General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seat wiggles.

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 12:48 PM
tbone52
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seat wiggles.

Does your bike seat wiggle freely back and forth and, if it does, is this normal. I had the Tallboy seat put on and I never noticed until now that the seat freely wiggles left to right or a better description would be it rocks back and forth to each side. Is there some way to tighten this up if it is not supposed to do this? I checked the bolt in the rear on the fender and it is tight. Thanks in advance for the help.

Mike

Old 09-21-2006, 01:56 PM
stafford
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Seat wiggles.

take it off and look at it. I'm sure you'll see the problem and be able to fix it pretty easily

Old 09-21-2006, 02:25 PM
KeithB
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the front tab is prolly not under the tank in the pocket where it belongs

Old 09-21-2006, 03:32 PM
Punky Brewster
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Yea,take it off & have a look see.This is not normal for sure

Old 09-21-2006, 03:50 PM
oldfartjc
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: tbone52

Does your bike seat wiggle freely back and forth and, if it does, is this normal. I had the Tallboy seat put on and I never noticed until now that the seat freely wiggles left to right or a better description would be it rocks back and forth to each side. Is there some way to tighten this up if it is not supposed to do this? I checked the bolt in the rear on the fender and it is tight. Thanks in advance for the help.

Mike
Only your wife or your girlfriends seat should wiggle.

Old 09-21-2006, 04:00 PM
sleepneagle
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

check the front tab that slips in the frame slot by the tank.

to install: have seat tilted nose down and slip tab into slot, then push forward until rear seat bolt hole lines up. If corectly done and seat still wiggles. Remove seat again and with crescent wrench or adjustable pliers grab the front of the tab and bend sliightly towards the seat pan. reinstall following procedure.

Old 09-21-2006, 09:15 PM
tbone52
Road Warrior

Hey, thanks Sleepneagle and others. I will try to look at that and give a report of what I find. I looked at the seat after removing the rear mounting bolt and it looks like that strap hookup is going to be a bear. I believe I will tackle that tomorrow. Do you all keep those straps on your seats? I can't imagine what they would be good for. How on earth is someone going to have a secure hold on that thing with their hands in such a position so close to their body? I might leave it off unless it is part of what makes the seat more solidly mounted.

Old 09-21-2006, 11:57 PM
Hog_fever
Road Captain

My seat rocks slightly from side to side. Checked a like model at the dealer, same thing. With only a tab under the tank and a screw in the fender you can expect a little wobble. When sitting on the bike it is very stable. Dont know about your bike, but the strap on my seat is bolted to the fender. To remove seat, remove screw at rear of seat, pull seat backwards and pull out from strap. Hope this helps.

Old 09-22-2006, 12:09 AM
tbone52
Road Warrior

Hog,

I went ahead and removed the rear screw on the seat but the seat (Tallboy) was too wide to slip out of the strap. I think I can lift the seat enough to get an open end wrench on the nut that holds the strap on underneath the seat. The seat is solid when sitting on it but I just didn't know if it was supposed to rock back and forth like that.

Thanks,
Mike

Old 09-22-2006, 12:12 AM
zombie
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Bud's 1200R had the same problem...checked out under the seat and found it cracked. Definitely not normal.

Quick Reply: Seat wiggles.