Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

battery tenders ????

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 10:45 PM
shovel13
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been using the battery minder for about 10 years and have had no problems and it can charge two at a time in series.

Old 11-12-2010, 11:29 PM
LebanonRider
Advanced
Question

Originally Posted by shovel13
I've been using the battery minder for about 10 years and have had no problems and it can charge two at a time in series.
Do you really mean "in series" or did you mean in parallel? Two batteries in series would produce 24 volts and all these tenders are rated for 12 volt batteries. By saying "in parallel" I mean that the tender is hooked to battery 1 negative and positive and then you jumper battery 1 negative terminal to battery 2's negative terminal and likewise with the positive terminals. A series connection would be tender to battery 1 negative, battery 1 positive to battery 2 negative, battery 2 positive to tender.

Old 11-13-2010, 12:05 AM
shovel13
Cruiser

good catch, it would be in parallel.

Old 11-13-2010, 12:12 AM
Tech23
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes...good catch LebanonRider. I think I was the first to make that mistake, Thanks, I edited my post.

Tech23

Old 11-13-2010, 01:28 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Amazing what U can find on the net.....and all U have to do is type it in....

Old 11-13-2010, 02:07 AM
2whlr4life
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,642 Likes on 1,499 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by Morris9982
Keep in mind that you can buy extensions to lengthen the wires that go from the charger to the bike. I'm pretty sure my HD dealer keeps 12' and 25' ones in stock. There may be other lengths available or you could piggy back them.

That way you could keep all your chargers in one place and just run wires to the bikes.

That's what I do too. I've had a Battery Tender jr. for years. I just drag the 25' extension around and plug it in for a while until the light turns green. I'll leave it on for an hour or so, then move to the next bike. Simple.

Old 11-13-2010, 05:11 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Everything I own with a battery has a Tender plugged to it,have for the last 10 or more years,the only way to go.

Old 11-13-2010, 06:04 AM
xkvator
Tourer

DELTRAN...

great customer svs. - great warranty(never had to use it)

i have Deltran Plus on my equipment batteries...and the 800's on bikes...

the 800 is similar to the Jr...but waterproof, and you can use them on larger batteries, which you cant use the Jr, if theyre really discharged(call cust svs. for more details on that)

look for deals on ebay...

Old 11-13-2010, 09:12 AM
1hellbent
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Tech23
The harbor freight tender states it is not for use with AGM battery's. Read the fine print. Not sure if this will surface as an issue or not, but why make the disclaimer in the description? Absorbed Glass Mat battery's are not lead/acid battery's.

http://www.harborfreight.com/automat...ger-42292.html

Whew...those multi tenders are PRICEY. I wonder if you could get away with jumper wires in parallel (positive to positive - negative to negative) to another battery from a single tender. Reduced amperage won't hurt a battery, just take longer to get to a full state of charge. Once it gets to the float phase of operation what difference does it make...especially for winter storage?
AGM batteries and Gel batteries are lead-acid systems, just as the traditional wet cell batteries are. The AGM and Gel batteries are a calcium lead alloy, sometimes with a small percentage of tin. Whereas the traditional wet cell battery is of the antimony lead alloy. But they are all lead-acid systems.

Back in the 80's, both the AGM and Gel battery industries developed specific charging algorithms that were more sophisticated than what’s required for the wet cell battery. It took some time, but battery charger manufacturers slowly started producing chargers with these more sophisticated algorithms.

If the charger's documentation states that it's not for use with AGM and Gel batteries, it's probably because it lacks some of the more sophisticated circuitry to do so. Will it charge them any way? The answer is probably yes. But if you want to maintain the battery correctly and get the longest life possible, go with a charging system that is designed for the AGM/Gel technology.

For the long term, I would be leery of a cheap off brand charger. I was in the Gel battery industry some years ago, we seen a lot returns from overcharging as a result of chargers that were not designed for the product.

Hope this helps.

Old 11-16-2010, 11:42 AM
skdvr
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is using the extensions for the tender any better than using an extension cord?

Phil

Quick Reply: battery tenders ????