Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

battery tenders ????

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 12:56 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

I side w/Morris9982 - Deltran (Battery Tender) makes HD's units and multi-bank would be best for your situation. Been using HD's for couple of seasons w/no problems.

Old 11-12-2010, 12:57 PM
BB4xl
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have used a Battery tender since 89. Have the same one. JP cycle has some that do mutiple batteries ,but they is pricey. I think you would be better off just buying one for each bike. I would look at the Schumacher that Inspector 12 recomended. Batteries do last longer if charged. Tenders no matter who makes them do not overcharge and cook the battery.
http://www.jpcycles.com/battery-tender

Old 11-12-2010, 01:01 PM
obonaven
Road Master

Originally Posted by Inspector 12
Walmart is selling a Schumacher brand tender for $20
I have this and I'm very happy with it.

Old 11-12-2010, 02:38 PM
Morris9982
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One thing to keep in mind the older Deltran Battery Tenders are not designed for use with the newer AGM batteries as someone else mentioned. I've read their technical sheets on their web site and it has something to do with the float time between the initial charge and switching over to the maintenance mode.

I have one of the original ones and it just switches from red to green. I use this one on a car. I have one of the newer ones on my bike and it has a three stage charge cycle, solid red, flashing green, and solid green.

If I had four bikes or cars to maintain I think I'd get one of the Battery Tender Plus models or the Schumacher one for each vehicle. It would end up costing you less.

Old 11-12-2010, 03:49 PM
seph10
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a sears automotive battery charger that will shut down to trickle charge after full charge,,I made an adaptor that fits the charge plug on my ultra,,,if it sits for a long period of time I hook it up,,,switch it to 2 amps and let it run for a day or two,,,works great and i don't see any reason it wouldn't work on several batteries ant one time...

Old 11-12-2010, 06:42 PM
larry harding
Advanced
Default battery tenders

whew!!! i may be more confused than ever.. i may buy several of the smaller ones (+/_$8.00) or one of the multiple battery jobs. several of the cheapies would be easier to reach different bikes, if i put more outlets in the unheated building where i keep the bikes, or one of the multi's with lots of jumpers. i will have to dom some shopinmg before i decide. thanks.

Old 11-12-2010, 08:07 PM
Morris9982
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Keep in mind that you can buy extensions to lengthen the wires that go from the charger to the bike. I'm pretty sure my HD dealer keeps 12' and 25' ones in stock. There may be other lengths available or you could piggy back them.

That way you could keep all your chargers in one place and just run wires to the bikes.

Old 11-12-2010, 08:29 PM
klaybus
Stellar HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Battery Tender Jr. here too. It's been 2 years of trouble free battery maintenance for me!

Old 11-12-2010, 08:29 PM
lohawg
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

One option you may have is to buy 2 tenders and just move them around the different bikes every 7-10 days. They will hold a good charge for that long if the batteries aren't too beat already.

Old 11-12-2010, 08:41 PM
2kids3pets
Elite HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Tech23
The harbor freight tender states it is not for use with AGM battery's. Read the fine print. Not sure if this will surface as an issue or not, but why make the disclaimer in the description? Absorbed Glass Mat battery's are not lead/acid battery's.

http://www.harborfreight.com/automat...ger-42292.html

Whew...those multi tenders are PRICEY. I wonder if you could get away with jumper wires in series to another battery from a single tender. Reduced amperage won't hurt a battery, just take longer to get to a full state of charge. Once it gets to the float phase of operation what difference does it make...especially for winter storage?

I use a HF one on my PWC battery (wet cell) and a BT Jr on my bikes AGM

Quick Reply: battery tenders ????