General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bringing a motorcycle into Calif.

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 06:44 PM
mrsr71
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bringing a motorcycle into Calif.

Before I wait in line with all of the “aliens” at the local DMV office, I thought I’d ask here first.

Background: I purchased a Road King brand new off-the-floor at Lancaster H-D in 1996. I did this for a close friend who lives in the Atlanta area. He was picky about the color (light blue) and couldn’t find one on the east coast. He rented an enclosed trailer and came to Kali to pick it up. He returned to Atlanta, re-registered it, and put 10K miles on it and parked it. His current heath conditions limit his riding abilities so he’s decided to sell me the bike real cheap. Its bone stock, and in MINT condition (1st year of the FI model.)

I’ve done some research and found a motorcycle shipper who will transport the bike, door to door, for $750. For what he’s asking, with the shipping cost included, I can’t turn it down.

So now the question: Does anyone know how the DMV fees are structured for brining a motorcycle into the wonderful state of Calif, keeping in-mind that it originally sold here new, i.e., had all of the smog cr*p from the factory?

Thanks….

Old 11-11-2010, 06:54 PM
NickD
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

As long as there's over 7500 hundreds miles on it you're fine. I don't think "where" it was sold means anything. It'll be a first time California registration on a used bike so the above mileage rule would apply. There is also a light and numbers check (frame, motor, and transmission) when you build a bike and register it here for the first time, and that might, or might not, apply to you.

Old 11-11-2010, 06:58 PM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by NickD
As long as there's over 7500 hundreds miles on it you're fine. I don't think "where" it was sold means anything. It'll be a first time California registration on a used bike so the above mileage rule would apply. There is also a light and numbers check (frame, motor, and transmission) when you build a bike and register it here for the first time, and that might, or might not, apply to you.

The 7500 mile rule should not apply since the vin# should show it was manufactured for California.

Old 11-11-2010, 06:58 PM
FlamedFXR
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,618 Likes on 679 Posts

As long as it has at least 7500 miles on it its business as usual. Just make sure he signs the odometer statement on the pink slip and you pay the sales tax when you register it here. I did the same thing on a Cali bike that was traded in in Oregon. DMV may want to look at the VIN if it was never registered in CA.

Old 11-11-2010, 08:02 PM
wideglidebob
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

all above are correct

Old 11-11-2010, 08:08 PM
Denny69
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your seller agrees, you can also say it was a "gift".

Old 11-11-2010, 08:15 PM
1hellbent
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PistonPuller
The 7500 mile rule should not apply since the vin# should show it was manufactured for California.
I think this may be right..... But nothin would surprise me cause it's the DMV and a broke Kalifornia. Bastards are lookin for money in every crevice, don't bend over!

Old 11-11-2010, 08:16 PM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Denny69
If your seller agrees, you can also say it was a "gift".
And there would be no tax if i'm correct.

Old 11-11-2010, 08:19 PM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A gift would raise too much suspicion. Nobody just gives away 10k motorcycles unless it's to a family member or something. I would however agree to a huge discounted bill of sale

Old 11-11-2010, 09:33 PM
WindowMan
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Gift tax I think is higher, its an old bike I think you bought it for what, say about 2500.00

Quick Reply: Bringing a motorcycle into Calif.