Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Guardian Angel Bell

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 07:30 AM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by DMorr99
I think they're gay.
Well, there are a lot of stories on line about were the bells first started. I don't buy the Mexico gremlin one because i know its a camp fire thing.
I had an old timer ask me once if i knew were they started and of course all i knew was the "to keep gremlins off your bike so it doesn't break down" story.
He said something about back when someone thought it might be a good idea to circle track race bikes, there was a very successful and popular racer who's last name was "Bell". So his die hard fans started putting bell's on the bottom of there bikes to show support for there favorite racer. After a while he had a pretty good following and a tradition started were if you broke down on the highway with your bike and another biker stopped to help, you would give your bell to the helping biker to show thanks.
I've never seen anything on line to support this tale, anyone else ever heard this version and know the whole story.

Maybe not so dumb if you know the real history?

Old 11-11-2010, 07:37 AM
88racing
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have moved mine from bike to bike and there wasn't any issues.......

Old 11-11-2010, 08:46 AM
GSD4EVR
Cruiser

I have one on my bike that was given to me by some dear friends the day I picked my bike up from the dealer. It was given to protect the me, the rider, and the bike. I would definitely move the bell to another bike should the need arise.
That little bell reminds me there is someone who is looking out for me - which in this crazy world, goes a long way!

Old 11-11-2010, 10:37 AM
RaceFace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

My girlfriend gave me mine and put it on the day I brought my bike home. So far, so good....

Old 11-11-2010, 10:56 AM
miami
Road Master
Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

My gf gave me a gift card to pick out the one that I wanted. It's been on there since I got the bike.

Old 11-11-2010, 11:27 AM
cayers
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine came with the bike and has only been off once when I installed the oil cooler. Don't know if it does anything, battery and stator both went bad but nothing worse so I guess it might be working.

Later.......

Old 11-11-2010, 12:02 PM
caberto
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by RaceFace
My girlfriend gave me mine and put it on the day I brought my bike home. So far, so good....
+1. My girlfriend was with me when I picked up the bike and bought it for me the same day at the dealer. Put it on when we got home. It's nice to have there, and is a nice visual reminder that someone cares about me... On turns I sometimes hear it... it's a cool feeling.

Old 11-11-2010, 12:14 PM
FLUltrarider
Road Warrior

I have one given me by my girlfriend. I've never heard it can't be transferred to aanother bike.

Old 11-11-2010, 12:27 PM
bradsULtd
HDF Community Team
Received 530 Likes on 379 Posts

My GF's sistah (Thanks Brenda!) just gave me one recently...where do you all secure it?
Thanks...B

Old 11-11-2010, 12:28 PM
Spurrs
Cruiser
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Cool

I have one on my bike but I am worried that it will void the warranty, so I take it off before I have any work done on it.

Also, do you think silver bells work better than black or gold bells? I heard the silver one's were louder.

Quick Reply: Guardian Angel Bell