone bikes have no soul. These asian atrocities with their bolt-on cooling fins and plastic chrome pale in comparison to Milwaukee's finest.

Old 11-12-2010, 01:07 PM
pargenz
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by flyer91
The hell with soul ..... I wish it had **** ..........
They're in the latest catalog, pn T1T$-44DD, and I heard that Drag Spec will have a set in the fatbook soon...

Old 11-12-2010, 01:08 PM
apolo07
Intermediate

A Harley is like a Corvette, an American icon. If you don't own one you dream of ownership. I have both, what a lucky man i am.

Old 11-12-2010, 01:31 PM
c50plus
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 3 Posts

Awesome responses! Now I understand better why I feel the way i do when i ride my harley

Old 11-12-2010, 01:41 PM
ZZZCICI
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With the metrics it is more like the ZEN, they have personality. Fun to ride and a unique experience. Each type with its own personality, beit a crotch rocket or a heavy cruiser. But, no real soul.

After spending many hours at a time of riding the Harley it was an experience that I could feel. It offered an intensified more visceral endeavor. It was intrinsic, the experience integrated all the senses and emotions. It induced a thirst to be a part of the machine itself.
It speaks to to the rider in a way the rider can feel. The sound, the look, the feel, is so profound that it is absorbed into the body and mind.
You are not "One with the machine" , alas , You are the MACHINE, one heart beat , each ones energy absorbed by the other....
Then it is said, this thing has soul. Like a good blues tune, it can be felt.

uh, if you can understand then i've explained (I think)....

Quick Reply: What does it mean "Harleys have soul"?