General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got Blocked, kinda pissed.

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 12:00 AM
SeLFiSh 1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FenceSC
Use this advice at your own risk, but there is a way around most blocking software. Go to Google, look to the lower right of the search box for 'language tools'. Click on that and in the box below 'Translate a webpage' type in www.hdforums.com. Choose any language to English, it doesn't matter, and click translate. The language tools uses a proxy server that the blocking software doesn't recognise as being on the blocked list. You should then be able to surf. Just don't tell them how you did it if you get caught.
Talk about the back door policy. I like it.

Old 11-11-2010, 12:50 AM
Motorbones
Road Master

You could find out what the Boss likes and surf that at 3:00 in the afternoon for a few days and see if he has the juevos to block that out as well. BTW way sometimes the word BOSS is a backwards double S.O.B.!!!

Old 11-11-2010, 01:06 AM
HoggyMtnBreakdown
Elite HDF Member
Received 121 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by txfxstrider
I have been retired for quite a few years so I guess times have changed. Back in the day the time when you were paid belonged to whoever was paying you. Sure some made a few personal phone calls but if it became a common occurrence, you were told to desist and if you continued you were looking for another job. I believed then, and still believe, that your personal life should be taken care of off the job.

Ah, this younger generation.
Depends on the job.
If you are paid hourly and time at your job IS money, then you ought not to be doing anything but work during work hours, except on break. If you get paid a monthly salary to get a certain job done or bring a certain result, then there should be no problems with doing personal activities during work hours, as long as you get done what you are paid to do and don't use company utilities or equipment to do it. Perhaps that's an oversimplification, but like I said, it depends on the job and on company policy.

The OP made it clear that he was 1) on a break and 2) that there are other people surf the Internet on company equipment w/o penalty, while he was singled out. Sounds like the company has a double standard. The company will probably come down on all Internet users eventually and eliminate all surfing on company PCs, when enough noise is made.

I also suggest you bring your own devices to surf on: iPhone, iPad, laptop, Myfi, etc. I bring my own laptop and portable wifi to work. That way, all surfing is done on my dime.

Old 11-11-2010, 01:25 AM
Thatzmister2u
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, you can click start-run type cmd at the prompt and then type ping www.hdforums.com then record the IP and enter it directly in your browser (fly right by the blacklist software IT guy is using. But do so at your own risk. Owners equipment and rules but fun to stick it to 'em! Lol!

Old 11-11-2010, 01:36 AM
GMbagger
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Get a cheap laptop and surf all you want. You can fit one in a backpack on a bike.

Old 11-11-2010, 02:18 AM
DinoVelvet
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by IndyClassic
You're right.....it's not fair but it is the owners prerogative. Does not make for a happy workplace, maybe not a good long term move on the owners part but not much you can do.

Based on what you say about the IT guy and son's response sounds like owner-Dad might have a bit of a Napoleon attitude anyway.

Old 11-11-2010, 02:31 AM
onfloat
Cruiser

iPads are nice for doing a little surfin' on the net.

Old 11-11-2010, 04:30 AM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA. South Carolina to be exact.
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by iamswutiams
i use my fone
droid...........

Old 11-11-2010, 04:59 AM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

sounds like someone is actually afraid to confront you about, and hence why the boss lied to your face initially. He knew, but wasn't man enough.
Man enough? He was man enough to build his own business and hire others to help him gain profit.

His puter, he can block anything he wants. Nothing to do with manhood.

Really curious why one would wait until "3 pm" to take lunch, then surf instead of eat. Were you REALLY on lunch?
Maybe instead of blocking sites, he should have made a "lunch at noon" policy.
get one of them there whistles that tells ya when to sit down.

Old 11-11-2010, 05:19 AM
SeniorChief56
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Coast Guard
Received 17,586 Likes on 5,093 Posts

his shop his rules,,,but who takes"lunch" at 3pm?

Quick Reply: Got Blocked, kinda pissed.