General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got Blocked, kinda pissed.

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 12:47 PM
Steve On 3
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

Sucks to have your acess blocked. AS others have said it's his company and his computers and he can do as he will but he should apply the rules equally.

Old 11-11-2010, 01:31 PM
albertasaurus
Road Master
Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Yeah, I don't know why employers get their panties all bunched up just because someone's net surfing a little. I mean, none of us here would be upset if we mosied on back to the service area and saw the tech. picking out his next pair of boots on the interweb when he's supposed to be working on our bike. We all should accept and understand that a certain amount of personal surfing time is accounted for in the service rates we get quoted.

<sarcasm off>

Old 11-11-2010, 02:01 PM
dope_man_21
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Schaub85
Me and another guy at work frequent the Forums on our lunch break. Lunch times vary, we basically get to take it when ever we want. So I go to login Monday only to find the site blocked. Get to pokin around and come to find out everything harley related is blocked. I cant even ****ing google the word harley. Sooo what the hell?!1 Start asking around...ask my boss(the owners son) first, says he doesnt know and doesnt want anything to do with it. Then I ask the IT guy and he informs me that the owner told him to block everything harley related. I was like WTF why? He informs me he just does as hes told. Reenter my boss. He then proceeded to tell me that his dad wanted it blocked cause he saw me surfin the net at almost 3 in the afternoon. To which I quickly responded that I was in fact on my lunch break. So the hunters can look at kill videos, and look at guns. the sports fans can watch highlights. and so on. I feel I'm being singled out just because he has some deep hatred for motorcycles. So many double standards at my shop its ridiculous.

Surely I'm just over reacting but damnit its got me pissed off. oh and I'm expecting plenty of "quit your bitching comments", i just needed to get it off my chest.
PM sent to the OP.

Old 11-11-2010, 02:45 PM
"Dutch"
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Schaub85
Just for the record, once again.....I WAS NOT ON THE CLOCK. It was approx 2:50, I had just finished my food. I was just finishing out my half hour break. I actually even remember him walking through and giving me a weird look.

We can take our lunch almost any time we want. I'd honestly say any time after 3 is the cut off. After that its kind of frowned on. By we I mean approx 50% of the shop goes by this. Even my boss. We dont have scheduled lunches because sometimes your just in the middle of something and need to keep your groove. Or maybe something has to be done by a certain time of day so you blow through what would be a normal lunch time to make sure its done.

I agree with everyone who has said "his place, his rules" which is exactly why I have not confronted him about it. That and I know confronting him isnt going to change anything.

I've worked for him for over 6 years now and I really dont know why I'm surprised. He is really bad about not confronting someone when it happens. He'd rather just go tell someone else to deal with it.

I do have a blackberry. And I do, have, and will use it to surf. The PC is just much more convenient.

Thanks for all the input.
As stated by you, along with many others “his house, his rules.” Perception may not always be reality. By what he saw he assumed you were screwing off on “company time” when actually you’re on your lunch break, as your side of the story states. It would have taken minimal time to inquire about what you were up to. Instead he did what he did in a non-confrontational manner. Which is fine, but if blocking internet access is his way of managing. He should have instructed the IT people to block all other traffic non-work related. Punish one, punish them all. That is fair and balanced in a non-confrontational managerial style. I digress.

Since nobody at your place of employment want to ask questions but rather assume. I don’t know your work or occupation, or rules at work. But taking the “last ten minutes” of your lunch break to surf hdforums to me was a bad decision, on your part. It obviously did not look good and you should have asked yourself that question. The way you confronted the boss’ son and the IT guy was bad decision number two. That only brought negative light to your situation. Knowing your employer or boss is a non-aggressive type manager and regards perception over reality, you placed yourself in a bad situation.

Someone here said they make it a point to “telegraph” from their desk, to everyone, that they are at lunch. Since fifty percent of the workforce agrees with adjusted lunch hours dictated by company work load. Maybe you too should make it a point to your immediate supervisor, or the boss’ son, when you will be on your lunch break. Especially when it is not during normal lunch times, this could avoid any confusion with management when you are eating a sandwich at your desk. You don’t want to be labeled as that guy in the office.

With the current state of this Country and the economy unemployment is rising, there is lower profit for employers, the possibility of higher taxes for employers to pay for national health care for its employees. Companies are looking for reason to show people the door. It is best to just get what needs to be done at work and leave personal matters, personal at your personal time. By taking business time, unless your lunch is unpaid, to surf H-D sites you appear to be the “slacker” or “that guy” employee.

Old 11-11-2010, 03:01 PM
obonaven
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lunch or not it's still the Company Internet connection.

Old 11-11-2010, 03:31 PM
Gruamach
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Best thing about working from home....I can sit naked and download **** if I wanted to.

(and no, I don't do that....not during the day at least. I just play lots of computer games while waiting for the office to call when someone breaks something)

Old 11-11-2010, 03:38 PM
HOG_0308
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dont bother with the race card, Whitie has no rights in America!

Old 11-11-2010, 03:41 PM
"Dutch"
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HOG_0308

WTF!?!? Where did that come from?

Old 11-11-2010, 03:51 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,239 Likes on 1,850 Posts

What is this world coming to? Imagine that someone actually expects you to work while at work. Pffft.

Old 11-11-2010, 03:54 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,371 Likes on 2,543 Posts

Originally Posted by HOG_0308
really? gonna go there? the op did not bring up any color at all in his post. now if he said he were white, and was working for a <insert here>, and his stuff were blocked, while those of the same ethnicity were allowed to surf unchecked, then maybe, maybe, you could go there.

i always laugh at the guys who go to the extreme, 'you are on company time, you are not doing company business, therefor, you are stealing'... i could see if you were surfing the net and had a backlog of work to do, then it would be an issue. but, not all jobs are that way, mine comes in waves. i can go for a couple of hours with nothing to do, and then be swamped. so, is it wrong for me to be here right now, when i really don't have anything else going on? maybe yes, maybe no... but i'm glad my employer doesn't really care as long as i get my job done.

for those who suggest to bring in your own laptop, ipad, etc. i don't know about their it department, but that wouldn't work here. it isn't the specific computer that is blocked, but the network firewall is. so my personal laptop would be restricted just as his computer was.

i like my job, and as such, i put forth more effort than i would otherwise. on the other hand, my kid used to work at mcdonalds. they had a policy that if you stood still for longer than 30 seconds, you were 'on break' and expected to clock out. if my job here were like that, i wouldn't like it, and wouldn't work as hard as i do. gotta strike a balance somewhere.

Quick Reply: Got Blocked, kinda pissed.