General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What does it mean "Harleys have soul"?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 02:16 PM
lownslow
Road Master
Received 111 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by BugDr
I'm in, start the pool. Maybe he should get up offa that thing and try a little soul.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pq1w0...eature=related
OK , not meaning to hijack but if you move the James Brown video to the top, push play and look at twizted bikers avatar, it looks like the dog is groovin to the music...........ROTFLMAO!

Sorry, you need to go back to the original posting.........Page 10

Last edited by lownslow; 11-14-2010 at 02:19 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 11-14-2010, 02:43 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,985 Likes on 17,897 Posts

Originally Posted by lownslow
OK , not meaning to hijack but if you move the James Brown video to the top, push play and look at twizted bikers avatar, it looks like the dog is groovin to the music...........ROTFLMAO!

Sorry, you need to go back to the original posting.........Page 10

Now that's funny I'm going to be giggling all afternoon now .

I'm sorry I had to do it ........ https://www.hdforums.com/forum/gener...different.html

Last edited by TwiZted Biker; 11-14-2010 at 02:56 PM.
Old 11-14-2010, 03:08 PM
TBayKatrina
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The term comes from (I believe) the connection the owner has with the bike. It can be used for any vehicle (often owners of cars say the same thing).

I recommend you want the film "love the Beast" with Eric Bana...as it speaks to this subject. In the film they explain that when a machine does something so atypical (such as it is in perfect running order but still won't start or runs rough) there is no rationale to explain it other than the machine's soul has taken over...that it 'behaving' out of its own personality... its soul.

It's why we love our machines...because they aren't just steel and chrome...they are alive!

Old 11-14-2010, 03:31 PM
MADDOG187
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not sure what soul means , ive had a fair few bikes , some great , some **** , some i loved and was really gutted to sell , others i couldnt wait to get shot of and smiled like a kid in a toy shop when someone gave me money for them , but i do think some bikes have something over others , i had a KMX125 about 27 years ago that was great(1st new bike) , an XT350 that served me better than any bike has a right to(just a fantastic machine) and a triumph tiger 900 about 15 years ago ( made me feel fantastic when i rode it) , ive also got a HD nightster at the moment that is growing on me the more i get used to it , i think these bikes to me have caracter , not really soul, but they some how change the way you feel , sometimes just by looking at them like the nightster or because they become a trusted friend like my XT350 , but i think all bikes mean different things to different people , most people on here love harleys so they get it from them , me i love most makes of bike , exept Hondas , there are loads that would float my boat if i had the money..

Old 11-14-2010, 04:15 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,650 Likes on 2,536 Posts

When you enjoy looking at it, working on it, listening to it,and cleaning/polishing it, and generally reveling in the lifestyle that comes with it, as much as you do riding it--then it has soul!

Old 11-14-2010, 05:08 PM
warrconn
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It's kinda like, when you're on the road, you can eat at McDonald's every day. It will always be consistent, you know what to expect at every McDonald's. When you eat burgers and fries at a different diner or greasy spoon, it's always going to be a bit different...every time. A crappy analogy, I know, but every Harley I've had has had a different personality. No two the same,really. Japenese bikes used to be called appliances. They did the job and did it well, but were totally predictable and similar. Do you ever sit back and look at your bike and think "I love this thing"...most Harley owners do, I think.

Old 11-14-2010, 05:33 PM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm sure there are plenty of good answers on this thread, but I really think this is one of those "IF YOU HAVE TO ASK..." situations.