General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cooooooold Weather Riders.

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 09:51 AM
Sporty12C
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cooooooold Weather Riders.

I am a new rider having my sporty for almost 2 months now. It was my first bike every and I love it. I plan on riding well into the cold weather season and want to get some suggestions for cold weather gear you guys are wearing. For now I have been wearing leathers(gloves, jacket, chaps) but know I will need something more. What are some articles of clothing you guys are wearing for cold weather rides? I will definately need a WARM pair of gloves because my daily commute is 1 hour each way to work at speeds of 50 - 80mph.

Old 09-21-2006, 09:58 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Cooooooold Weather Riders.

Look into heated grips, vest and chaps. Also a windshield. A full face helmet will be much warmer than any other kind of helmet. At a camping specialty store you can buy a fleece collar similar to a turtle neck for comfort around your jacket opening. When it gets below 40 watch out for that little trickle of water running across the road. If it's frozen you're going down.

Old 09-21-2006, 10:05 AM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 82 Likes on 77 Posts

This all depends on what sort of clothing you have to wear at work....But if you gotta wear some sort of business attire or work inside, I'd invest in a dedicated cold weather suit. I'm looking into Carharts and other makes. I'll probably have to modify the pant cuff and wrist cuffs with some Velcro to close them a bit snugger. Then get some heated gloves and socks. You don't want heated gloves/socks...Get insulated gauntlets, and put another pair of cloth gloves inside them. Find a pair of boots you can ride in (one's that let you use the shifter/brake without problems) and use a wool/Goretex sock combination. If you don't have a windshield on the Sporty consider one, or get some form of face protection......30 degree weather+highway speeds=Frostbite (or a really good windburn). Wear a turtle neck or have something to protect your neck area. Make sure they have hot coffee ready when you get to work.....

Old 09-21-2006, 10:05 AM
sleepneagle
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I ride with a full face helmet and wear a snow mobile suit. It's two piece and don't suffer and restrictions like you would in insulated carhart coveralls. check out www.sportsmansguide.com
type keyword mossi in the search. I have thought about heated grips, except I really like my grips and don't want to change. Guess I'll have to go to HD for some cold weather heated gloves.

Old 09-21-2006, 10:06 AM
JollyRogers
Road Master

I were my FXRG jacket and have the tour master $100 overpants, and tourmaster elite winter gloves. It was 48 this AM on the ride in (45 minutes @ 60mph+) and all was good except my face. I wear a 3/4 helmet and goggles, no windshield. I will be adding a baklava and full face helmet to my collection real soon.

Old 09-21-2006, 10:08 AM
KeithB
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a an Olympia riding suit two piece, that has insulated , water proof liners. I also have a hood that goes inside my ful face helmet and has flaps that tuk into your jacket to keep your neck warm.

I need to find warmer gloves this year

Old 09-21-2006, 10:35 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Forget heated grips. Get heated gloves, along with a jacket liner. I bought Gerbings gloves and a liner a couple of years ago. It was the best motorcycle accessory money that I have ever spent. We left going to Daytona in 17* weather riding the interstate. We stayed warm. I put a wiring harness in my Jeep. I use the heated gear on cool topless nights. Good stuff.

Old 09-21-2006, 10:45 AM
went_postal
Outstanding HDF Member

DuoFold.... Don't leave home without them. Probably the BEST thermal undies you will ever find. When the temp gets down to about 35 or so I just wear the duofold under my jeans and I do pretty good. My leather is normally enough to keep out a lot of the ick.

Good socks andn good gloves are a must. My gloves suck... And I use liners in them... still not good enough.

Old 09-21-2006, 11:44 AM
bikergirl40
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have never had any luck with anything else but a heater jacket. You now, the kind that plugs in. It is THE best invention there is, as far as I'm concerned. The nice part about it, is it keeps me warm and is not as bulky as adding sweaters or heavy jackets. I wear it over a long sleeved T-shirt and under my leather jacket. That's it! No bulk. I also have the heated gloves that plug in (but I find them them really bulky and stiff) and plug in socks. When I need a little extra, I just wear my rain suit over the whole kitandkaboodle (this cuts the wind). It has that "Ooooohhhh....Now THAT's what I'm talk'in about" factor! ... toasty warm!

Old 09-21-2006, 11:54 AM
thumper 29
Outstanding HDF Member

I have an old full riding suit that I have had for years that was unwillingly tested at -7 degrees!
Make sure to get a suit, if you do get one that fits big on you, that way you can put on all kinds of crap,
and be comfortable (and movable)!
I am not sure about the hands and feet what is best, since I will rarely ride when it gets too cold anymore.
But those are what you need to really concentrate on, and make the biggest investment IMO.

Quick Reply: Cooooooold Weather Riders.