General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got Blocked, kinda pissed.

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 08:59 PM
JollyRogers
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am the IT guy at my company. What I found interesting is when I started looking at the logs myself. ESPN, eBay, you name it... all kinds of people surfing non-work related stuff. I turned the logs off BTW.

You ever here of a proxy? If you have internet access, then blocking you is pretty hard to do, if you know how to get around it. I would think someone would have asked about it directly first before blocking you... sounds like someone is actually afraid to confront you about, and hence why the boss lied to your face initially. He knew, but wasn't man enough.

Old 11-10-2010, 09:00 PM
creatv1
Tourer

Wish my boss would do that so that I could get the h$11 off this forum and get some work done... oh yeah, I am my boss.

Old 11-10-2010, 09:01 PM
2kids3pets
Elite HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

All our internet activity is log and no personnel internet use is allowed...company computer company rules

Old 11-10-2010, 09:28 PM
vistavette
Stellar HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 129 Posts

Glad I'm self employed. Get a Blackberry, I-Phone, or similar and surf all you want

Old 11-10-2010, 10:49 PM
TXCOMMISH
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am the "Boss" at my "company," and I don't mind a little casual surfing by employees. The gals usually buy shoes and such and the guys surf sports or Harleys or hunting like you said. Sounds like the "Dad" in this may just be an anti-Harley/motorcycle *****. I gotta agree though, his house / his rules. Get yourself one of those little netbook puters that are made just for surfing and make sure everyone knows you're at lunch.

Old 11-10-2010, 10:55 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Surfing the net on company time at my place gets your paycheck docked at a rate of $100/hr in 1 hour increments. So, go ahead...be my guest

Why should any employer pay people to surf the web on equipment meant to make the business income. No different than theft.

Old 11-10-2010, 11:00 PM
AThousandHurricanes
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 11-10-2010, 11:04 PM
DeadBirdDog
Advanced

Originally Posted by KBFXDLI

Why should any employer pay people to surf the web on equipment meant to make the business income. No different than theft.
So..you take or make any personal phone calls on the company phone? What's the difference?

Happy employees are productive employees. Any good boss knows who takes care of business and who doesn't. Acting like a dick boss with those kind of rules does nothing but flatten morale and reduce output.

Old 11-10-2010, 11:44 PM
red devil
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The difference between you and the other guys that surf the net is....YOU got caught lol!

Old 11-10-2010, 11:53 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

I have been retired for quite a few years so I guess times have changed. Back in the day the time when you were paid belonged to whoever was paying you. Sure some made a few personal phone calls but if it became a common occurrence, you were told to desist and if you continued you were looking for another job. I believed then, and still believe, that your personal life should be taken care of off the job.

Ah, this younger generation.

Quick Reply: Got Blocked, kinda pissed.